Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Way to prevent duplicates in playlists.

I have big playlists, and would like a built in way to prevent duplicates from occuring in my playlists.  This could be an option to prevent, or select/hide duplicates.

Update 2015-03-17

Hello everyone. Spotify here. With the latest release of the Desktop app, this feature is now available across Desktop, iOS and Android. Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 16.42.29.png

Comments
Ale5ander

I like to sort all my songs by playlists. Sometimes I add songs twicely (eg song released as single and then included in album). Spotify knows that I like songs like this and recomend it to me. I may forget that I already added it in my liked songs and special playlist and will add it second time. It create a chaos in my library.

Spotify already have a feature that check if song already in this playlist but in works only for current song and ID3 tags should match 100%.

I suggest to check not only for 100% match but for next tags:

1. name of song;

2. artist.

It should be enough to avoid situations like this. On my screenshot you may see same song from same artist but in different albums.

2019-11-25_12-48-43.png

EBReggie

Can someone IMPROVE this feature so that the same songs from different albums aren't duplicated in playlists?

Georgie

@EBReggie that's not a feature I want personally. As some artists I follow will release demo versions and variants of the same song with the same title on other albums (without marking it as a demo or a variant)

headey

I would like the song title to include the reason it is different (year_liveplace_remix_demo_sensored_etc).

sdl8115

This duplicate "warning" feature does not work for me ?

Katerina

This post was removed for violating the Community Terms and Conditions, specifically "Avoid double posting". Any users posting the same content multiple times will have their posts removed. For more information please read here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/Reminder-Spotify-Community-Guidelines/td-p/4786834

by04w-_6zl26f

It looks like there has been a regression, because I'm no longer warned of duplicates when adding songs to a playlist anymore.

Ikiryo

Dear Spotify,

This function seems to have been removed? It doesn't work on my PC anymore and I was really greatful for it's existence. 

Is there any news on this? I have no clue where to post this so I'm hoping you will see this reply on an older post.

sirs2305

I'm having issues with this feature as well.  It isn't completely gone, but only works sporadically.  I was adding music to a playlist today, and the first 3 or 4 duplicates it caught, but then failed to recognize any after that.

The duplicates were complete duplicates as well, not different versions of the same song.  In fact, to verify this, I added the exact same song three times in a row, and it never identified them as duplicates.  When I went to the playlist, the song was listed three times in a row, so the system recognized the "add" function to the playlist, but failed to identify the duplicate when added again.

I'm dealing with playlists of hundreds of songs, and having to scroll through for every new add to make sure it isn't a duplicate is not a viable option.

Ikiryo

At the moment the function warning about duplicates seems to be working fine again for me. But I can relate to the hassle it causes when it doesn't work properly when it concerns big playlists. 

It's too bad no one from Spotify has taken an effort to get back to us on the forums when addressing an issue with functionality. Certainly since the problem has been addressed several times now over a couple of months.

(But in general I'm just happy it's working for me again.)