Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Push Notification for new Episodes

All of us Podcast lovers would definitely welcome a push notifications for new podcast episodes. Please consider! 

Updated on 2021-08-25

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we've implemented New Episode Notifications and they're now available on iOS and Android mobile devices only.

How will New Episode Notifications work?
Starting August 17th, a Push Notification will be sent when a Show that users subscribed to releases a New Episode. Users won’t receive notifications for Episodes that they have already listened to.

How do I subscribe to New Episode Notifications?
From mobile, users can subscribe to receive notifications using the Bell icon on the Podcast Show page. If a user hits the Bell, they will automatically Follow the Show too. Users can also subscribe/unsubscribe by navigating to Notification Settings in the Spotify app, and selecting notification Settings, which displays all their followed Shows and subscription status. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Melody
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2020-05-04

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.
Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks

Sreekiran

I researched this and it seems like a lot of people, including myself, have been waiting for this feature. Spotify, it is high time. Make it happen!

j0nathan

(Edit - if this was not available on the free tier, it would guarantee I for one would keep paying for the service. This would be more of a feature than say turning off ads. So if you need a reason besides 'the customer is always right', how about, 'hey this is another way to convert freeloaders into paying customers!')

and if you're gonna do it, how about having the notification look like this:

Theres a new episode from a podcast you are following!

Podcast : That Cool Show 

Episode : "Oh no we did it again. our bad."

[ play now. ]

[ add to play queue. ]

[ thanks, i'll check it out later. ]

[ don't notify me about this podcast again.*]

* all followed podcasts are notified by default, until the first time you tap [don't notify...]

sambarrett23072

Why hasn't this been done yet? You can send me notifications for concerts or new albums but not new episodes of a podcast I am subscribed to. You just paid 100 million for JRE and your podcast implementation in-app looks like a joke compared to other services. Google podcasts have been out on IOS for a hot second and already has more features than your poor implementation.

mkmrn

Seeing that Spotify seems to be taking over the podcast game it’s so important to get this feature implemented. 

f00diequeen

@sambarrett23072  I literally LOL'd when I got a notification and read your comments (also pretty sure it defaulted that way since I keep getting notifications when ppl post on here). Oh wells.

But yes.

Give the ppl what they want. They have the monies to hire someone REAL quick and code that notifications options...

chopk330

Hey Spotify, how ‘bout you put a rush on this one?? After acquiring Last Podcast on the Left and Joe Rogan, you’d think this would be more of a priority...

sambarrett23072

My thinking with this isn't purely selfish. Spotify has pioneered placing targeted ads in podcast in the same style as youtube. You know what, i'm fine with that, I really don't care. But you would have thought that getting engadged users who quickly click on relevant podcasts would be something advertisers will be looking for and would be beneficial for Spotify as a business? Maybe if i put some $$$$ signs in the comment the feature will magically appear. 

tanelofficial

Would love to see this feature in the spotify app! 

ATGM

Would be nice to also have a queue/playlist of all new episodes so it would be convenient to listen uninterrupted to all episodes you are interested in, especially important while listening on mobile on the go.