Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Adding Notes on Spotify

Adding Notes on Spotify

I have an idea (don't know if it's good or bad, but the thing is it doesn't let me post it in the idea forum so imma post it here. So sorry) but anyways whenever I make playlists, I've wished there was a way to add like a note to a song instead of writing everything in the bio section of each and every playlist.

For example, imagine if you make a playlist for someone, you add some songs to a playlist and you click on the three dots (you know the dots that are always on the right and it gives you options to remove and add songs from playlists etc.) and it appears an option to add a note. Let's say you are able to create a note for every song in your playlists individually (ex: 20 songs = 20 notes). Now lets say you have a song that you really love and you like to add that song to each and everyone of your playlists. The note option will give you the ability to make a new one, regardless if you put the same song twice in the same playlist or if you put the same songs that are found across all your personal playlists (as in the notes won't intersect with existing notes even if you have the same songs. Basically new notes will always be there regardless if you put the same song 100 times in one playlist or if you have a song that is found in all your playlists.) The only time a note won't be new is if you write on it (Also, you can always edit it later. I think you should add a autosave or a manual save button, or both.) The note option, will only work in collaboration mode or when you are the creator of the playlists. You can also hide notes in the playlists you make whether the playlist itself is public or private. Apart from that you can delete/erase notes that you've already made. 

The reason why I think this "note function" is needed is because I believe it can let fellow artists and users to interact/connect more with the app and for many it may let them express their thoughts more (especially when there are users that make playlists that have a theme/story around it.) This feature allows them to go beyond other than the bio section. The purpose for these notes could be like commenting or relating to the song such as "this song reminds me of when we went to Antarctica (or any place)." or "this song makes me feel like..... " or you could also write "this song or this specific line means to me...." (for those that like to express the many different unique meanings one song can hold.) It can also allow users to engage and form these connections through music by telling a story and it can definitely create or help reconnect memories through this option by relating it to the music (especially when there are people that reactive memories by listening to a certain song or melody).  It's also great for those that like to tell stories through your playlists or that are aspiring writers that like, making custom playlists for characters as well as writing scenarios for them. Remember this is just an idea that I thought for a while, (definitely got inspired by SoundCloud which lets you comment on songs publicly but I don't think they have something like this or at least specifically.)

Edit: I think whenever you make note you can the option to make it color coded and the notes could be subtle. Like on the three dots it says show note or hide note . I also think Spotify in general should let users have the option to choose to have different colors as the background.)

thank you

29 Replies

Hey @lucasaeraf,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

As @Kiril mentioned before, we found a similar idea that has already been posted on our Idea boards. You can add your vote here and subscribe to it for any future developments or updates.

Regardless of the status it has, it's still open for voting and we'll check back with a new status if there's any info to share.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

One work around for just personal use (can't share it with people) is to create a playlist folder and drag songs into this to add them to it, which will create a new playlist containing that song. If you keep doing this you end up with playlists inside the playlist folder each containing just one song, and you can edit the description of each of these playlists to describe the song. Double clicking on the playlist folder will play all songs inside so it functions just like a normal playlist. But you can't share this playlist folder

אני כותב בעברית כי לא נראה לי שמה שנכתוב זה לא ישנה כלום....

הפוסט הוא מלפני כמה שנים ועדיין אין אפשרות להוסיף הערות

למה אני רוצה אפשרות להוסיף הערה ? כי הרבה פעמים אני רוצה לרשום איך הגעתי לשיר - למשל יש הרבה שירים שגיליתי בסרטים

אז אני רוצה לרשום באיזה סרט גיליתי את השיר ואז כשאני שומע את השיר אני יכול לראות איך גיליתי אותו 

למשל את השיר 

horizon ane brun

גיליתי בסרט שנקרא 

puzzles

Dustin O'Halloran, Ane Brun - Horizons (From "Puzzle" Soundtrack) (Official Video) - YouTube

ויש עוד הרבה שירים כאלו

אשמח אם זה יקרה מתי שהוא תודה מראש

Dustin O'Halloran, Ane Brun - Horizons (From "Puzzle" Soundtrack) (Official Video) - YouTube

I work in media and often have to send people tracks with a note to correspond to locally stored footage. Being able to put a label or a note on a song right beneath the track/artist info or something would be super helpful.

Absolutely.   I am just putting together a playlist called "Piano music that I had performed by the age of 21".    And for each piece, I want to add a note about where I performed it, what age I was when I performed it, and why I have chosen this specific artist performing it, given that I don't have recordings of myself to hand.

That's really cool, I agree with the notes feature it can also help form a special connection between a song and a memory. I  feel like currently with playlists, I may have the same song in a variety of playlists, but the song itself is an experience. One that differs regarding the playlist it is in, it provides a certain mood or memory when it is associated with a playlist. I feel with the notes, you can go in depth how a certain song provides a special experience (although a temporary one) and create a link.

For the past few months, I have started listening to different language songs (specially from Anime shows and movies) and after a while it gets difficult to track which song came from which show (specially songs with Japanese Name). So, a little option to add a note to song (while right clicking a specific song which is in a personal playlist, not in general view), and thus while sharing playlist, someone will get the idea of the show it's coming from, or the emotion associated with it. I guess it won't be much of a feature it might be a useful source for enhancing a playlist automatically or finding users liking.

Could you please repost the link to the existing notes idea? When I click the link you provided it returns with an "Access Denied" message. 

This is what I wanted to suggest. I would like to be able to leave brief notes on songs in my playlist if I want to. There could be a cap of 50 words, give or take, but it would improve the quality of life so much and I believe it is a feature that all users will appreciate. 

I would like to have short explanations on why I add songs to a playlist, especially if I’m making them for my friends. 

TLDR;

This is a genius idea that completely transforms the user experience on Spotify, adding features like user interaction (especially if custom "notebook" pages are added, like official music wikis for Spotify), playlist labeling, and advanced song searching.

My Problem

I was running into a similar problem where I wanted to add labels to certain spots in a playlist because I custom-order my playlists by different vibes.For example, indicating where a more chill vs. hype few songs are located in a larger playlist. If songs had notes, and additionally those notes could be made visible when viewing a playlist (even have a playlist view toggle button in the playlist edit section), this would solve my problem with practicality for a lot of songs.

Community Interaction

You could make a new section in the information button for a song that contains a list of all of the "public" notes on a song, as a sort of community notes functionality. Notes could be added to individual playlists too to create community notes on playlists, letting playlist creators interact with their listeners. And what if you are using a playlist to send a lot of song recommendations at once to someone? This allows you to label each song with a word or two that conveys your thoughts on it, that users could see on the playlist. Having a toggleable view note in as a button next to each song when editing a playlist would be gold. 

Playlist Customization

Additional playlist customization (maybe a separate thing entirely) that could be used with a note is having positional notes be placed in playlists, like "headings" of a playlist that organize songs into dropdown playlist sub-categories that could be clicked on and off while playing a playlist.

Song Searching

Now, such as in the liked songs playlist, you could search for a specific word and show songs with that word in their notes, This could help when searching a huge playlist for a bunch of songs. Or when searching for a song on Spotify itself, if the most common community note words were included in the search functionality. Or when searching people, like using a word that will search all the public notes that person has, either in all of their Spotify history or in their playlists. This could allow you to get custom music recommendations from an account without even knowing them, adding more functionality to Spotify's "public" playlists and searching for playlists.

ADD THIS FEATURE ASAP

This idea is a great extension of the Spotify system. I'm sure that adding an entirely new field for custom user text for every possible song on Spotify would increase user information storage requirements and would add plenty of privacy considerations, but it would add such a vibrant aspect to the Spotify community. If public notes were available on any playlist or song, Spotify would become a social hub for music lovers. It would make the user experience highly customizable. IDK if this is even within Spotify's vision though. Spotify wikipages could be added as an official version.

Suggested posts