Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

EDM that has NO four on the floor kick drum?

EDM that has NO four on the floor kick drum?

Does anyone have a playlist of electronic music that has a danceable beat but not that boring four on the floor kick drum? (You know, thump-thump-thump-thump from the beginning to the end.)

Is there a name for that kind of EDM? Like "no-4-on-the-floor"?

spo
4 Replies

Hey @spo 

Locals here call that kind of EDM "beating the carpet". :')

There are dancy electronic tunes with variety in drums/percussion. I am not quite sure what you would be into, but I'd suggest something like these (sorry, no playlist right now):

spotify:track:2okPlon8vx0e1gsf9qA1D8:small (for the dark and sensual)

spotify:track:2k9n4LFEA5o6ZDiesPVr0o:small (for some fun beats and good bass)
spotify:track:6ObU4Esyxu02NjKnjuGiwp:small (also darker, rather intense in some parts)
spotify:track:2O6MRZVOp22BKJpjBUwPJ2:small (high-energy d&b tune)
spotify:track:1BZrnol7BjTAPhlNBvAgPG:small (another d&b, more variety in itself than the previous)
spotify:track:3XMAoJyomIWm9q5c7m1FMe:small (dubstep. No screeches, this one has amazing sub-bass and is a great chill dancy tune.)
spotify:track:53JUqbJjO5GwlbmmE3azIq:small (more cinematic sounding. d&b)
spotify:track:1XdLK2JkH2qXwyiR7xmWnh:small (also dubstep. Slow and very bassy)
spotify:track:0AlSyUm3aFnYoi3Amj3Gi8:small (great beat and bass!)
spotify:track:0DysFr5WcvTD4DWZykdhjK:small (powerful beats, grimy bass, darkness. Pure filth)
spotify:track:5H4ZHRz1qdrvFH7hWwzGja:small (Very fun tune)

spotify:track:25OuiHWcoQ8PIeJBJvDuKz:small (quite a "relaxed nightlife" tune)

spotify:track:43vBuonU6UgCHd92VSz52z:small (chill tune, but.. dat bass!)
spotify:track:10n0QaLvHieZ7OfFFiC4OQ:small (some amazing jazzy breaks!)

Let me know what you feel about the stuff I gave, and I'll see if I can suggest anything else. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you very much for your response, Sebasty. I've been listening to your linked artist on many a night, and there is lots of interesting stuff in there. The ones that I liked the most are Reso, Ivy Lab, Truth, Calyx & TeeBee and the jazzy thing Amon Tobin, so I guess I'm more into less aggressive and more laidback styles with chordal structures. What I like a lot in all your examples is their inventive approach to sounds and beats.

"Beating the carpet", lol. 😄

spo

@spo 

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the selection! 🙂

I would definitely recommend listening to the earlier works of Amon Tobin (Bricolage, Permutation, Out From Out Where and Supermodified), they all are similar to what I suggested earlier (Sordid), but no two songs are the same.

I'd also suggest checking out Cujo:

spotify:track:3fbq545yn2VGuIgwTlJJxq:small

and Xploding Plastix:

spotify:track:6j6NF0hzixG0yHdWM0OEZg:small

for the jazzy brks. 🙂

From Truth I recommend:

spotify:track:58eHCDG3lNPEvYOfV2EZ0K:small

spotify:track:2WvqQNYIJu5GFyvYzH6nMQ:small

spotify:track:1xUlkWOZzcEDpkZwSrhki7:small (and if you're not into rap, there's instrumental on the same album)

spotify:track:5T4zzwlZjGQDGDmSuzJYAQ:small

I guess Ninja Tune roster is all awesome music. Not all is as dancable, but most is very nice laid-back electronica.

Check out Ninja Tune's playlists and you might find something nice!

spotify:user:ninja-tune

🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks a lot again, Sebasty. One cool result of all your suggestions is that after listening to them, Spotify is now able to suggest me more. In fact my Discover Weekly list is now better than ever! 🙂

spo

Suggested posts