Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Sort List of Playlists alphabetically

How about ordering playlists alphabetically? I'm paying for this service and this feature is the most common and easiest one even for a free music player...

Updated on 2021-07-07

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that sorting your lists of playlists alphabetically is now available across devices. There's more info here.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Olcique

Yes "prodyel" you are missing couple things. First, they only made this change on ipad about a week ago. When you say "already" it sounds like it was like that from the beginning. Secondly the title says "all platforms". I use spotify on android phone, on pc, on mac, on ipad, even on ps3...
Last but the most important thing is I think you misunderstood the whole concept. We are talking about ordering playlists, not the songs. There is no "title" button at playlist side on pc version...

prodyel

Sorry, fair enough, thankyou for the correction, although I would point out that the filter top option appears above the playlist dropdown too [iPad only]- but for some reason doesn't work within the folders.

The already exist part one was part was true, if invalid in my understanding of the problem; I don't wok for spotify of course and don't know when such things did appear.

Obviously I don't have access to All platforms, so we can let that one go.

But all around - got you, and agree that such options should be there. I will add kudos to it, though I would like to remind spotify that it would need to be done in the folder's organisation too - which it isn't currently being done on iPad.

@Olcique wrote:

How about ordering playlist alphabetically? I'm paying for this service and this feature is the most common and easiest one even for a free music player...

I know this may sound a little pedantic, and hence I made a point of saying sorry from the outset so as not to scapegoat my response, but I think the title and idea should refer to 'playlist lists', from 'playlist(s)' singular as they can be so easily confused.

Prodyel is missing that the function s(he) is mentioning is merely for viewing and not actually sorting the playlists. For example this filtering does nothing for the problem of finding a playlist when adding something to it.
prodyel

I had already both recognised my mistake and apologised for it. (see one above your last post.)

ok sorry
Olcique

Hi Prodyel,

It's me again. I see that you recognised your mistake which you don't even have to apologised for, but the problem is you are making new ones. I really don't understand what you're up to... My mother tongue is not English but "playlist sorting option" means "sorting playlists" not "sorting songs". I don't understand anything from "playlists lists" or "playlist(s)". Just let it go man. Then you won't sound like pedantic. Title is refering to playlists, if it wasn't, most people wouldn't understand to give kudos I guess. So I think everything is kinda cool for now...

Bests,

Olcique

prodyel

Olcique,

The reason I made the new statement was that the majority of people do have English as their mother tongue. It is the reason that I made my mistake in the first place.

"Ordering playlist alphabetically" speciically means ordering the contents of the playlist alphabetically as playlist is a collective noun.

"Ordering playlists list alphabetically" specifically means ordering the collection of playlist themselves.

One might even infer that more kudos would be obtained but for people like me that see that ordering playlists alphabetically IS possible and thus seeing no reason to give said reccomendation kudos.

What I am up to is the same thing everyone else is - trying to help!

Olcique

Ok Prodyel,

I'm sorry that my keyboard couldn't sense the "s" button while I was writing "playlist(s)". Now it's plural and I'm sure it's %100 correct even if I learned English from a Martian. Thank you for your huge contributions and an English lecture. I'm not here to argue with you, I'm not here to show off. I'm only here to make this title function properly and it's seems to be working... Now if you excuse me, I've got more important things to do than answering your highbrow suggestions.

Farewell!

kepler200

I always appreciate that people from other countries are willing to learn English, and I apologize for myself and my lazy countrymen who don't learn at least one foreign language. I do not expect anyone to speak my language perfectly- it is enough that they care to speak it at all. And now, back to our Movie, "Why SPOTIFY Is So LAME As To Not Allow Alphabetical Playlist Sorting".

Why does this have to be an Act of Congress??

SPOTIFY, WHAT is your PROBLEM???? The technical challenges are "Coding 101"...I could code this in my SLEEP, in 5 minutes!!!!

Olcique

Thanks kepler200,

I assure you that I agree with you in many cases. But there's no need be rude about it. I know you are pissed because I do too. Being sarcastic will do more than being disrespectful I believe. This feature is so fundamental that I still don't understand why they are making it so much difficult to achieve.

I've checked that this idea was first published from someone in 2012. But he/she made the title as sorting playlist by artist. Actually, in principle the guy meant the same thing as I do. Anybody who has common sense would understand that the guy was trying to point out the same problem. But the managers twisted the langue somehow and didn't care the request at all. This is sincerely annoying. So this has been an argument since 2012, can you imagine?

Well I don't have that much time honestly and by the end of this year, if this problem won't be solved I've decided to cancel my membership. It's sheer nonsense to use a music player with unorganized playlists and also pay for it. I don't care how many new features you have, I don't care if I can control pc platform from another device, you've got to understand that it's extremely difficult to use spotify under these circumstances.