Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What's the first album you ever bought?

What's the first album you ever bought?

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory.

I was about 10 when the album came out. Buying a CD as a 10 year old is no laughing matter - this was the most amount of money I’d ever spent on anything. Having absolutely no concept of money, it was hard to hand over £10-15. It was a financial crisis!

In The End (great pun), I decided to buy it, and oh boy was it a good purchase! I’d heard a few singles from the album, and couldn’t wait to get going on the full thing. I put some fresh batteries in my walkman, inserted the CD, and pressed play. Boom! Papercut, here we go!

spotify:track:1Vej0qeQ3ioKwpI6FUbRv1:small

I’m not going to go into details about the album itself, as I’m fairly sure 99% of humans on earth have heard it. If you haven’t heard it, it might be too late. What I will say is the album changed my view on music. No longer was music that thing that my parents listened to - now I had my own music! This album was the fuel for many of my short lived careers in skateboarding, BMXing, bass guitar, and that one time I tried to make my own energy drink to sell.

What’s the first album you ever bought?

spotify:album:6hPkbAV3ZXpGZBGUvL6jVM

73 Replies

QUEEN - Greatest Hits I

Until the age of fourteen or fifteen I had only listened to classical music, because I learned violin starting from the age of five and my parents were strictly classical listeners. But I was then at the age, when I attended the first parties around 1983 and while most other Rock-music sounded to me at first like chaotic noise I was immediately impressed by the rich arrangements of the first QUEEN-songs I heard. Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody to love, Play the game and others sounded like little Mini-operas, as if Puccini or Verdi had decided to join a Rock-Band. And Brian May's guitar was close to a violin, a cello or even like a full string-orchestra. So QUEEN Greatest Hits I became my ticket to the world of Rock. I purchased the Vinyl-album (This was before the CD) and listened to it day and night on an old Philips Record-Player, which was used before to play back Audio-dramas for children.

https://play.spotify.com/album/3VWrUk4vBznMYXGMPc7dRB

A soundtrack to Mary Poppins. I bought it in the 70's when I was still a little kid. I bought it on LP, because cassettes and CDs didn't exist yet. Although I no longer have it, I looked up old Mary Poppins album covers, and this one looks like it. Its number is DQ-1256. Although Spotify has Mary Poppins soundtracks, it doesn't appear to have this one.

5065484255e9c_53443b.jpg

spotify:user:128759556

For me it was Puzzle by Biffy Clyro. I was 8 years old when I went into HMV with my Mum to buy it, and the person at the checkout said I was the youngest Biffy Clyro fan he'd ever seen!

I grew up with an older cousin who used to always watch Kerrang! on TV, so I did the same, and it was there where I heard Living is a Problem Because Everything Dies, which lead me to buy the album 🙂

spotify:album:6XVx5wCqkpSZRCOHslBVK6:small

Hum, my first album was not one that was purchased but handed down to me at the ripe old age of 9 years old from a cousin. It was a vinyl version of KISS Alive II, and that was my big dive pool into the height of 70's arena hard rock of the time. From there it was all history as they say, I was hooked digging into Sabbath, Hendrix, AC/DC, Boston, Journey, Rush, YES, The Who, The Stones, B.O.C., Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, Pink Floyd, Queen, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, The Stooges, Uriah Heep, Rainbow, Hawkwind, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Judas Priest, yeah their 70's released content was rather interesting, their 70's content was a big helping hand push for NWOBHM in the 80's along with a few other big hard rock bands mentioned above. Of course I would be here for many hours, mentioning all the bands that led from just that one single vinyl album handed down to me so many decades ago. 🙂

Three_Dog_Night_-_Harmony.jpg

Three Dog Night's Harmony, which came out a few days after I turned 8. I probably bought it sometime in 1972, after "An Old Fashioned Love Song" became a hit. I don't know why I would have picked that album to start with, except I loved — and still do — the Leslie-driven organ sound on "An Old Fashioned Love Song."
I went back to this album about a year ago and found it held up better than I expected it to. Three Dog Night probably gets dismissed because they didn't write many of their own songs, but they had great taste when it came to choosing outside material. I probably heard the songs of Randy Newman and Laura Nyro for the first time thanks to Three Dog Night. They might have introduced me to Elton John, too.
In addition to the hits — Paul Williams' "An Old Fashioned Love Song" and "The Family of Man," Hoyt Axton's "Never Been to Spain" — Harmony has songs by Joni Mitchell ("Night in the City"), Stevie Wonder ("Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer") and Moby Grape ("Murder in My Heart for the Judge").
spotify:album:53fiDqcEt0sEdbXF5gDetJ

So 10 seems to be a popular age to start getting into music!  I was around that age when I got this album - when I say bought I really mean "chose as my birthday present".  Played it to death, and still listen to it regularly (but thank goodness for Spotify because I had it on cassette!!)

https://open.spotify.com/album/3gORsZp3xSbkN1ymRNonp1

My first album i've ever bought was 'Curtain Call' by Eminem.

It got released at my 9th birthday, i went to the store at the same day to get it. ^^

spotify:album:71xFWYFtiHC8eP99QB30AA

Peace

My first album was also around the age of 9 or 10. My neighbor who was two years older and already in middle school (and therefore much cooler) had been listening to No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom and I knew I wanted my own copy.

The fellow Americans in the chat will understand when I say I dragged my dad to Best Buy haha.  I don't even think I knew the album name--just the artwork on the cover. I subsequently became obsessed with "Spiderwebs" "Just a Girl" and "Don't Speak". They will forever be anthems of the youth for my generation--they were very empowering for younger female listeners especially. 

spotify:album:3VekjWskUut57hx6W9wqL8

@Lee, dude what an awesome topic! 

Similar to you - Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory, was one of the first albums I ever owned and cemented my love for everything heavy. Chesters vocal-choruses were the soundtrack to my evenings while the beats were the backdrop to my walk to and from school. 

However, my journey to the heavy-side started roughly a year before then, when I was introduced to one of the most recognized rock/metal bands in the world (still is today) - Korn.

Korn's Issues was the first CD I ever bought. Before it's purchase, I was introduced to Falling Away from Me by an old school friend. I remember listening to his Sony Walkman Cassette Player (yes kids, that long ago) on a school-trip. Both of us with one earphone at the back of the bus - I was THAT cool.

spotify:track:2F6FfZ4w8z3eJpSxPotVO5

(btw, how cool is that album cover?)

The album today is still one of my favourites and brings back a lot of memories of that time, both good and bad. Eitherway this album has shaped me into the person I am today - and for that I am so ever grateful. Thank you Jonathan Davies. Thank you Korn.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5U0pevIOTrPoDsN8YsBCBh

I was 13 years old when this album came out. I bought the cassette and CD at the same time haha.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5lPdU5Y3XXHVUzA25PAdR5?context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A5lPdU5Y3XXHVUzA25PAd...

@Jim A Sony Cassette Player was the highest standard for Walkmen, maybe followed by Aiwa Cassette players on the second rank

When I was in middle school and in my pre-Spotify days I found new music by either listening to the radio or going to the library and picking out albums with cool cover art. This one struck my eye and to this day it is one of my favorites. My music library definitely started with my siblings passing down music, but I'm pretty sure it was the first album I bought for myself

spotify:album:1B5Lwt0D1ZetRreaCBYobP

Ice Cube's Amerikkka's Most Wanted. I was 10 years old when I bought it. I'm shocked that they sold it to me considering the hardcore content of the album.

My first album i bought at the age of 11 was a compilation Lp by Little Richard with kille tracks like:

spotify:track:3Os0VNtvEnRFlXSK5dvOFu 

and

spotify:track:6BYaGKDgQjNsMLpn4EeaRA

Never thought i would share this with someone in the public! 😄

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

I was 10 when I bought my first record, I'm talking about vinyls. It was the single My sharona by The Knack.

Later, my first LP was The game by Queen.

I still keep these records with several more that I bought in those years.

Follow me

The first one I remember buying was nirvana simultaneously I bought an electric guitar and started work to be a rockstar. Now I'll just settle on folk singer:)

https://open.spotify.com/album/7wOOA7l306K8HfBKfPoafr
Follow me

Metallica ReLoad

Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing wrogn with 90's era Metallica 🙂

spotify:album:73E6u02YIL3dK6UConUUv4

Follow me

First album I ever bought with my own money was when I was 10 going into a CD store with my dad and bought the most known guitarist out there in the world in the 60s. Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland!

https://open.spotify.com/track/0auKlivXpm76wR63mMJ3pR

Nice idea 🙂

My first Album was a long time ago 😉 and it did cost me a lot (double album Live !)

It was Supertramp - Paris (1979)

spotify:album:0pFn53PWW8QDz0dN13sK8o

https://open.spotify.com/track/4xLPOmzZAPg5NzRLon2pSN

Suggested posts