Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add video on casted TV device for podcasts casted via Chromecast/Roku etc.

Podcasts that currently have video available on your mobile or desktop device, lose the video feature once you cast it to a TV via Chromecast. This is a major surprise as this is a frequent way of watching video podcasts on TV. Please consider casting the video part of the podcast along with the audio on casted devices.

IMG_20200901_125644.jpg

Updated on 2021-09-16

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on multiple big screen devices, such as Chromecast and Roku (Roku TVs with firmware 8.2/ Roku Set top Boxes with firmware 9.0).

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
t08374

Video is useless without the ability to cast to a TV. Please either update the apps or disable casting in in the web browser so that the entire tab can be casted (sidebars and all), put into full screen, and pinned away from everything else.

Edit: 2020-12-07

Casting to Chromecast appears to work now so long as it is done through the app and not through the browser. I have only tested this on MacOS, however. No idea about mobile app. If you have MacOS and an Apple TV but do not have a Chromecast or TV with built-in casting an alternative is to set up extended AirPlay display, create a separate desktop, open the video in full screen in a browser there, then switch back to the other desktop and resume what you were doing. Video quality suffers and if you close your laptop RIP.

Nobody should have to jump through these hoops to do something so basic.

Katerina
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-09-03

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Bartvanderdrift

Since Spotify is closing the other ideas which are suggesting the same thing, I'll post here as well.

I'm amazed that Spotify spent millions to get the JRE to their platform but missed out on this very core functionality of casting video to Chromecast.

This needs to be added ASAP, definitely before going fully exclusive.

For now it's back to YouTube.

Ripping

How can this 'idea' not have been addressed by Spotify in the months leading up to the JRE being on this platform.  This is not an idea, this is a requirement and a necessity. You have failed Joe Rogan and his fans.

OliGreen

As YouTube has this feature, it is a massive disappointment that Joe Rogan viewers could lose this facility once he becomes Spotify exclusive. 

JamesBrimble

It was dissapointing that video is not currently supported when casting the JRE as it will soon become exclusive to Spotify and is a visual podcast. Please sort this out. Thanks.

SjaakStaal

2008 - Spotify comes online

2013 - Chromecast hit the market

2020 - Spotify: "Please let us know if streaming video to Chromecast is an idea worth looking at"

Me:

ffff-ffff.jpg

royinferno

Agreed, I have yet to see video support for Chromecast from Spotify. I just tried this out with the Joe Rogan podcast and only audio gets transmitted to my TV. This was one of the main things I liked about the podcast being on YouTube, just leave the video playing in the background. There's just something about having a video format as opposed to audio only, it's not the same anymore. Hope the Devs take note of this and can fix it soon!

bjohnson_55

This isn't a debatable idea worth "looking into". It's technologically feasible and a requirement to stay relevant. What's the counterargument? 

OctoberDelight

Please ADD this functionality immediately....That being the ability to view video content of the Joe Rogan experience on TV monitors - not just on mobile devices.

We were told we would have access to the podcast audio AND video. I watch Rogan in video form almost daily on TV...I watch his current and back catalog. Audio alone is of no value to me...probably not to Joe Rogan either, as why else would he be shouldering the cost to build a new studio and film his podcasts in the first place. For now I have returned to You-Tube to view his podcasts in video form on my Sony Bravia and Samsung with 4k Firestick.  Viewers returning to You-Tube for this video content of The JoeRogan Experience is not in Spodify’s best interest.  Please address this issue at your  soonest convenience.  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!