Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for browsers

Andres (Employee) over 3 years ago:
"We have no plans to make a browser based version, we feel we can provide a much better product with an app and offer features which wouldn't be possible via a web browser."
Today, webapps are the most spread apps, as they work the same across devices (cross platform).
Three years ago, it would be difficult to build Spotify for browsers, because it would require APIs that you could not simply access from JavaScript. Today, with HTML5, APIs exists for:

Today, Google Chrome (the world's second largest browser) got all of these APIs and more (except WebRTC, but it's in the dev build, so it will soon be here too). Chrome even have it's own built-in appstore (Chrome Web Store) where users can install extension/apps, without having to restart their browser.

Another approach to get Spotify to the web is to use Native Client (NaCl) to compile C/C++ code for the web. An example is the game Bastion that was compiled with NaCl to run in Chrome.

This would be the easiest way for the Spotify developers, as they only had to tweak their code very little to make it compile with NaCl.

( Offtopic: I made a chrome extension for Spotify, which convert spotify links to links with mouseover info, for example image of the album, artist name, title of track, popularity. Get it HERE. Thank you :] )

Hello folks!

Now you can try our brand new web player at spotify.com

The web player will be a bonus if you can’t - or don’t want to - download our app. So whether you’re at the office, or round at a friend’s house, simply log in to your account and hit play. You can play the entire Spotify catalogue directly from any supported web browser. Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer are all included. The web player is available to all users, whether you’re Free, Unlimited or Premium.

Enjoy it!

Comments
licenced
Saw that Via The Verge this morning too. Interesting, although I'd hope to keep the standalone app as a web front end would allow downloaded playlists for those occasions when there's a problem with the Spotify servers or my own net connection
MattSuda

Yeah, they will most definitely keep the desktop app and it will still be the main way to use Spotify.

We could even see a redesigned desktop app. I hope so! 😃

I think since it's been highly requested, they are launching a web version so their service is more accessible to compete with Rdio. 

This is coming!

Read today about this in news!

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/08/spotify-browser/ - Spotify Will Launch A Browser-Based Version

Erowtom

Another about Spotify Browser version coming ! 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9532943/Spotify-will-launch-browser-based-version.html

Waiting for it ! 
Would love to Beta-Test it ! 

Noget

play.spotify.com

MattSuda

Beta rolling out within next few months:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/15/3649068/spotify-browser-player-web-app

Will go public Q1 of 2013

mackaaij

Very nice job on the webbased player!

Looks like play.spotify.com has no setting to stop it from pushing whatever you play to Facebook. That would be nice to have.

gsander3

My company, I assume like many, have locked down our machines and do not let us download programs without permission. This effectively ends my relationship with Spotify as I use it primarily at work. Until its in a browser, a la Pandora, I can't use it 90% of the time.

Rorey
Status changed to: Watch this space

This is one time I'm all too happy to go back on my words from my previous update.

We're happy to announce that we have a beta web player available to some users. Keep in mind the beta version is still being worked on and will be available in the early part of next year. For now, try it out at play.spotify.com.

Since we're still in testing, that link might not work for everyone at the moment. If you're unlucky enough to not be taking part in the beta please just sit tight and we hope to be able to bring you the Web Player as quickly as possible.

We'll update this thread once the official version is released.

wickedares

one thing that i would like to see impliminted is a way to sort your playlist columns i dont even know how its sorted atm. but it would be awesome to sort it by artist