Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Block / Hide / Blacklist Tracks or Artists

The Star feature should be complemented with a way to mark tracks as excluded. Those tracks would then be skipped even when included in the current playlist.
This way the enjoyment of a good album wouldn't be disrupted by tracks you don't like, while the album in its entirety can still be kept in the playlist.
The Anti-star can easily be implemented as a flipside to the regular star as they are mutually exclusive. Click the star once, the track becomes a favorite. Click again, the star icon changes to the anti-star and click a third time and either flag is gone.

A no-brainer to me.

Updated on 2020-05-13

Hey, 

Thanks for coming to the Community Idea Exchange.
We're marking this idea as 'Implemented'.

The option 'Don't play this artist' is now available on iOS and Android.

You can also find more info on hiding individual tracks from playlists or albums here.

If we have any information about this on other platforms in the future, we'll report back!

Comments
teshmoney

+ 1 for me. 

@Viktor wrote:

The Star feature should be complemented with a way to mark tracks as excluded. Those tracks would then be skipped even when included in the current playlist.
This way the enjoyment of a good album wouldn't be disrupted by tracks you don't like, while the album in its entirety can still be kept in the playlist.
The Anti-star can easily be implemented as a flipside to the regular star as they are mutually exclusive. Click the star once, the track becomes a favorite. Click again, the star icon changes to the anti-star and click a third time and either flag is gone.

A no-brainer to me.

jrivers

Came looking for this feature after being "forced" over to Spotify by the imminent closure of Rdio. One of the things that Spotify lacks is the ability to just play a "User FM" based on the stuff that you've liked. This was a great way to listen for ages without hearing much stuff that you dislike.

Spotify has some great features, e.g. the curated playlists (currently listening to "Weekend Buzz"), charts, etc. But while I like to see what's new or interesting, etc., there are particular kinds of music I just never want to hear---certain styles of rap and R&B, dance music, super-generic pop. Not whole genres, but there are definitely artists that I will skip every single time they come on. This is true even in genres I generally like: I'd be happy if I never heard another Herbie Hancock track in a jazz list, for instance.

A good way to make these lists (and Spotify generally!) more useful for more users would be to implement the block feature that's being discussed here. Not interested in Justin Beiber? Block away and listen to the charts (and every other playlist) without him. 

Disappointing to see this idea recently re-dismissed despite so much user support.

Status changed to: Not right now

Hey everyone. We're back to update this idea as it's a popular one and hasn't had a Staff update for some time. Right now we're still saying 'Not Right Now' to this idea. We're still focusing on bringing more and more music to Spotify. Of course if we have any updates on this anytime soon we will post here. Thanks guys.

I am a longtime subscriber to spotify, but I am close to canceling my subscription as google play music is offering this. you can simply go to settings and block songs or artists. It cannot be that hard. For me I just do not want to listen to JB. Take this as an example. I cannot listen to any chart playslist without being annoyed.  All I want is a block artist/song feature.

If this does not happen soon, 2016 I will change for sure.

Capture.PNG
gare-bear

I just want to be able to block Kanye West from ever showing up.  

nets860

block justin bieber

JFOFerguson

I want to be able to block anything related to Justin Bieber, Drake or Kanye. Please Help!

robertark

This frustrates me. Considering switching streaming music services.... I can't believe many other people out there want the same feature and 0 love 😞

I'm sick and tired of hearing Bieber. NO MEANS NO. That's what she means..

brentonedwards

Please implement this, I'm sick of hearing Ed Sheeran

hubjubjub

Admin gods of spotify, read this suggestion and implement. The update enabling users to do things such as ban justin bieber, blacklist Rolling In The Deep, would make waves on social media. Call it the hate update. It would be great for business.

superherointj

I need to block Justin Bieber, Drake or Kanye! Please make it happen!