Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast not showing in Spotify App

Solved!

Chromecast not showing in Spotify App

I have 5 Chromecast Audios in hour home, connected to speakers (kitchen, outside, basement, etc). Within Google Cast all are shown, and it mentions I can open Spotify App to go 'casting'. It has been working since I installed the Chromecasts. It works on my wifes mobile (Samsung S6), and on my kids (Iphones of course). I have a Samsung S7, and as said, it has worked for months. And suddenly it has stoppen; when I open the Spotify App, it does not show that there are 'devices nearby' which normally let me choose between the different rooms. And again, it is working for my wife and kids. I have tried installing Spotify again on my phone, I have turned down the WiFi routers (but I am absolutely on the same netwerk). Any ideas; I'm getting crazy ! Why is this suddenly not working anymore ? We are on a family plan, btw. Thanks ! Robert-Jan

132 Replies

For me the Chromecast used to appear as a "Spotify Connect" device and was rock solid for MONTHS.  Now, it shows as a "Google Cast" device in Spotiy (mobile only) and barely works requiring a mix of the Google Home app and Spotify to control.  Nothing changed on my end (other than the constant push of updates) but the net result is somethign near unusable.  Bravo Spotify, off to Google Music I go I guess.

i have the same issue as well. and i cannot find any workarounds for a fix. It is quite frustrating to listen to spotify through phone speakers for 30 minutes, before the iOS finally detects my chromecasts.  Even more frustrating because youtube netflix and google home app always detect both chromecasts right away. I hope it can be fixed.

N.b. i only starting to experience the issue quite recently; around the time iOS 11 was launched. might this be causal?

OzziDuff I've found pretty much all the apps have some issues or limitations - but in terms of streaming via ChromeCast, Google Play Music (naturally...) and Pandora work well. I like the latter since they just recently launched on-demand capabilities and their "radio" feature, (similar artists/music) is superior to anybody elses.

Good luck!

I think I have found the issue. Temporary wifi channel network congestion and the app never refreshes the available devices once resolved. 

I've downloaded WiFi Analyser with my device 0.5m from my router. I live in an apartment block in HK. 

Whenever I encountered the issue I would check all the channels and observe huge congestion, with other signals out competing mine in power. 

The router quickly switches channels and the app only works once refreshing. If the channel remains unchanged and I reset the app, the issue is not fixed. 

Support: I've gone to massive lengths to provide you with every detail possible, also prompted your team to re open this thread when it was accidentally closed. 

To date the responses have, whilst jovial, pathetic. At this stage you have large volumes of users complaining about a functionality issue which has persisted most of the year. 

At this stage the expectation is you would have recreated the issue in your own test environment, isolated the issue and submitted the root cause to your L3/Dev team to build into a release for a permanent fix. 

Requesting you escalate this to your L2 team to investigate with higher urgency. I'll also now be seeking out the Twitter accounts of your senior management and link back to this thread to ensure we get some momentum here. 

Many thanks in advance for helping drive this to a conclusion. 

M.

I have the same issue. In my case I'm using a Moto X Play and a Chromecast Audio.

A number of other apps on my phone (Google Play Music, TuneIn Radio Pro, DS Audio, YouTube, etc.) are able to find and connect to the Chromecast Audio without any problems at all. Spotify, on the other hand, either doesn't see the Chromecast Audio or takes a very long time (30-60 s) to connect to it. 

Almost at my wits' end with Spotify these days!

I also have this problem several times a day, every day on my Google Pixel XL android phone.  One or both of my Chromecast audio devices doesn't show on the devices list.  Force stopping the Spotify app from the applications list then restarting Spotify always works.  Both Chromecast devices will show immediately after restarting.  At the very least, a refresh option on the devices list would be helpful.

I'm having the same issues and have posted several times in this forum and I have been in contact with the Spotify support team without getting any help. It seems the company is making too much money to care about their customers' problems. As DJT would say: "Sad"!

Same problem here with a Nexus 5. Both my Chromecasts show in Google Home app but only "sometimes" in Spotify. I force close and restart Spotify and they show up in device list. Other problems have been not being able to control music from Spotify while pause and play is working in Google Home app, often causing dual streams playing from both my phone and Chromecast at the same time.

Same problem here. Spotify, though my tv and speakers is how I listen to music. And I listen a lot. This is a seriously big issue and I'm contemplating shifting to Google Play at this point. All my devices show up in spotify, but non of them can see the chromecase - which is up to date, and on the same network. I've tried connecting things at different times (ie tv last or first). Nothing works.

Bookmarking this thread. Can you possibly post back if you ever elicit a satisfactory response on this? 

@Metcam2 wrote:

I think I have found the issue. Temporary wifi channel network congestion and the app never refreshes the available devices once resolved. 

I've downloaded WiFi Analyser with my device 0.5m from my router. I live in an apartment block in HK. 

Whenever I encountered the issue I would check all the channels and observe huge congestion, with other signals out competing mine in power. 

The router quickly switches channels and the app only works once refreshing. If the channel remains unchanged and I reset the app, the issue is not fixed. 

Support: I've gone to massive lengths to provide you with every detail possible, also prompted your team to re open this thread when it was accidentally closed. 

To date the responses have, whilst jovial, pathetic. At this stage you have large volumes of users complaining about a functionality issue which has persisted most of the year. 

At this stage the expectation is you would have recreated the issue in your own test environment, isolated the issue and submitted the root cause to your L3/Dev team to build into a release for a permanent fix. 

Requesting you escalate this to your L2 team to investigate with higher urgency. I'll also now be seeking out the Twitter accounts of your senior management and link back to this thread to ensure we get some momentum here. 

Many thanks in advance for helping drive this to a conclusion. 

M.

Same issue with Spotify on Oneplus 3t and PC running Windows. My Chromecast devices (normal + audio) randomly show up or don't show up. Very frustrating, and I'm having no issues with other streaming apps like Netflix or TV.

It disappeared and never back again. YouTube Netflix and other apps can see my Chromecast but Spotify.

This must be Spotify's problem

Still broken. Please see attachments showing Spotify losing visibility of the cast device whilst Home app still remains connected. 

Screenshot_20171112-215555.png
Screenshot_20171112-215616.png
Screenshot_20171112-215651.png

Same problem here. I have one chromecast and 2 Up-to-date Spotify clients installed in a Mac Book Pro laptop and a desktop with Ubuntu Linux, both of them used to detect it the first 2 weeks but now neither of them would work as expected. Definitely a Spotify issue. 

On my end I do not see my CHROME CAST in SPOTIFY ON MY MAC thereby I have to first open Spotify on my iphone stream to chrom cast on my tv then and only then I can control the stream from my mac, really annoying.

FYI this community post message is really by far far ! NOT the best way to support clients... have a real submit request page it would really ease things up...

The SpotTrooper

It's a miracle! Since last week it looks like my Chromecasts don't keep disappearing from my Spotify device list anymore.

Has Spotify really bothered to fix this bug at last or is this just a coincidence? Has anybody else noticed an improvement lately?

I have the same experience. Hopefully it has been fixed 🙂

Still the same for me. Have you uninstall and reinstall the MacBook app or it just went away ? 

The SpotTrooper

@SpotTrooper wrote:

Still the same for me. Have you uninstall and reinstall the MacBook app or it just went away ? 

Your problem is a little bit different from what I described in this thread. I had a problem with my Chromecast devices not showing up in Spotify on my Android phones (typically right after connecting my phone to my wifi).

Your problem is that the Chromecast devices does not show up in Spotify on a Mac computer. I have a Windows PC with the same problem as you describe: A Chromecast device or group of devices - in use - will only show up on the PC app if I have first started playing on Chromecast from my Android phone. The Chromecast device(s) not in use, will never show in Spotify on my PC. I'm still happy that my original problem seems to have been solved though 🙂

@SpotTrooper wrote:

Your problem is a little bit different from what I described in this thread. I had a problem with my Chromecast devices not showing up in Spotify on my Android phones (typically right after connecting my phone to my wifi).

Your problem is that the Chromecast devices does not show up in Spotify on a Mac computer. I have a Windows PC with the same problem as you describe: A Chromecast device or group of devices - in use - will only show up on the PC app if I have first started playing on Chromecast from my Android phone. The Chromecast device(s) not in use, will never show in Spotify on my PC. I'm still happy that my original problem seems to have been solved though 🙂

Suggested posts