Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Way to prevent duplicates in playlists.

I have big playlists, and would like a built in way to prevent duplicates from occuring in my playlists.  This could be an option to prevent, or select/hide duplicates.

Update 2015-03-17

Hello everyone. Spotify here. With the latest release of the Desktop app, this feature is now available across Desktop, iOS and Android. Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 16.42.29.png

Comments
Rorey

Hi all,

You may have noticed this idea took a bit of a jump in terms of ranking in the idea exchange. 

The reason is because I've merged another idea previously titled "Remove double entries in playlists automatically or show the playlist where the song is already" into this thread.  The merge should reflect the two posts collective kudos weight, as well as consolidate the conversation.  

Keep the feedback coming. 

Yes please, add this option to Spotify.

Thank you and bye.

Rorey
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

JDL

I left Rhapsody for this very same lack of feature.  At least Spotify has one playlist that cannot have duplicate tracks... the Starred playlist.  Lets see how long one playlist will satisfy me.  I presume not long but fortunately I like to listen to my favorite songs from all different genres randomized.  I have been asking Rhapsody to add such a feature for a long time now and I believe they do have something that can do it but only in the desktop version which I do not use.  It's kinda hard to carry around my desktop computer in my pocket.  Not only do I need this no duplicates feature, I need it in iOS.  It is such a fundamental feature necessary for any serious music management software.  It's so basic, this should be developers first priorty. I won't stick around for long without it.

nyrk
Couldn't agree more! This is a basic feature imo! Why would someone have duplicates of the exact same file within one and the same playlist? I don't see why such basic, but important features (along with alphabetical sorting and searching on all platforms) were not implemented up front.
Maetco

Most music players have either "remove duplicates" or "hide duplicates" function. Spotify needs a way to manage duplicates as well. Any way to do it would be an improvement but I'm in favour of being able to remove duplicates.

Completely agree with this!

Luke1322

I love the star button.  I love it.  I often star things as I listen, and then put starred songs into playlists.  However, I don't always remove them from the starred list.  I would like a simple way to scroll through my starred list, or any list for that matter, and see if a song exists in one of my other playlists already.  This could be done with a simple icon, and the icon could even link to the list and/or identify the list the song is in with a mouseover.

avalancha
In Winamp it's implemented in a way that if you drop a track on a playlist it is already in then it's simply not added. No error-handling, no time loss, please add this to Spotify! 🙂

Hey, do not worry. I created a guide where you can delete all duplicates in no time - less than a minute... http://community.spotify.com/t5/Community-Contribution/Delete-duplicates-from-Spotify-playlist-in-mi...