[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as a lot of you have added your votes to this idea. 

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Spotify Newsroom blog for updates about any partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Related Ideas

Comments
AnGaeL
Casual Listener

If Pandora has offline playback, there's really no excuse for Spotify not having this one.

They are just not priorotizing it.

Also worth noting, that there are 2 requests here, headphones playback, and offline playback. 

I will switch a streaming service if they do not deal with that anytime soon. Enough time has passed.

caryn

I'm interested in an Apple Watch, but I want to be able to play music while I run. I'd prefer to use Spotify, but if Spotify doesn't offer the solution to listen to offline music, I'll be cancelling my Spotify subscription. 

Mheetu
Casual Listener

The Apple Watch app has been out for roughly 6 months now and watchOS 5 should have provided you with the APIs necessary to play background music...

That said, why have we yet to see the ability to listen to music directly on our watch (without the phone or other speakers nearby)? Likewise, why have we yet to see the ability to have offline content on the watch itself?

I think we all know that when your userbase was asking for a Spotify app for watchOS, these were key features they wanted... not just a remote control.

It'd be nice to get some official feedback on this feature... is it planned? is it in development? are there technical limitations or struggles that you're facing? or have you decided not to implement it?

Micha2199
I think, if you have followed the last days between Apple and Spotify, Apple should have restrictions and thus refuse Spotify the app ... at least as an offline mode app!
Micha2199

I think, if you have followed the last days between Apple and Spotify, Apple should have restrictions and thus refuse Spotify the app ... at least as an offline mode app!

MandyDroid
Last stays update November 2018. That’s a joke.
AnGaeL
Casual Listener

That is not true. See the video instead of throwing out there wrong information, Apple denied them an app that was allowing people to pay in it, not through Apple (so Spotify can avoid the 30% outrageous comission).

If Spotify develop an offline app, I dount it would be denied. Pandora's wasn't.

Vytazzz

Whats up guys?

I heard about all that situation. Question is - what spotify is gonna do about it?

Should we wait till watch OS  6 or what?

Complete joke that offline Spotify hasn't been added to Apple Watch, I've been waiting now for four years since the original Apple watch dropped!  I don't understand the logic it would massively boost Premium subscriptions? I've bought a Garmin Vivofit 3 music in the meantime, fed up of waiting for Spotify to deliver on promises!   I reckon they've signed sort of contract with Garmin/Samsung that allows offline exclusivity for a couple of years! Daft really as they don't provide any updates on the matter, and it's never been in development testing this long that's for sure!

user-removed
Not applicable
I've been waiting for this features (offline storage and LTE streaming) for too long. Just bought Series 4 and Spotify still didn't implement such basic features. Cancelling Premium today, great there's a quick way to transfer my playlists to AM (songshift). Bye!