Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Amazon echo "Alexa : I can't find songs by ... on spotify"

Solved!

Amazon echo "Alexa : I can't find songs by ... on spotify"

Hello everybody 

I don't know if anybody else has this problem with the new Amazon Echo 2nd generation but no matter what I ask Alexa to play on Spotify I always get the same message : I can't find songs by (artist) on spotify!

I have setted Spotify in the Alexa app as my default player but nothing changes.

I hope someone can help me with this as I'm totally unable to use Alexa to play music. 

Via the Spotify app everything works ok.

Thank you

Patrick

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello everybody,

I have solved the problem.  I think the issue came from the fact that my echo was registred from the US account with a US address.  I deregistered the echo from the US account and used my Amazon.co.uk account to re-register and everything worked fine.  the menus in settings are all different especially in the music&media where now i have Amazon music, spotify, pandora, iheartradio and Tunein.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi, I followed this solution and it worked for me in Spain.

I did the same except that I made a new amazon account and I linked echo to this account in the UK.

https://crstanier.co.uk/journal/19-amazon-alexa-echo-spotify-cannot-find-songs-by-artist-album

View solution in original post

40 Replies

Have the very same problem. Haven't found a solution yet. It's really annoying.

Same problem here.

Ok, I found an 'annoying' solution that works on my side. Simply put, Alexa will only play what is on my library. So if you want to play songs by The beatles, you need to have them as an artist you follow on your library. The really annoying thing about this is that if you want a particular song, you need to have it saved in your library as well. So even if you follow The Beatles, asking Alexa to "play (the song) Yellow submarine by the Beatles" won't work unless you have Yellow Submarine saved in your music library. 😞

ps. Sometimes Alexa seems to need some time after 'following' an artist before it can find it in your library, so give it some time if it doesn't work at the first attempt!

I've been having this problem too, according to reddit it should play any song on Spotify but I can only get it to find songs saved in my library, which is kind of ridiculous 

A week or so ago I didn't have this problem. I could ask for anything on Spotify. Hopefully it will be sorted out soon!

maybe they disabled other regions from access to the service, are all of you outside of the USA/UK ? mine stopped working too. Lots of skills need to be in the correct region.

I think I will give up on them and revert to google home.

I'm in the UK, Amazon music searches everything but not Spotify, I'll try setting my region to US

This has just started happening to me. Alexa can no longer find anything on spotify? I have tried everything. It can’t be a massive issue as it would be all over the Internet- this is pretty much the only forum that mentions it. Driving me nuts. 

This is not how it’s meant to work. I’ve had it for a year and everything was fine. Suddenly it’s an issue. 

Add me to the list. 

Alexa have been working great for a year. I have noticed this today

Got the same issue from France. It was working on last Tuesday but since Thursday or Wednesday didn’t work anymore. I tried with many popular artists.

Marked as solution

Hello everybody,

I have solved the problem.  I think the issue came from the fact that my echo was registred from the US account with a US address.  I deregistered the echo from the US account and used my Amazon.co.uk account to re-register and everything worked fine.  the menus in settings are all different especially in the music&media where now i have Amazon music, spotify, pandora, iheartradio and Tunein.

I'll have to try this later

Hello,

Patrick is right.

My Amazon account is on set with FRANCE as a region.

I switch back to UK region, logout from Alexa, re-login and relink my spotify account.

I change the region from Account & List > Manage your content and devices > Settings Tab.

Cheers!

Same here. Worked flawlessly for one year, then this week searching stopped working.

Tried to unlink and relink Spotify account to no avail.

Have Italian Spotify account and have Alexa location as Berlin, Germany so to get the correct time zone. Looks like an API changed and somebody forgot to update it.

Any official answer? Who is responsible for this, Spotify or Amazon?

Tried the solution above about region
It worked perfectly

I must be doing something wrong because it's not working to me.

I went to amazon.co.uk and changed my address to a UK address.

Then I went to alexa.amazon.co.uk (the app wasn't working correctly), in the settings tab for my echo I changed the device location to the same valid UK adress. Then deregistered the device and went through the set up process again. I checked that the address was still there and ....nothing, it still can't find anything that's not on my library. What did I missed?

Success!! Thank you for that fix it worked for me. To help in detail:

I logged into amazon.co.uk -> hit the account icon -> Content and Devices -> 3 line menu icon [on mobile browser] -> Settings -> Country Settings. 

This was set to USA for some reason. I THINK I may have followed a link a week back that took me to the .com (US) site where I will have had an account from when I lived there. This may have been the reason it was switched - it’s the only reason I can think of. 

I reset this to my correct UK address then went into the Alexa app -> Settings -> Music and Media -> Spotify ... unlinked then re-linked he account and now have the Beatles playing..

Many thanks for the original post explaining. 

Edit. I managed to make it work!! Many thanks to all of you!

Suggested posts