Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Finally ban flash from web player, replace with html5

Finally ban flash from web player, replace with html5

In times of big security nightmares at flash you need to ban flash from the web player and replace it with html5.

I refuse to install any software on my computer which take place in the media every week due to security gaps.

In my opinion it's just a matter of time until you realize that flash is out of time so finally convene a meeting with programmers and attack the problem.

9 Replies

Downloading the desktop app is much more secure if you hate flash. The desktop app allows you to enjoy more of what's offered by Spotify Premium. Also, it will take a lot of effort to move away from flash and it looks like the web is getting a bit irrelevant as apps have become popular. After a few years, will you ditch the Spotify app on android by just using the HTML5 version? No, because apps are better and can do more. The only advantage of HTML5 is that there is no more flash and it will be available cross-platform even in Safari for iPhones but it's not a good reason to do the effort needed. (Note: Just my thoughts not Spotify's thoughts)

I use the web player sometimes in addition to the desktop app since I don't want to interrupt the current queue I'm listening to. I agree that it must be time to let Flash go.

I use Spotify from 5 years including 3 premium (not on this account, I had to put everything on it because of the mandatory authentication Fb). I stop my subscription precisely because Flash. I do not use the desktop player because the web application can be used on any PC just a browser and thanks to my login id (I use several PC at home but also among my friends). I often listen to music and play a video game (hearstone example). But flash has the unfortunate tendency snacking throughout the processor power, something that did not happen when I started on spotify. This is a known issue and flash I found whenever I have to use flash on a pc (facebook application / streaming). Outside the equivalent html5-compatible applications processor consumes almost nothing. I have 20 years of data, rather I have a good level, and clearly today Flash is an insult to the spirit sensitized to a minimum web world (too heavy and not provided at the base for functions that we gave him the last 10 years). I love spotify but as you will not be spent in html5 player on your website, I will not resign.

#1 reason for a lot of business users to stop using Spotify is because the desktop app is blocked at work for streaming.
The web player is not blocked, but Flash is not supported by most companies, so we NEED a HTML5 version of the web player...

EXACTLY.

Even a "beta" at first would be welcomed. May people cannot for corporate reasons or chose not to for security reasons use Flash. Further, all major browsers have plans to further sandbox and eventually disable Flash by default relying on HTML5. Spotify needs to get to work with a beta site or when Flash isn't detected auto send to the beta site for playback. Google Music and Lastfm work without Flash -- spotify must as well.

Sitting at work right now trying to figure out a way to listen to spotify without flash and the desktop app available. Please use html5 for the webplayer! 

Some people can't install an app on the machine they are on.

I love how so called "rock stars" like you just puppet drivel from previous thread.

Even Adobe said Flash is deprecated, so how can Spotify, in their right mind, still allow this unsecure Flash install to be requested in the Webbased browser player? Google Chrome, latest version.

IKR

Suggested posts