Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Common lyrical themes in genres of music

Common lyrical themes in genres of music

Have you noticed any common lyrical themes within the genres that you typically listen to? Feel free to share!

I’ve noticed that, for example in doom metal, there are a lot of lyrics (as well as band names and album artwork) related to death, the occult, and religion. It doesn't bother me that these themes are common in this genre that I listen to frequently, as I typically don’t pay as much attention to lyrics as I do to the music itself. However, I'm curious as to whether anyone else has noticed common themes in genre(s) that they listen to as well.

Cheers!

AdamDamonSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
5 Replies

some of the common themes are how corrupt religion and people are
(I listen to Nine Inch Nails, obviously)

some other themes are drug abuse and getting what you deserve (I think that's what "less than" meant when it said that you got what you asked for)

Moved:

- - This post was removed for violating the Community Terms and Conditions, specifically "Avoid double posting". Any users posting the same content multiple times will have their posts removed. For more information please read here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/Reminder-Spotify-Community-Guidelines/td-p/4786834

Rap/Hip Hop:  Shooting, Money, Fuking b$%ches, Jewelry or possession of things, talk about balling out in sports mainly football and basketball

Rock:  The ups and downs of love, F the Man, random happenings, Anger, Happiness, Sad, more feelings based but Rockier than pop

Pop:  Feelings about love, anything that has to do with emotion, Triumphs, pretty much anything.  

R&B:  More emotion based tracks, it contains a more soulful feeling then pop.  It's generally about love.  R&B likes to incorporate Rap into their songs to try and bring their music to a bigger audience.  Modern R&B has incorporated many other genres of music in their sound. 

Lyrical content for drum&bass tracks seem to vary between subgenres:

the more basic 'this-is-what-play-in-your-head-when-d&b-is-mentioned' drum&bass lyrics are rather close to pop songs, just skinned down a bit to allow more time for the amen brks.

liquid funk - meant to trigger a more elevated feeling. Can be anything from love to insomnia to melancholy to 'meaning of life', etc. I often encounter the 'living translated wisely' samples in this genre. Love is more elevated state of being than in general d&b.

Neurofunk and d&b similar to this are more aggressive. Mostly stuff like war, deadly bass, alien encounters, sinkholes and other news flash content, mythical creatures.

Neuro and technical drum&bass have plenty of content for codes, machines, cyborg themes and (alien) technology / structures.

I've noticed more interesting common lines within the top10 hits of decades, actually.

The essence of 2000s and I think some part of 90s too:

Women: I am a strong independent woman, I will not let anyone [bleep] with me, especially no man.

Men (ballads): I love her so much, I cannot live without her, I wish to feel the warmth of her hands.

Men (r&b and other genres): cont. of ballads and continuing into rather restricted territory 'he don't understand you like I do, he don't make love to you like I do'

Both, mostly within r&b and dancy pop: very high amount of sexy. Bonus points if moans that make prude people turn off the radio are included.

Dance music tracks in late 2000s and early 2010's - going into clubs and seeing hot girls; lyrics entirely about sexy women; hot club night full of shaking butts and bouncy tits.
Or it's just about going to a club, raising hands, getting down on the dancefloor, dancing til the morning, play the music etc.

I've also encountered quite a lot of dancier pop songs in earlier half of 2000s singing about DJ's and putting on the records.

Oh, and someone mentioned hiphop lyrics. They forgot drugs. 😄

On a sidenote: I wasn't aware how much of an edgelord P!nk used to be 😂

Suggested posts