Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for browsers

Andres (Employee) over 3 years ago:
"We have no plans to make a browser based version, we feel we can provide a much better product with an app and offer features which wouldn't be possible via a web browser."
Today, webapps are the most spread apps, as they work the same across devices (cross platform).
Three years ago, it would be difficult to build Spotify for browsers, because it would require APIs that you could not simply access from JavaScript. Today, with HTML5, APIs exists for:

Today, Google Chrome (the world's second largest browser) got all of these APIs and more (except WebRTC, but it's in the dev build, so it will soon be here too). Chrome even have it's own built-in appstore (Chrome Web Store) where users can install extension/apps, without having to restart their browser.

Another approach to get Spotify to the web is to use Native Client (NaCl) to compile C/C++ code for the web. An example is the game Bastion that was compiled with NaCl to run in Chrome.

This would be the easiest way for the Spotify developers, as they only had to tweak their code very little to make it compile with NaCl.

( Offtopic: I made a chrome extension for Spotify, which convert spotify links to links with mouseover info, for example image of the album, artist name, title of track, popularity. Get it HERE. Thank you :] )

Hello folks!

Now you can try our brand new web player at spotify.com

The web player will be a bonus if you can’t - or don’t want to - download our app. So whether you’re at the office, or round at a friend’s house, simply log in to your account and hit play. You can play the entire Spotify catalogue directly from any supported web browser. Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer are all included. The web player is available to all users, whether you’re Free, Unlimited or Premium.

Enjoy it!

Comments
DrBlast33

Using spotify at work would seal the deal on best streaming service.  We cannot install software on our work computers!

isellapples

Ditto, I cancelled my subscription because I'm not able to install the app on my work laptop. The same will apply to all of the other 150,000 people in the company I work for. Spotify on the phone, whilst good, is a pain in that data can be expensive and I'm rarely somewhere I can connect it to Wireless. Memory is also expensive real estate in a phone to be downloading more than a few carefully selected playlists.

Bring out a web based version and I'll be back. Grooveshark is pretty good except that their approach is flaud.

blau

Not planned?

NOT PLANNED?

Everytime I'm with friends how aren't using spotify I can't just install the Application. When I'm on a computer at the University or somewhere else, I can't just install the Application. Why isn't there a webplayer. All of the other streming services hav one. If Spotify wouldn't hav the cooler App with much more funtions I would change to another service just for a webplayer.

blau

Everytime I'm with friends how aren't using spotify I can't just install the Application.

When I'm on a computer at the University or somewhere else, I can't just install the Application.

Why isn't there a webplayer?

All of the other streaming services hav one. If Spotify wouldn't have the cooler App with much more funtions, I would change to another service just for a webplayer.

Sam

RonUSMC - I've moved your Idea over here, just to tidy up a bit. Don't worry, I've added the Kudos of your Idea to this one.

ultra-dave

Seems like there's alot of us here who are behind network protocols at work that won't allow Spotify...

It would only make sense for Spotify to develop (even a minor) web app.  I think the main reason behind not doing it is that many users pay the premium for the mobile app.  If you release a browswer based app - it's only a matter of time before the limited or free version is ported out to the mobile browser - losing $$ for Spotify.

Their whole "better user experience" is just a bunch of...

AlexMcCarthy

Last week I tried to introduce a friend to spotify. She was raving about a concert she went to, so I sent her a playlist I had lying around with some of the band's best songs.

I asked her if she checked it out, and she said "oh... I saw I had to install something, so I stopped."

A web version would've let her try out spotify without worrying about installing something (especially on a friend's or a work computer). Pretty please? 🙂

kttn13

Like many others, I can't use Spofify when I am connected on my compagny network because of the firewall.

I wll have to use Pandora at work unless they fix this but I much prefer Spotify. (I miss it ALOT when i'm at work)

Even though the Spotify team is marking this idea of not planned. I guarntee, they will have to develop a HTML5 Spotify App rather soon.

• Many of their competitors have HTML5 web apps, such as MOG, Rdio, Grooveshark. To stay competitive, they need to match their competitors.
  • Google's Chromebooks are increasing in popularity. Many services are building web apps to support this platform, such as Netflix. If Spotify wants to be featured on this platform, an HTML 5 app is required. 
  • Windows 8 tablets are expecred to be a huge success this year and next. Their apps are built in HTML 5. So if Spotify wants to feature on Windows 8 tablets, it will need to build a HTML 5 web app.

We are going to start to see more platforms (such as Smart TVs, Mac OS X, mobile devices, etc) move to HTML5 as a app development code base. We may not see a Spotify web app in the near feature, but will be coming.

MattSuda

I don't want to add unofficial news, but there just might be a web based version of Spotify in the works.

*wink* *wink*

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/08/spotify-browser/

(feel free to remove this post if it's violating rules)