Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Automatically save offline new Podcasts and remove completed Podcasts

Add the ability to have a podcast you follow automatically downloaded and deleted once you've listened to it all the way through.

Updated on 2022-12-20

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on all platforms. Our developers have worked their magic backstage and made this possible now! 

The frequency of removal of episodes can be adjusted from the cogwheel icon in "Your episodes". 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Boone8466

Why isn’t this a feature? Seems easy to add from my standpoint.   If I’m running, I don’t want to stop to find a new podcast when I finish each one. 

bondi1

Also wondering why this still hasn’t been implemented after 6 years….. such an obvious and necessary feature. 

cour10e22

The functionality to control when podcast episodes are removed from the Your Episodes playlist is now available on the apps, but I'm not seeing it available on the Mac desktop app...which is weird. IMG_6655.PNG

Markhansen240
It’s still not automated. That is the basis of nearly any other podcasting
app
cour10e22

@Markhansen240 What do you mean not automated? This setting will automatically remove episodes from Your Episodes after they’re played (or other time settings).

Markhansen240
I updated my app this morning and still don’t see that setting, however
what I mean is that other podcasting apps automatically download the newest
episodes and then delete them after you listen. That way you have a rolling
set of podcasts that updates week to week to listen to and the only thing
you have to do is follow them. Even if they did add the setting to delete
after listening, which I don’t have, it doesn’t automatically download the
new releases and that is years behind other platforms
cour10e22
Oh yes, that is absolutely true that they don’t have that capability yet. I’m not sure if you’re on iOS, but I see a little gear icon when I’m on the Your Episodes screen that allows me to set the setting for removing the episodes.

Honestly what is more problematic for me is not wanting to use Spotify for podcasts at all, but now I have to if I want to listen to certain podcasts. I would much prefer to use Overcast for all my podcasts because it’s a dedicated podcast app that has a ton of advanced functionality. Spotify should at least let other apps access their “exclusive” podcasts. It’s not like you have to have a paid Spotify account to listen to podcasts anyway, so I’m not quite sure why they have to be only available via the Spotify app.
hytea

Playlists have the auto-download feature. Just turn a user's followed podcasts into a playlist....

Markhansen240
It’s not automated and I’d rather not have my phones storage full of 1600
of joe rogans three hour podcasts
And does that autoupdate as new episodes are released?