Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Automatically save offline new Podcasts and remove completed Podcasts

Add the ability to have a podcast you follow automatically downloaded and deleted once you've listened to it all the way through.

Updated on 2022-12-20

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on all platforms. Our developers have worked their magic backstage and made this possible now! 

The frequency of removal of episodes can be adjusted from the cogwheel icon in "Your episodes". 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
notCaseyWebb

Pretty frustrating that Spotify is signing exclusive deals so you have no option but to use their app, yet they neglect one of the most important features for a podcasting app.

Robabb

How has this been a new idea since 2021 and still not implemented? This is a CORE feature for a mobile podcast app. What's the incentive that's stopping Spotify from adding the functionality?

Shame on Spotify, you've increased the subscription cost yet still don't listen to users after 5 years of asking! I'm cancelling.

Markhansen240

Doesn't make sense how these guys run a service that is now largely based around podcasting and still don't have the simplest options. Auto download and delete would increase their market share dramatically and their current customers would be so much happier with the service. It is literally the #1 reason people don't use Spotify and it is my #1 reason I won't be listening to podcasts on Spotify anymore.

Also no option to turn off video playback or download for any podcast but especially for a 3 hour plus podcast is absolutely ridiculous.

karlm724

One of my fav podcasts is now exclusive on Spotify. I tried the mobile app for a week, to see if it worked even a little like Castro in terms of organization, download management etc. Spotify should be ashamed that a free app is light years beyond what they have to offer. I went back to Castro, and am considering cancelling my paid Spotify account because how pathetic the app is. This feature cannot be so hard to implement that they would ignore the thousands of users that want this feature. 

Icaruscomplexz

Fun fact: in the year since my first comment on this basic feature missing, they started forcing ads on premium users instead. This means there's clearly work being done on the podcast side of the house, it's just not in improving the quality so much as soaking their user base. 

Free apps have this feature. You're getting double dipped ad revenue from paid subscribers and you still can't find the time to do this?

This is dumb.

z-nut

Google play music figured this out years ago, auto downloading only the last 3 episodes. Why can't Spotify?

Such_Bee9040

How are we in 2021 and this feature still hasn’t been implemented? I’m seriously considering abandoning Spotify completely if they don’t up their game and become competitive with other FREE apps on the market; why pay $10 when I can get better features elsewhere for $0??

theback80

Since Spotify bought Gimlet, I was forced to try them over my favorite podcasting app. It sucks for all the reasons stated in the last 23 pages of comments. Gimlet Media is a great podcasting company. Too bad they partnered with the worst tech company. Sorry Gimlet. You guys are great. But not good enough to make up for forcing me to use crappy apps. You just lost a listener.

FeltKnickers

You're idiots. Your podcast player is worthless without this.

Nobody721

This should be an option we already have, this is just a basic feature of a good podcast app