Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Album of the year 2016 (so far)

Album of the year 2016 (so far)

We are very early into the new year but thought we might as well start a thread for the best albums for 2016. I'm holding off with nominations until something really grabs my attention but feel free to post your recommendations here folks. Try and keep things to one recommendation per post. Cheers!

65 Replies

The Best way to start 2016 is to listen this new album where pop and jazz meet :

Artist : David Bowie

Album : Blackstar

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'd have to agree, I can't stop listening to it.
Spotify

last.fm

Rateyourmusic.com

SoundCloud

My Favorite Tracks of 2015

If I helped, mark my answer as solution to help other users solve similar issues, please don't forget to send kudos if you like any answers.

What is a Rock Star and how you can become one? Click here to find out!

Artist: Megadeth
Release: Dystopia
Year: New 2016 January 22nd
Labels: UMG
Style of Music: Trash metal 
Origins: Los Angeles, California

I like this release it has recording elements that reminds one of Rust In Peace and Countdown to Extinction. The release is a much more straight forward thrash metal release rather than the radio friendly music from previous releases. And has some surprise new members on board for the release recording and tour, Chris Adler on drums from Lamb of God and Kiko Loureiro on Guitar from Angra. And I swear Dave Mustaine sounds a bit like Testament's vocalist Chuck Billy on this release with some of the tracks?

My current favorite:

Artist : Chairlift

Album : Moth

Label: Columbia Records, Kanine Records,Terrible Records

spotify:album:4j7QJ7DKZ0cBsNuD7GmJFx

Romeo is on repeat in my car 24/7 -- i'm dating a runner, and it just goes so well with my life right now!

If I helped you, likes please!
If I answered you, Accept as Solution!!
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Check out my backstage interview

Artist: Avantasia
Release: Ghostlights
Year: New January 29th, 2016
Labels: Nuclear Blast
Style of Music: Symphonic Metal, hard rock, and power metal
Origins: Fulda, Germany.

Well the new release is here and packed full of great vocalists and a couple of instrument collaborators including lead guitar work by Bruce Kulick from Grand Funk Railroad, and ex KISS fame, and lead guitar work by Oliver Hartmann ex At Vance. Any way the wiki page link below on the CD release and the artists who contributed to which track, like all of Sammet's releases many hands contributed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostlights

Opps ended up with a double post here for some reason.

Artist: Dream Theater
Release: The Astonishing
Year: New January 29th, 2016
Labels: Roadrunner
Style of Music: Progressive rock/metal
Origins: Boston, Massachusetts

Double CD with a total of 34 tracks, allot of things going on musically with this release, some symphonic rock/metal offerings, some good power metal riffing the band is known for on some tracks, some acoustic guitar and violin work on some of the tracks that hint at some folkish elements in the music as well. The band should get some awards from this offering by the end of the year. Great musical heights for the band with this release.

Suede's new album: Night Thoughts

spotify:album:5cyFF9f6VhtSXIr3GZ88sD

Follow me

Artist: Exmortus

Release: Ride Forth
Year: 2016 January 8th

Labels: Prosthetic Records 
Style of Music: melodic thrash/death metal
Origins: Whittier, California

Just got around to this new release by the band this week. This release has some strong Carcass influence in the vocals department on this release. Fast tempo thrash/death metal musical direction the band has been known for on past releases. Some good up tempo blazing metal.

Guys! Check out this album, i think they are gonna to be famous in a few months:

spotify:album:2ILzlgDg3yqPT1xxf1f52I

Follow me

Artist: Prong
Release: X - No Absolutes
Year: New Feb 5th, 2016
Labels: Steamhammer
Style of Music: Thrash, groove, industrial metal, hardcore punk, crossover thrash.
Origins: New York City, New York

Got a few different things musically going on with this release I like really well.

Artist: Rotting Christ
Release: Rituals
Year: New Feb 12th, 2016
Labels: Season of Mist
Style of Music: Gothic/Black/Dark Metal
Origins: Athens, Greece

Ohh my, I really like this release. Trying to pin down what is all going on here, some industrial trance gothic black/death metal elements going on here? I want to go so far as to say what a band would produce if Strapping Young Lad, Dimmu Borgir, and maybe Amon Amarth merged together in one band. LoL. My third listen through already, and I am really digging this release allot.

Artist: The Cult
Release: Hidden City
Year: February 5th, 2016
Labels: Cooking Vinly
Style of Music: Hard Rock / Alternative Rock
Origins: Bradford, Yorkshire, England

Well The Cult like always does something different with their releases and well Hidden City is no different in this department. I almost want to call this release an Indie Adult Alternative Rock album. Rather catchy tunes after a few listens through.

I like this album very much!!

DIIV

Is the Is Are

February 5th 2016

spotify:album:5PPPABn2aZ0jRuHPMONwSR

Follow me

Artist: Drowning Pool
Release: Hellelujah

Year: February 5th, 2016 
Labels:  Entertainment One U.S.
Style of Music: Heavy Metal, alternative metal
Origins: Dallas, Texas, U.S.

After a few listens of this new release the musical direction started to grow on me. The band went a few different directions sound wise on a few tracks with this release, this musical direction with a first listen might leave the listener a little disjointed, but for me that eased up after a few more listens.

Teddybears (Sthlm)

New album "Rock on". some really dancefriendly sick beats for sure.

EP have a high low, and all in all a great release in my humble opinion!

spotify:album:2E6bYZ3GHPZ06EMIYGTZC2

my favourite is "best you ever had" 🙂

spotify:track:65rhO3rsvBWyJBkYtO5p4X

Artist: Diamond Head
Release: Diamond Head
Year: New March 4th
Labels: Dissonance Productions
Style of Music: Heavy Metal/Hard Rock
Origins: Stourbridge, England

I really like this release, and this release might just make people take notice of this band again, after so many let downs from the past. The lineup for this release:

Rasmus Bom Anderson Vocals
Brian Tatler Guitars (lead)
Andy Abberley Guitars (rhythm)
Eddie "Chaos" Moohan Bass
Karl Wilcox Drums

I really like this release, I know this is probable sacrilege posting this, but this release might just be slightly a better product that Def Leppard's self titled release from last year. This Diamond Head lineup really captures the classic metal hard rock vibe here, and gives a few new twists in sound that is just fantastic. I hope this is signs of great things to come for the band.

Artist: Multiface

Album: Gangsterism

Label: Naiv Recordings 

https://open.spotify.com/album/2m6sSi20TCiVwoVdbIRj6w

The track that goes on every morning right now, Handing Out Stones

Suggested posts