Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Tag Music

It'd be awesome to be able to add my own tags to all of my songs in playlists, so I can easily and specifically sort my songs how I like.

Should be a pretty simple tool to implement.

Thanks

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
Swchen

Another vote for this idea. Love seeing so many users on the same page here.

Automatic and custom labels on songs in order to power playlist creation - Imagine that you have a huge playlist of songs (i.e. my "Starred" playlist that contains every song I've ever liked since 2008), and every song is already labeled by categories like Genre, Mood, Decade, Popularity, BPM, etc. by Spotify. As a user, I can create my own set of custom labels like "Late Night Party", "Get in the Zone", "Must Play", etc. Songs could have multiple tags. With these tags, you could enable some seriously powerful personal playlist creations and make anyone a playlist hero.

Use cases for the auto tags, all based on my very true personal experiences:

Genre: "I'm currently in a Mexican restaurant that has no music playing and I need to save the ambiance with Latin vibes"

Mood: "I'm feeling lots of rage and need some tunes to match, NOW"

Decade: "We are drinking and all feeling nostalgic and need to hear our fave 90s songs now!"

Popularity: "I'm in a social situation where I need to play songs that everyone will know" OR "I'm in a social situation where I want everyone to be very impressed with my knowledge of underground artists"

BPM: "I'm a group fitness instructor and quickly need a playlist of songs around 144 BPM for my kickboxing class tonight"

Cheers!

john_n_charee

As much as I hate saying this... I'm starting my search for a service that will allow me to tag my saved music. After years of being ignored, there seems to be no other option. Spotify won't give any indication that this is a feature they care to implement.

SXAVWX
The question is, is there any service which allows you to tag songs?
rikverstraete

sxavwx : i used a 3 month free licence for Apple music , to check out if apple music was able to tag music like it was able to do in itunes. Before spotify, all my music was added to itunes as i found that itunes was the most flexible tool to manage my music library. (tagging, smart playlists). My experience with apple music : you can NOT change the existing tags in apple music, or the only way is to make a local copy of a playlist in your library and in the local copy you can edit. So this is not a real solution if you need to make local copies al the time... So tagging is no benefit versus spotify. Smartplaylist is available in apple music, so that feature is a benefit. But the interface on my android device of apple music is much worse than spotify, this is my personal experience. Also missing in apple music with a android device : not able to choose an output device (smartphone, audio-amplifier, pc). 

From a service point of view i think individual tagging will be hard to achieve : each music file has now 1 central tagging, giving each user the ability to add his own tag, makes a database necesary between the central tag & the tag of each individual user. This adds a lot of extra data to be saved in the app or cloud application. 

So i don't expect this to be possible soon, knowing spotify a bit so far... My main focus would be smartplaylist. This needs no big effort or cost for spotify, external 3th party users already make lot of these things available, it's more making the existing tags available for sorting, filtering and programming. 

BenediktAlkin

As new people are joining the conversation, I implemented custom song tagging for Windows with the Spotify API.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Music-Tag-Music/idc-p/5280618/highlight/true#M234032

Arikabeth

Make it possible to assign tags for tracks, albums, artists & albums and filter tags.

It should be possible to use these tags to filter through, both when using regular "search" and by using the "playlist filter".

Tags could perhaps also be categorized into main categories, like

"genre(s)", "Instruments present", "specific musical elements & styles", "mood", "languages & dialects spoken", "Geographical: country, region, cities, town-related or cultures & tribes related", "activity related", "event related", "time-of-day related", "time-of-year-related & seasonal", "location related", "pet & animal related", "age-related, baby & children", "institutions & communities related", "sports related, specific teams, specific sport, specific phases of sport", "famousness & iconicness", "intrusiveness & ambiency", "gender related", "religion related".

It would be nice if it was possible to switch between tags assigned by yourself and tags assigned by others, and possibly add an "ignore tag" for tags made by others which seem unfitting for your way of assigning tags (and maybe a vote system for more popular tags?).

Tags are of varying use for the user depending on how much the user know about music in general, if they know what words mean and which terms/words to use to search, so it would also be nice if it was possible to assign links between tags that seem related, and when searching for one tag, look up "popular tags associated with the tag searched for". That way, when looking up tags, the user will learn more about tags assigned to music and can be informed about useful terms to use for future searches.

ryadaj

Would love a status update on this.

Stahlgewitter

Ten years later, still absolutely NOTHING done about an actual useful feature. But yeah, keep moving buttons around or whatever it is you're "working on".

What a joke you are.

jshua586

PLEASE add this

Drugtharr

We definitely need this feature.

The tags could also be used to determine what most people are tagging certain songs. But I really need the custom tags right now.