Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover suggestions feedback

Discover suggestions feedback

In the last few days the 'Discover' suggestions changed from being based on my listening to generic 'best seller' stuff I have no interest in.  If I listen to Bonobo or DJ Cam or Boards of Canada, why does it suggest Simon & Garfunkel, Foo Fighters and Notorious BIG?

**subject edited to fit all posts in thread

52 Replies

I'm just reporting an issue with the 'Discover' feature on Spotify. For the past 6 months I have been using it consistently to find new music in line with my tastes.

However compared to a month or so ago (I've been away on holiday for a month and haven't used it in that time) it's only showing around 10 artists that are related to the music I listen to, along with approx 150 artists who are "Trending near me", "Popular in your area" or "Popular right now on Spotify".

Is this going to be fixed and please could you let me know ASAP. Or is this intentional? i.e. are Spotify receiving sponsorship from the artists that are shown? None of these artists have been chosen as a result of my music tastes mostly it is top 40 music that frankly offends me!

This feature was previously good and helped me to discover what is now some of my favourite music... as such it quite upsets me that it has changed. It is the sole reason I use Spotify so I will be cancelling my premium subscription and no longer recommending to my friends if this is how things are going to be from now on. What's funny is I would actually be prepared to pay a higher subscription fee if this aspect was improved rather than ruined.

martinc00 schrieb:

However compared to a month or so ago (I've been away on holiday for a month and haven't used it in that time) it's only showing around 10 artists that are related to the music I listen to, along with approx 150 artists who are "Trending near me", "Popular in your area" or "Popular right now on Spotify".

That's an interesting hint and might be the reason why some users are completely satisfied with their recommendations and others are not. So a longer listening pause of several weeks would actually cause Spotify to forget or abandon your former listening habits and treat you like a new user with no listening history at all.

I listen to music on Spotify regulary and I have the same thing. Some artists are based on my taste, then the rest is popular, mainstream...things i don't like.

I'm still asking around for more information about this.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Since a few months back the Discover feature just gives me the same genres of music even though I listen to a lot of different genres. It seem to be stuck with basing the discover-content on something that i listend to during a brief period those few months back. Its REALLY frustrating cause its a great feature that I used a LOT before. Now I'm just fed with the same psytrance songs and a few black metal ones, mostly the same 10 artists and compilations over and over... Pretty much useless for me now as I've already "discovered" them.

Any way I can "reset" this feature or make it base the recommendations on my recently played music?

Cheers.

Exactly the same for me. Use to listen to classical music mainly and my discover page is crowded with mainstream stuff (Pitbull etc.pp) I never listened to. Relevant mosic is almost completely gone. 

Please fix this.

@hans-jürgen wrote:
That's an interesting hint and might be the reason why some users are completely satisfied with their recommendations and others are not. So a longer listening pause of several weeks would actually cause Spotify to forget or abandon your former listening habits and treat you like a new user with no listening history at all.

That is not the case for me.  My Discover section has turned into a mainstream trashcan and I did not stop using spotify for several weeks.

Guys, just complain publicly on twitter @SpotifyCares it is the only way to get their attention

After at lot of searching I found an artical that sujested you log out of  your spotify  account on all platforms. Reboot all and then log back in. I must say my discovery is now as it should be, but i did make sure that I listened to a lot of music that I liked before checking discovery again. so far all is ok...

Thanks for the suggestion @rockerdcc54 , definitely worth a shot. I haven't forgotten about this, still trying to gather some extra data about the issue.

Peter

Thanks rockerdcc54, it acctually worked...to a certain degree 🙂 The Discovery feature is no longer based on the same 5 or so artists but THREE newer artists that I've been listeing too. It's a long list only saying "Like X? Check out...", "You listened to Z. Here is an album you might like..." and "If you like Y, try...". With XYZ being the same artists over and over again... Oh well...atleast I got new suggestions now, I hope it expands the coming weeks 🙂

Signing out and then back in on all my devices doesn't seem to resolve the issue for me. It was quite an unpleasant shock to suddenly discover today that "Discover" is no longer presenting me with relevant music, as it once did. Everything presented now seems to be either "Popular in your area" or "Trending near you".

Is there a way to restore the old recommendation system? Or is this a temporary "glitch" that will be resolved?

Hello!

I am having some trouble with the recommendations on my Kindle Fire. The music that is trending near me is absolute garbage and I do not want to see it at all.

Is there a way I can remove it?

I do not have location based services enabled, but I think I may have at some point.

Thanks!

Seriously... what is popular or trending near me is the furthest thing from relevant I can imagine.  I've been using, and paying for, Spotify premium for a long time.  I use the discover tab every day to explore new RELEVANT music related to what I listen to.  Today... the only music listed under Discover is all "popular in your area" or "trending near you".  Not a single relevant recommendation... I scrolled through pages and pages of recommendations... anything from Brittney Spears to Metallica to The Notorious BIG???  

I do not, under any circumstance, ever care to know or be presented with music that is trending or popular based on my location.  This change needs to be reverted ASAP as it truly is the absolute worst idea anyone could have ever thought of.   

Ok i have posted here a few times. As I also experienced Discover completely losing my identity and likes.

If you have a lot of songs or starred favourites, just start following some of these artists to help get it back on the right track.

I genuinely believe they changed something under the hood, why do we need to hold its hand 😉

Hi, unfortunately that's built into the app and cannot be removed. I think the near you comes from your IP location so only way to get around this would be to try a VPN to spoof your location to somewhere with a better musical taste.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hey guys! 🙂 

After having a discussion with some of the community team about this, I don't feel the behaviour we are seeing is a bug so I can't raise it that way. 

With that in mind, and the fact Spotify have definitely made some changes to browse/discover I think it would be best to move this discussion over to the Ideas Exchange. If someone wants to suggest things they want changed like more personal recommendations, ability to hide "trending near you" etc:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/idb-p/ideaexchange

The ideas exchange is your place to make it known to Spotify exactly what you would like changed, so go wild! 

Peter

Sounds good, however: it is a bug.
Incorrect queries or whatever, it does not (re)present what it should (re)present: music that is related to my taste or based on my listening history. Especially with echonest to have to figure out can/should be fixed in 5 minutes. The discover behaviour changed suddenly and it is no bug!?

Either remove discover or fix it, but sending us to an ideas box (which, ofcourse are the long term solution which in the end will not make it into production versions) is not done

Suggested posts