Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Add & Remove Content separately (Artist, Album, Songs)

I am really enjoying the new update that I received earlier today that adds the "Your Music" area to Spotify, but I would like to throw out some ideas to help make the feature more enjoyable.

While using the new + feature to add songs to the songs list in the "Your Music" area I noticed that it also adds the artist and the album to their respected areas. You should be able to remove an album and/or artist from their list without it removing that specific song from it's list. This feature should be implemented for the song, artist, and album section.

Example:

If I click the new + symbol on the song: "Bun B - Get Throwed", it will add it to the song, artist, and album list in the new "Your Music" section.

If I remove that song from the "song" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song from the artist and album list as well.
If I remove that album from the "album" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song and artist list as well.

If I remove that artist from the "artist" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song and album list as well.

I should be able to edit and arrange these individual list to my liking. If I want a "Bun B" track in my song list, but not in my album and artist list I should have the ability to do so.

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks, 

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea. 

The recent update to Spotify has changed the way liking things works that now reflect this idea.

Liking an album or song won’t automatically follow the artist, but you can follow them from their artist profile and find Recommended artists to follow in Your Library where you can follow them with one tap.

If you'd like to know more about the changes to the app, you can check out the article here.

Thanks 💚

Comments
dudebrah
Please give us an update - this is a very frustrating UX mistake. Between this and Sonos incompatibility, I might have to switch to Google Play (not that y'all care about 1 customer)
bergmul

I couldn't agree more! My song section is just messed up by added albums! I feel like adding albums anymore at all because of the harm it does to the song section!

Suggestion:

It should just add the thing to one section only, i.e.

- if you "+" an album, only the album should be added under albums

- if you "+" a selection of songs, only they should be added under songs.

We don't even need the choice as it only takes one additional second to get the current behavior in the new mode:

If I want the album under albums and all the songs under songs, I only have to

- "+" the album

- select all the songs and "+" them.

PS: I did not find your idea directly but another post where it was linked that you had the idea first. Maybe it is still possible to make the headline more precise and the post shorter? I believe it would help the caus!

lenstergenerale

I have to agree with bergmul (and everyone else on this thread). That seems the logical way to replace Starred, which at the moment, has been left to limp along as "just another playlist" but now with no way to see whether a song is already in there and so now very prone to duplicates; whilst the dysfunctional "Songs" in Your Music serves no purpose as it cannot be independently managed from the Albums list. It's not "My Songs", just "All The Songs In The Albums I Like".

Presently, it does seem to go against the logical, expected behaviour: I'd expect that "+" a  song would add it just to the Songs list, "+" the album and it just goes to Albums. If that happened, I'd be happy to lose Starred, as the functionality it had prior to Your Music being introduced would then be truly covered by Songs. Heck, even add a prompt when saving an album as to whether you want to add all the songs to Songs too, so people who use it "the other way" don't lose out.

To reiterate what a lot of other people have said, I see the reaons for "+" a song and "+" a album as very different IMHO:

• I (want to) save (or "starred" in old speak!) a song to pick it out as a song I can't get enough of and can then listen to on a shuffle of all those songs I think of awesome (so the song list is, for me, a big curated playlist of my creme de la creme – like 5-starring in iTunes, for example, and building a smart playlist to collect them all together).
  • I save an album as a way to build a library of albums I enjoy or want to listen to, but I rarely love every song on an album enough to want it to automatically be a part of my "favourite songs" list (so albums is my library).

The sooner this divorcing of Songs and Albums happens, the happier I'll be, and I'll gladly empty my Starred list and move over to Your Music entirely. (As long as you get the import of Starred to Songs sorted so we don't lose the Added On metadata).

P.S. Personally, I don't think I've ever used the Artists tab in Your Music, but in the interests of consistency, this should also be managed separately IMHO, but again, the option to add an artist to it when saving an album or song would be a useful option.

SwanTee

Is this coming or not?  (It's been months with "Your Music"-features just sitting there without being useful...and only a few tweaks are needed. Really! :))

janpeeters

I posted in another thread that I think nothing should be cross-added to any other list.

I would love to see it like this:

1) Your music gets a extra section: 'favorites' or 'starred' in which all single songs that I favorite/star/plus get stored. Like the previous 'starred'. This section can be made offline available.

2) 'Songs' section could be renamed to 'All songs', 'Library' or 'Collection' to differentiate more clearly.

3) When I add an album it can add all its songs to 'All songs'. But when I add a song, the album must not be saved. It's a totally different entity. Albums should be for full albums.

4) Also, creating a playlist with songs results in al songs being added to 'songs' but not to albums.

5) Artists is a tool for notifications about news and new releases about that artist on Spotify.

I have really scratched my head after the introduction of 'Your Music' how Spotify's interaction and UX designers could have some up with something that is seemingly developed without any real user testing, it feels like its developped a bit in a bubble.

So thanks for considering. Seeing the amount of posts about this subject I would think it's a good idea to tweak Your Music a bit.

Jan

krejd

This is how things should work from the very beginning. I can't believe it's still not fixed.

cohenfs

The 10,000 song limit is bad enough in Spotify, but why, why, why must "Songs" populate with all the songs of "Albums" that are saved to "Your Music"? It took me no time to reach my limit because of me clicking "Saved" on albums. The "Songs" list should be completely separate from the "Albums" list. Makes no sense at all to merge the two. Let us have the choice of what we want to add to "Songs." Don't make it for us. For me, personally, I want "Songs" to have tracks that are my favorite. I want "Albums" to contain the whole albums that I find to be classic works on the whole. Can't you treat the "Albums" column as something like a list of "bookmarks" to the albums we love? Isn't that essentially what "Follow" does with "Artists"?

trustfundbaby

This would be great. Its the reason I'm still fighting for Album View to make a comeback.
I have an entire "album" playlist which albums I like or have listened to go into.

If I could just add those items to the Albums section of "Your music" I wouldn't need that playlist any more.

mrurns

exactly what bergmul wrote.

my problem with the new +feature:

i want a listt where i collect my fav songs regardless of album or artist.

on the other hand i am addding whole albums to my collection. if i do this i have all the songs of an album under the songs that i +ed which kinda makes the whole library useless for me and i still fumble my way through the context menu to star stuff.

this is a real dealbreaker for me because i am using spotify to discover music and the new experience as it is iw much worse for me than it used to be and i am currently looking at alternatives to see if their library funcions are more suitalble to my needs.

please declare yourself if you plan any improvements in this area.

markrth

Please implement this feature. Having all songs from an album added to my "favorite songs" list just doesn't make sense. The three lists, songs, albums, and artists, need to be treated separately. 

Right now saving an album is completely unusable so I just don't do it. I'm still adding album songs to an individual playlist when I want to 'save' it.