Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Spielo

I just signed up for Apple Music too. Been a paying Spotify user for years. I don't like Apple Music as much, but hey, it works on all of my devices.

It beggars belief thst nobody at Spotify is willing to tell us what is going on. I feel really let down that they don't care enough to make a statement on the subject.

I'll be cancelling Spotify just as soon as I'm settled with Apple Music.

vintatsh

Alright. I now got my whole Spotify library, playlists and followed artists in sync with Apple Music and I will use that service in the meantime. When my free trial runs out by the end of this year and there is still no Apple watch app released/confirmed, the move to Apple Music will be very easy.

AlibabaUK
I very much doubt Apple would allow Apple Watch edition app for a long time to protect their revenue. If they were smart enough then they would do it sooner to encourage more watch sales for use with both apps.
akaChaseChase

You're able to control the volume of the Airpods and last/next song using the "Now Playing" Apple Watch app.

You can add it into your Watches "dock" by Going to My Watch --> Dock --> Now Playing --> Edit (top right-hand corner), then the green + will put it in your dock for quick access.  

Spielo

@akaChaseChase wrote:

You're able to control the volume of the Airpods and last/next song using the "Now Playing" Apple Watch app.

You can add it into your Watches "dock" by Going to My Watch --> Dock --> Now Playing --> Edit (top right-hand corner), then the green + will put it in your dock for quick access.  

That's not enough. The need is for the ability to store music for offline playback on the Watch.

bigfeat14

I need to be able to stream directly to the Watch version 3 with LTE. I will be abke to do that with Apple Music on day one.

AlibabaUK
I'm aware of that as this is a feature been around for a while except Apple changed it a little on last WatchOs update. You can certainly change the now playing dock as main/first dock as you press the button below digital crown. You can control other app but this certainly doesn't offer convenience not storing music for offline music. I'm using a device called Mighty which is a Spotify authorised device.
Thanks
mischman
Method 2: Download SongShift
  1. Download the iOS app.
  2. Open SongShift and select Begin New Shift.
  3. Select the service you'd like to move the playlist from, and its destination platform. ...
  4. Select whether you'd prefer to add the tracks to a current playlist, or a new one entirely.
  5. Your playlists will now have moved.
Spielo

thanks! i tried a couple of these apps, but they were unreliable and expensive. I'll try this one!

i think the bigger issue is moving over all my saves albums/followed artists/etc 😞

laurenb_21

There is an app called Snowy (formerly known as spotty) that is due for release. On their website, you can sign up for an email notification when the app goes live on the App Store. There is not yet an official release date but you will be able to use this app to sync playlists to your watch or use the watch as a remote. All that is required for this is a  Spotify Premium subscription.