Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone X, iPhone 8, Chromecast Audio (3 devices), Motorola MG7315 modem/router

Operating System

iOS 13

My Question or Issue

Hi. We have 3 Chromecast Audio devices on my home network connected via a single Motorola MG7315 modem/router. All devices are confirmed to be running the latest firmware. We cast Spotify from either an iPhone XR or iPhone 8 running iOS 13. We have the latest Spotify app version on our phones. All Chromecast audio devices have <60 dBm signal strength. Lately we've been having an issue where Spotify is randomly dropping the connection to the Chromecast Audio devices. It doesn't matter whether one of us is casting to a single Chromecast Audio device or group of devices. But if a group of devices is playing, they all stop together when the casting "drops." Sometimes the issue happens several times within in an hour, requiring us to reconnect the device within the Spotify app each time to resume casting. It's super frustrating! The drops seem to happen at random, and it doesn't matter which phone is casting.  The phones can be sitting untouched/locked when the casting is interrupted, so it doesn't seem like obvious app interference on iOS. We only have ~8 devices connected to the home network, and there's nothing out of the ordinary about them (e.g., a TV, a couple of iPhones, MacBooks, Chromecast Audio devices), so it's not obvious that there would be device interference. Please help with ideas! The Spotify/Chromecast Audio setup had been working really well for a couple of years before this issue started presenting itself a couple months ago. Thank you so much!

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this. We'll be marking this as NRN, as our teams have already rolled out several improvements to improve the experience reported. As we're always rolling out improvements in the app, we'd recommend making sure to keep all your devices up to speed with any updates so you won't miss the latest.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
superfunki

Are you for real Peter? Nothing is happening. The lack of functionality is driving me nuts. Can you publish an estimated timeline of improvement?

I feel very disrespected as a customer being treated like you guys do. 

rui_castro

Dear Spotify,

It's been 4 months since this issue was reported.

The primary functionality of a music player is to play music. If the play function is buggy and it takes more than 4 months to fix, I, honestly, don't see a great future for your business. 

I'm a Google Play Music user for almost 10 years and I decided to give Spotify a try because I like the integration with facebook feature.

I've been trying to use Spotify daily for a month now, on the desktop, in the phone, in Google Home Mini and Google Chromecast. Since google integration is broken since January, I won't consider to change to Spotify anymore.

I wish you the best of luck for the future.

Best regards,

Rui Castro

LFVDK

This is outrageous @Peter !

How long does it take to inform one team about this matter and then be transparent on this forum to the ones experiencing this annoying bug. I agree with @superfunki , I too feel disrespected by this way of handling complaints and bugs. 

I feel in the coming week that I am going to switch to the competition, and inform as many people I know about dis-functioning Spotify and the lack of transparency in communicating.

udontneed2know

Great @Peter ! I think we received the exact same answer from Katrina like a week ago. 

How hard can it be to fix something that used to work perfectly for years ? It just feels like Spotify does not really care. Like others, I'm now really considering switching providers

One thing I noticed recently : if I start the music with a voice command on my phone, like 'hey google, play some music in the living room', music will start with whatever was last played, and if I then start spotify on my phone to take control and change the playlist, there is no drop issue

If I start spotify on the phone and then connect to the chromecast, it drops every 1-2 min

Phone model / version etc. already reported

Petedrake
Hang on! Its not me!! I have reported it too.
I'm one of the people having this issue as well.
PTSC

Hi Peter (Moderator)

Im writing to you with regards to your earlier response/post to an on-going issue with Spotify and Chromecast Audio. (See below)

Hey folks,

Thanks for continuing to add your info to this thread!

We've passed it on to the team who are currently investigating this.

We'll keep you posted with any updates as soon as we have them.

Cheers!

I have no doubt that you were being sincere and trying to be helpful to the Spotify community and its users, however As one of these users, I can very much say that your message came across as being hugely dismissive and very insulting. Not to mention completely pointless.

This issue has has been on-going now for many months (6+?) and literally the only communication Spotify has given since it was 1st reported has been 2 equally flaccid variations of the message you just recently posted.

I strongly urge you to read the constantly expanding list of complaints coming from

your customers and provide some real and meaningful feedback as to what is being done to address it.

Constantly repeating the same ridiculously stupid statement “we are letting the relevant technical teams know” has now become a running joke and embarrassment to all those who work at Spotify and also to those that use it!

If you are unable to provide more detailed information or solve the issue then please at least have the decency to inform us of this, at least then we will then be able to make an informed decision as to whether we want to continue to being a Spotify user or not. By stringing us along with these pointless posts is downright insulting and wrong on so many levels.

Come on Peter, we are begging you, man up, grow a pair of brass ones and tell us what is really happening. (Even if your bosses are intentionally asking you to with hold the truth). I think we deserve it and have a right to know.

Cheers,

P.

PS I initially tried to send the above post directly to Peter (Spotify Moderator), however it didn’t not work, so posting it here.

dround99

I echo the comments of fellow users. Sadly the impression is that Spotify as a company do not care about the technical issues that make the app unusable. Clearly we will have to vote with our feet.

With sadness, 

David

spott2

I agree with the above comments. This needs to be addressed solved by Spotify asap!

Meanwhile try to downgrade (see here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Spotify-Chromecast-Audio-Connection-Keeps-Dropping/i... ) as a workaround. This is not to take any load off Spotify, but rather to help current users who do not want to or cannot change their service right now.

If this problem persists there won't be any other choice than to cancel the subscription.

Satonaid

Hi Spotify Community

I am experiencing the same problems as other users. 

I have the latest version of Spotify, an updated IOS and still Spotify is diconecting my Chrome Cast  from time to time. Something which no other app is doing. 

Please Don’t say restart and reinstall because I have already been there. 

To me it sounds like a generel ongoing issue which has been troubeling me for a couple of months now. 

Do something please. 

djperron

Make and model of the device(s) this is happening on.

Pixel 3, Chromecast Audio
The Exact version of the operating system.

Android 10, build QQ2A.200501.001.B2
The Exact version of Spotify.

Spotify version 8.5.59.1137
The Chromecast firmware version.

Cast firmware version: 1.42.172094
Are you playing via voice commands or Connect?

Connect
An approximate time and date that this happened

Multiple times in the last 30 minutes