Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Your Library view (iOS & Android)

Spotify is introducing a new version of the Your Library view to mobile users of the iOS and Android apps. When you open up the Spotify mobile app you will see this new view. 📱

Check out this Spotify news article for more information:

Listeners Can Explore Their Spotify Collections Faster and Easier With a New ‘Your Library’

This thread is your go-to destination for getting an overview of what's new, asking questions, getting help for issues you might have, as well as to share your feedback on this new version of Your Library. Also, do you have any tips for other users on how you are using the new Your Library? We'd love to hear them.

What's new?

• See your entire collection in one simple list
  • Dynamic filters and better sort options for your collection
  • Pinned library items to find your favorites, faster
  • More control at your fingertips with a new grid view
  • Universal search allows you to search through your entire collection and see your recent searches
  • Faster settings navigation allows you to tap on your profile picture to get to settings faster
  • Get to your downloads, faster

Here is a walkthrough of what's new:

One simple list:

Your Library is now one simple list. At the top, tap on the filters to filter the content you want to see and tap on the sort options to change the sort order of the list. To create a new playlist, tap on the + (plus) symbol at the top right corner.

NYL21OneList.PNG

Dynamic filter options:

At the top, tap on the filters to filter the content you want to see. Tap on the X and then chose another filter to see another type of content. Having no filter selected will show all types of content in the list.

• Playlists
  • Artists
  • Albums
  • Podcasts & Shows
  • Downloaded

NYL21Filter2.png

Sort options:

At the top, tap on the sort options to change the sort order of the list.

• Recents
  • Recently added
  • Alphabetical
  • Creator

And in the "Playlists" filter view, you'll have this option to see your playlists in your own order like in the desktop app and web player:

• Custom order

NYL21Sort2.png

📌 Pinned library items:

If you tap and hold on the screen on any item in the Your Library list or swipe right on it, an option will show up allowing you to pin it and it will stay at the top of the Your Library list.

You can pin anything in Your Library such as playlists, playlist folders, artists, albums, and podcasts. The limit is 4 pinned items. You can unpin "New Episodes" to free up a pin and still get to that using the "Podcasts & Shows" filter or by searching for it. Same with "Liked Songs", you can unpin it and still get back to it at the top of the "Playlists" filter when it is sorted by "Custom order" or by searching for it. You can also pin the "Your Episodes" list to the main library view in addition to the "New Episodes" list if you also want to be able to access "Your Episodes" from the main library view without having to filter to "Podcasts & Shows" first.

To pin more playlists when you run out of the 4 item pins, you can make a playlist folder in the desktop app or web player and then move multiple playlists inside it and then pin the folder in the mobile app. Then tap on the folder at the top and there you go, easier access to all the playlists in that folder and that can be your 4th pin. However, you can't pin a specific playlist if it is in a folder, so you will need to pin the folder instead. Tip: In the desktop app or web player you can also move playlist folders inside of another playlist folder. That means you can pin a playlist folder that contains a whole bunch of other playlist folders if you want to get super organized.

To easily find the item you want to pin, the best way is to use the universal search. At the top of Your Library, tap on the search icon and search for the item you want to pin. The universal search searches your entire library for playlists, playlist folders, artists, albums, podcasts and also shows you your recent searches.

NYL21Pinned2.png

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

Grid view:

Are you a visual person? You're in control. With the new grid view you can view Your Library with bigger artwork if that's your jam. This is great for when you're on the go or in the car so you can find what you're looking for faster. To switch to the grid view, tap on the squares icon to the right. Tap on it again to go back to the list view.

NYL21GridView.PNG

Universal search:

The new universal search can be accessed by tapping the search icon at the top right corner. The new search allows you to quickly search through your entire library for playlists, playlist folders, artists, albums, and podcasts without having to go to a specific content section.

NYL21UniversalSearch.PNG

Recent searches:

The new universal search also shows you your most recent Your Library searches so you can quickly get back to what you previously searched for.

NYL21RecentSearches.PNG

Faster settings navigation:

Tap on your profile picture in the top left corner to get to settings faster.

NYL21Settings.png

Downloads: (Requires Premium)

When you are in offline mode you'll see your downloaded content faster upon app launch in the home tab.

NYL21DownloadsHome.PNG

In Your Library, tap on the "Downloaded" filter either in the main list view or after tapping on a filter to view your downloaded content.

NYL21Download.PNG

NYL21DownloadedCombined.PNG

How the new version of Your Library (iOS & Android) evolved over time during testing:

When the new version of Your Library on mobile was being tested with users, a few of the main points of feedback were the following:

• Add a custom sort option for the playlists filter like in the old library view
  • Add a way to see a feed of new podcast episodes like in the old library view

These two options were added during the testing phase. Other points of feedback were also made by users during the test, but Spotify is always looking to improve the app so hopefully the new library experience will improve over time.

I personally like being able to see my playlists in the same custom sort order I have them arranged in the desktop app, so I was glad to see that issue was addressed. A bonus feature was also added which is the ability to pin a few of your favorite items to the top of Your Library. I really like being able to have my favorites one tap away at the top of my library. A few other new features that I like are being able to quickly search through my entire library, being able to see my library in a new grid view, and being able to get to settings right from the library view.

Now that the new version of Your Library on mobile is rolling out to all users, what do you think? You can leave your feedback as a reply in this thread. If your feedback is suggesting certain changes, it is best to also post each individual idea in the Community Idea Exchange where users can vote and comment on your ideas and it'll be easier to track each idea. You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
426 Replies

Updates:

This section will inform you of updates to the new mobile Your Library view such as changes and new features. iOS and Android updates are not always released at the same time so there may be a short delay.

December 2021:

New features for Playlist Folders:

• You can now sort inside of Playlist Folders (shares same sort order as the playlists filter)
  • Grid View is now supported inside of Playlist Folders
  • Downloaded: You can select the "downloaded" filter at the top of the Playlist Folder to only see downloaded playlists inside of the Playlist Folder
  •  Tap on the + icon to create a new empty playlist inside of the Playlist Folder

IMG_6264.png

October 2021 (app version 8.6.64):

Ability to set a seperate sort order for each filter (no longer shared)

One of the main points users made in this feedback thread is that they wanted the ability to be able to set a separate sort order for each filter and not have each filter share the same selected sort order. With app version 8.6.64, when you change the sort order for one of the filters, it will be remembered for that filter. For example, now you can have Playlists set to sort by "custom", Artists set to sort by "recently added",  Albums set to sort by "alphabetical", and Podcasts set to sort by "recently updated", or however you want them to be sorted. When you switch between the filters, it will now show the same sort order you selected last time you used that specific filter.

FAQ:

This section will answer your frequently asked questions and will be updated with the latest answers.

Related help articles on the support website:

Your Library   • Sort and filter   • Playlist folders

Where can I give my feedback about the new Your Library view for iOS & Android?

The best place to post your feedback is here in this thread. If your feedback is suggesting certain changes, it is best to also post each individual idea in the Community Idea Exchange where users can vote and comment on your ideas and it'll be easier to track each idea. You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

How do I sort my playlists by custom order?

To sort your playlists by custom order, first tap on the "playlists" filter and then tap on the sort options and change it to "custom order". Then you'll be able to see your playlists in your own custom order like in the desktop app and web player.

NYL21PlaylistsCutomOrder.PNG

How do I see the latest podcast episodes?

There is a section called "New Episodes" that is pinned by default that shows you the latest updates. This section also has a "continue listening" spot at the top for started episodes that you haven't finished yet. Note: The New Episodes icon you see in the release version is purple.

NYL21NewEpisodes.PNG

How do I save one of the filters as the default view on app startup?

That is currently not possible. To see only your playlists for example, tap on the "playlists" filter at the top of Your Library.

MattSudaSpotify Star

I feel very strongly about this UI update but I will try to keep this as objective as possible.

This library design requires more interactions to use the way I (and I assume many) use it. With everything lumped together, it is actually more difficult to use.

Previously, to reach playlists was one click (on library, then shows playlists by default). Then it was one swipe for artists. These could be ordered differently, for example playlists could be ordered by last played and artists could be alphabetical.

Now, to view playlists is one click (library) then one click with a small hit box (playlists). To change to artists it is then unselecting playlists, then clicking artists. To view both pages is not four clicks instead of one click and one swipe.

This does not factor in the extra clicks if one prefers to have playlists and artists sorted differently as mentioned above.

I really hope this change can be reverted. For me, it is actually less functional as my music service. In the past I have taken issue with Spotify UI updates but none have made me react so much as to create an online account and lodge a complaint.

Interesting.

Any idea about the rollout time frame? The new desktop ui was going to be rolled out in the coming weeks. That was announced a bit more than a month ago.

Really nice work! Congrats to the iOS and Android team who worked on this.

MateusMSpotify Star

@AeroZ 

Good question! All users should have the new Your Library view on iOS & Android within the next week.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Upvote to have the person who did this fired.

I can't sort my podcasts by most recently released episodes, my playlists are mixed in with artists and albums, filtering by downloaded means I can't filter by anything else.

This new library view is garbage. The feature should be reverted and whoever had this idea should be fired.

Same. This might be the push I need to ditch spotify for apple music.

finally new changes! 

Exactly!!! I just made a post about this. I hate hate hate this new layout. I want my podcasts in the order I download them. Just like my liked songs are in the order I liked them... it’s not that hard. 

I have a little question.

Why I can't sort artists 'alphabetical' and albums 'recently added'? I could do this before. Now I have to choose. 

Refreshing! Love this new look!

HuboSpotify Star

Hey @berger1954, thanks for sharing this.

I’d love to hear more about your experiences with the new Your Library. Could you share a bit more details about what you dislike about it? The right teams are keeping an eye on the feedback in this thread.

Keep me posted!

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star

Hi,
will the new music library also arrive on the tablet version of iOS app?
Thanks.

UPDATE: You can now choose a different sort order for each filter. The following info below is no longer correct.

Hey @Prime2 

Why I can't sort artists 'alphabetical' and albums 'recently added'? I could do this before. Now I have to choose. 

Thanks for posting your feedback for the Your Library team. I agree, this is something I also miss from the old library.

Here is my own personal feedback:

I don't like how the main view of library, albums, artists, and podcasts share the same saved sort order. The only filter that allows you to set a separate saved sort order is the "playlists" filter. For example, I would like the main view to be recently played, playlists to be custom order, artists to be recently added, albums to be recently added, and a different order for podcasts if I chose so, etc. I'd like the ability to save sort order per filter and not share the same sort order setting between all of the filters.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hey @ilniko 

will the new music library also arrive on the tablet version of iOS app?

Yes the new Your Library should be available in the iPad app as well. However if you are having trouble, let us know.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hmmm looks like somebody sneakily deleted my original response to this new ui that's just straight up hilarious spotify can't take any criticism lol. I'll say it again then this new ui very much sucks. It's extremely cluttered and disorganized, and there's apparently less sorting options. So much for their "easier to find your music" thing they like to claim every time they change stuff. I've seen loads of people saying they hate it and are leaving for other services on both reddit and twitter, this'll only increase as more people get this new mess of a ui. I will personally be avoiding updating my app to not have to deal with this nightmare until I'm literally forced to. Seriously who decided you can't sort things alphabetically anymore? That's madness.

Hey @datfenristho 

Sorry to hear about your previous post. Spotify Community moderators will only remove posts if they violate the Community Guidelines

I can still see the alphabetical sort order in the new Your Library. Can you explain in more detail what you are having trouble with?

Sort options:

At the top, tap on the sort options to change the sort order of the list.

• Recently played
  • Recently added
  • Alphabetical
  • Creator

And in the "Playlists" filter view, you'll have this option to see your playlists in your own order like in the desktop app and web player:

• Custom
MattSudaSpotify Star

I dont understand why in 2021 i need a PC to an easy simple, on the fly, necessary and must have feature …custom order my playlists on mobile app (iOS), is it a joke? Why dont you think many users want or can just use the mobile app and hope to get the best and fast user friendly experience on it? If im in vacation, doing sports, walking, in a restaurant, with friends, to a party, on the boat etc etc i must stop somewhere and ask a PC to just custom order my playlists???? MOBILE is MOBILE and must be indented like the word says… app must be the priority and give the best to users…wake up please!  Dont force MOBILE to be not MOBILE. Is it so hard to understand it? So disappointed! 

Suggested posts