Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Autoplay on Google Nest Hub

Autoplay on Google Nest Hub

When a song, playlist or album is complete on the Spotify app for my Google Nest Hub (2nd gen), the autoplay function does not work. It just goes silent. Autoplay is selected in my app settings on mobile and desktop.

autoplay.JPG
10 Replies

Hey @802025,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. We moved your post from the Ideas board to the relevant Help board, where it fits better.

Would you mind letting us know how you play? Where do you start the playback and what your Autoplay settings are in the other apps as well? 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

There are a few different ways I can play music on my 2nd gen Google Nest Hub.

• I can use the Spotify app on my Google Pixel 7 to connect to the Nest Hub.
  • I can use voice commands to play albums and playlists on the Nest Hub.
  • I can navigate to recommended playlists using the Spotify app embedded in the Nest Hub

No matter which way I play music, there are a few settings that don't carry over. First being Autoplay. Once an album or playlist ends, the music simply stops. I have the setting checked in my App as I have illustrated in my original post. Also, the normalize volume does not work. Tracks vary wildly in volume which is especially disturbing as I listen to music at night. Sometimes the songs are loud and sometimes so quiet. And then most times i wake up and no music is playing because Autoplay is failing to kick in.

Hey @802025,

Thanks for your reply and the detailed info shared.

We'd like to try some additional alternatives. For starters, make sure that the option Autoplay on other devices is toggled on in the mobile device app settings. You can find this option under Playback in settings. Let us know how it goes.

On another note, check if the option Spotify Connect in the background is toggle on as well. To check this, go to settings> Devices> Spotify connect in background. Give it a try to check if you notice any difference when using your mobile device and the Connect feature to play music on the Google Nest Hub.

Lastly, just to confirm, has the app always been behaving like this or does it start to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? Please send us the details about it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Thanks for the reply! I've attached a screenshot showing that both options are checked. I don't have 'Autoplay on other devices' but I do have 'Autoplay'

The app has behaved like this ever since I first tried it with my Google Nest Hub (2nd Gen) device.

Screenshot_20230104-112959.png

Hey @802025,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info you sent.

If the option to "Autoplay on other devices" is not available, it's possible that the version of the app is not totally updated. In this case, we'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a quick one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

If the issue persists, would you mind checking on a different device (using your own account) to see if it makes any difference? If you don't have another one available, you can borrow one from a friend or family member to test it out. 

Let us know how it goes. 

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for the reply. I've performed a clean uninstall of Spotify on my Pixel 7 device running Android 13. Reinstalled app (version 8.7.92.521) and still do not see "Autoplay on other devices" as an option. My Spotify app for PC does not have it either. In both cases, only "Autoplay" is visible, not an other devices setting. I've attached the PC settings view, as the Android has stayed the same since my last upload.

Can someone confirm that the "Autoplay on other devices" option exists for them on an up-to-date version of the Spotify app?

PC.JPG

Hey @802025,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We appreciate all the info you've sent and the time you're taking following the instructions along with keeping us updated about it. to keep investigating the function with the relevant teams, we need to gather as much info as possible to isolate the possible reason.

As this issue could be account-related as well, would you mind finding someone to log their account on your own device to see if they have the option available?

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

No problem. My wife and I have a Duo account. I have a Google Pixel 7 and she has an iPhone 13 I believe. I logged into her account on my device and there was only "Autoplay" and likewise when I logged into my account on her device same thing.

Can you verify for me that the setting still exists on your device as well? Perhaps it was removed. All I am seeing is the "Autoplay" and not "Autoplay on other devices".

Hi there @802025,

Thanks for the reply and the troubleshooting you've done.

I've been digging around some more about this issue and it looks like there are some changes being implemented to how Autoplay works with Connect devices, like Google Home and Alexa speakers. 

Currently, the option for 'Autoplay on other devices' is not available on the Spotify app, so you can't control the Autoplay settings on such Connect devices through that. At the moment, it's being tested that the 'Autoplay' switch would control the setting on all devices which your account is logged into. 

Since this is still in testing and is largely dependent on the current release of the app which you're running and the current firmware update that other Connect devices have, there might be a short period in which this won't be working. 

We tested this out in our team and it looks like nobody has the 'Autoplay on other devices' control option currently available. 

I'd suggest you try disabling and re-enabling the 'Autoplay setting' to check if that does enable Autoplay on your speaker. If that doesn't do the trick, keep your Spotify apps and speaker firmware up to date, as a fix for this might very well be released in one of the upcoming updates. 

We've passed your feedback on to the right folks at Spotify.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Thank you Alex for digging into this for me. I believe the Google Nest Hub and the Spotify app within update themselves so I will be on the lookout.

Suggested posts