Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Possibility to add friends without Facebook Accounts (Spotify ID)

Hi! I just stumbled across a problem; I have friends who don't have facebook / don't use facebook / who hate facebook.

I tried searching a way to add them as friends so I could send them songs and see their playlists etc, but I was unable to find a solution... 

Suggestion:

- To be able to add friends using their Spotify login ID

- To be able to see their actions in Spotify Social (what they are listening to)

2015-01-08

Hey everyone! You can now find your friends by searching for either their Spotify username or their full name (if their Spotify account is linked to their Facebook).

Thanks for kudos and comments on this idea. We'd love to keep getting your feedback around this feature! 

Comments
tarajoseph

I have an URGENT question, how do I just follow a playlist (someone gave me the name of the playlist) but I do not know his username? 

tangerinehead

Any updates to this searchable-without-Facebook request?  It is desperately needed and seems incredibly archaic to not have these capabilities. I am a premium member without Facebook and I'm always tempted to cancel my account because of how hard it is for me to connect and share with friends. It severely limits my capabilities and user experience, and obviously I am not the only one after reading this thread!

the_jez

Totally agreed with the others. The process for people adding friends without Facebook is unnecessarily lame. This is 2014 and I'm paying for a service to a social music site where I can't find my friends easily. Not good enough. 

After my friend sent me screenshots of his Spotify profile page (which contained his name-which apparently I can't search for) In the end I had to message my friend with a link to the login page. He sent a screenshot of that after he logged in, which contains an abstract number. Searching for "spotify:user:<abstract number> worked. What an utter pain in the ass. Get this sorted, Spotify!

rreboto

I just recently submitted a suggestion to find users with the '@' sign rather than 'spotify:user:' here.  I would make sharing easier too!  🙂

dohicks
I agree with tangerinehead completely. I have just been going through extracting my Spotify account from it's association with Facebook. Painful and awkward and have lost a valuable Playlist along this path. Now i have to find a convenient way to reconnect with the few friends who use Spotify and I like to share music with -- why this is such a PITA I can not imagine.
mtech10809

Spotify,

If you want to increase your customer base, you should add the function of sharing music with friends by adding an email address.

If I like the music and want my friends to add spotify, the only way is to share the music thru spotify.  If they don't like to use facebook or  doesn't have spotify, than that means they are out of luck.

In turn, I have to cut and paste the song and go thru another souce.. such as youtube or other means.

If anything, something like your friend is sharing a song with you, than take them to a page to sign up for spotify in order to see the song I am sharing with them.

Just my opionion to increase your user base.

darkevada

I VOTE FOR AN INDEPENDENT SPOTIFY COMMUNITY

It has been 4 years since Spotify was launched so the continued 'under consideration' response implies that the developers aren't doing anything. For Spotify premium customers without a Facebook account we are unable to share music, follow other people's playlists which is my biggest issue since closing my FB account.

"Connecting Spotify to your Facebook account is the best way to share and discover new music with friends." This is not the best way IT IS THE ONLY WAY.

Facebook is dead and dying to a growing list of people - time to move forward Spotify because this is the single thing that is holding your product back from being the best online music player EVER.

kt0theg

Recently deactivated my facebook profile and was pretty discouraged to learn that I lost everything I had on spotify... radio stations, followers, followings, playlists... everything...

I created a new account and came on this site trying to figure out how to add my friends who are facebook connected...  it seems the only way is to tell them how to search for me?   That. Is. Annoying.  I agree it is time to change and/or expand.  I would connect via Twitter if I could but alas, I am stuck... floating around with no connections to share with and use Spotify to its fullest.

Lets make this improvement. 

liquidice13

Even a "Search by Email Address" would be a great start.

domien

why is this still not available? I am an satisfied paying user, until I deleted mij Facebook account. I had to go through a lot with the customer service to reset all my playlist, had to make a new account. And now I can't find friends anymore. 

Please fix this spotify! It's completely ununderstandable that this feature isn't available in 2014!