REMASTERING

Re: REMASTERING

_3izu5-a2nx1o
Casual Listener

Simple reason...money they are changing the lyrics to make them more politically correct.  None of these bands have any **bleep** anymore to say this is rock this is who we are.  If you dont like it simply Don't listen to it how hard is it to understand?  All these record producers see dollar signs thats all that mayters to them!  I do not now or in the future want to listen to this remastered **bleep**!  Just give me the original.  They edit a song or lyric they change the whole song!  Come on music makers! 

Barnesypoo
Regular

As a professional recording engineer/producer, I am pretty appalled by the lack of original mixes on Spotify. I just won't listen to most of the remastered versions because they simply ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL MIX OF THE SONG. They are different. It is fine that you have them, but a well-designed normalizer would make the original mixes as loud as possible without actually changing the mixes. Please show the original artists, producers and engineers the respect they deserve by hosting the real versions of all their material.

thedavewilkie
Casual Listener

I'd assumed it was a rights thing, something along the lines of:

remaster a beloved track = ability to siphon more cash way from the original rights holder and more cash towards label/platform 

Or am I just being too cyncical...?

thedavewilkie
Casual Listener

I couldn't work out why all the old greats sounded like shopping mall covers bands I'd guessed it was a rights thing, something along the lines of:

remaster a beloved track = ability to siphon more cash away from the original rights holder and more cash towards label/platform 

Whatever the actual reason, it's a great shame.

morebt
Casual Listener
Yes , I hadn't thought of that - it sounds very plausible.

##- Please type your reply above this line -#

Toonlink1

I don’t have a problem with a song being remastered, I just wish it didn’t need to stay remastered for every old song. 

Barnesypoo
Regular
??

Sebasty
Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

There is one more thing that can be super irritating for me as a last.fm user.

You're listening to a song from your local library, it gets scrobbled as Artist - Album - Track.

You're listening to the same tune on Spotify: Artist - Album (Remastered) - Track-Remastered.

And seemingly the next day it is Artist - Album (2015 Remaster) - Track-2015 Remastered

Can't blame Spotify for this. Metadata is handled by the uploaders (labels/distributors/rightsholders). But man is it bothersome. I would edit out the "Remastered" from song names and leave it in the comments, or under credits.

As for remastering itself.. There are engineers that do sacred work of remastering the record to really make it shine. Most just increase the volume to make it work 'better' on bad speakers and headphones.

But really, I don't think I have seen a CD on sale at the store named as 'Album (Remastered)'.

SebastyRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Barnesypoo
Regular
Sebasty- The issue is of course added volume and often debilitating
compression. And yes, I blame Spotify. I prefer to hear the mix/master as
originally intended. Don’t mind a bit of volume raise but they should
otherwise leave the track alone. I can’t answer to the metadata and name
convention.

TreyAnastasio
Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7

One of the funnier things I've seen on Last.fm in an artist's shoutbox: "Iron Maiden are a 2015 Remastered heavy metal band formed in Leyton, east London, in 1975 by bassist and primary songwriter Steve Harris" lol

TreyAnastasioRock Star 7
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
SUGGESTED POSTS