Premium

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S9+, Chromecast Gen 3

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

Noticed today that volume when casting to Chromecast is significantly lower than normal. I've reinstalled the Spotify app and did a factory reset on the Chromecast itself, but that didn't resolve the problem.  Volume is like normal on all other apps I can cast with and there doesn't seem to be a problem with my system.

Is anyone else having this problem?

85 Replies

Is anyone keeping track of Spotify updates for the Chromecast? A fix for this should roll out at any point, I'm guessing.

Fun fact: I thought my receiver was dying the first time this happened. Imagine my relief after finding out it was good old Spotify for the Chromecast.

I stopped using Google Chromecast after the last incident we had, I shifted to Spotify Connect, much more reliable and sound is very clear, dynamic,...

I still communicate with Google about the issue, will infor you guys of any update from them,...

Spoiler
Not fixed for me either... I'm currently using the XBOX ONE to cast and get some decent sound volume...

Same here! Seemed to have been fixed for a day last week and now same issue ..

Is this issue on Google's end or Spotify's end?  Is there a specific forum thread over at Google we should comment on?

I have the same problem with both Chromecast Audio and Ultra from some days ago..., the volume is very reduced, what does not happen when playing on Tidal or Synology's DS Audio.... plannig to quit spotify premium if the issue is not fixed permanently, because I use Spotify almost only on Chromecast...

I think this might be an issue with the Spotify app running on the Chromecast, since everyone else is behaving nicely.

But some people say they've been chatting to Google, so I could be wrong.

Hey there folks,

We're seeing reports that the volume when using Chromecast devices is lower than it should. If you're experiencing this, we'd first recommend trying the following:

• Make sure that both devices are on the same WiFi network when this happens
  • The Spotify app is updated to the latest version available
  • You've performed a clean reinstallation of the app following the steps here
  • Check to make sure the volume is turned all the way up on your mobile device or tablet. Use your TV remote to control the volume up and down.
  • Follow all the troubleshooting steps provided in this support site article
  • Try using a different internet connection 
  • All devices are up to speed with any software updates

If the issue persists, let us know by adding your +VOTE and following details in a comment below:

• Your device and its OS version
  • The version of the Spotify on your device
  • Is this happening when controlling the volume of the Chromecast from the Google Home app?

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

The issue persist even following the instructions...

Your device and its OS version:
-iphone 6S Plus - iOS 12.4.1
- but the same issue with Desktop and iPad app (this is not the problem...)

The version of the Spotify on your device:
- on iphone, version 8.5.23.644

Is this happening when controlling the volume of the Chromecast from the Google Home app?
- In both cases, at volume 100% on spotify sounds like at 70% on any other app (Tidal, DS Audio, etc)

Just remember this issue didn't exist one month ago.

Thanks.

I have 4 Chromecast Ultra in my entire house,

all of which are having the same issues.

Volume is very low in dynamics when casting from ALL my iOs devices (iPhone XS Max, iPad Mini 4 and an iPad)

Did everything I know, erased, reinstalled, reset my iOs devices, reset my Yamaha Receiver, but the problem still persists. I have been coordinating the problem with Google eversince, I have no idea where the problem lies, connecting/streaming via the Spotify Connect on the Yamaha Receiver has a huge volume difference. I have the video clip that I sent to Google showing the problem, if you are interested, I can send it to you as well,...

iPhone XS Max

Firmware: 12.4.1

Spotify Ver. 8.5.23.644

iPad Air 2

Spotify Ver. 8.5.23.644

iPad Mini 4

Spotify Ver. 8.5.23.644

Yamaha RX-A2040

Firmware: 1.98

Yamaha RX-A1030

Firmware: 1.98

Thanks,...

Hey,

I'm on Android 10 on a Pixel 2, up-to-date.

Spotify's version is on my phone is 8.5.23.686. Not sure which one it is on the Chromecast, though.

This happens always, no matter where I'm controlling the volume of the app from.

Thanks for helping out!

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+

Spotify App: 8.5.23.686

Home App: 2.13.50.15

Chromecast 3rd Gen: Firmware version 1.42.168007

Yes, the volume is much lower even with volume on the device set to 100%. Controlling volume via Home app does nothing to change the lower volume overall.

Update, this morning volume was fine, tonight it's too low again!

My volume was back to normal this morning.  This issue is very frustrating!

Yep, for a few weeks everything was fine. But today I noticed that this low volume problem is on again. All apps are of newest versions. Google Home seems to have been updated yesterday, I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting back to us with that info.

Could you confirm if following the steps suggested in this Google support site article resolve the issue?

If not, then we'll go ahead and report this to the right folks at Spotify.

Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂

Same problem. Nokia 7 Plus, Android 9. Spotify 8.5.23.686

Problem occurs in Spotify app only on the phone. Other Android apps are fine connected to Chromecast. When connected phone volume button becomes "Chromecast volume" on screen, which shows as full volume, but plays so quiet on the stereo it's only just audible. It's only about 1/4 volume of what it is when Spotify is plugged directly into the stereo. I need to turn the stereo amp volume on full and the volume is still quiet, a volume that would blast out and just about wreck the speakers when I switch to another source.

I’ve tried basically everything,
And when I mean everything, I had reset everything in my end, from my
Yamaha receiver to my network, modem, router, everything, I reinstalled
every app, reset my iPad and iPhones, but the problem still persists. Low
dynamics and low volume when casting Spotify thru Google Chromecast Ultra,
let me just also say that we did not change any setting whatsoever in my
system, it was working fine before, then this happened...

Sincerely,
Ben

Just tested it today again... Sept. 22, 2019

4:30 PM (California)

No improvement whatsoever, am using Spotify Connect still, I already gave up with Chromecast Ultra, sad, I love the interface of Spotify when casting to it... 

I’ll keep you guys posted...

Hi, 

I have exactly the same problem. I've compared the volume of Spotify and Tidal with the Chromecast audio and it appears to be almost 6db different. 

Spotify Connect and Airplay 

Both connection works fine,

from my iPad Mini or iPhone to the Yamaha Receiver (Spotify)

but if I stream it to the Chromecast Ultra,

volume is way too low...

Suggested posts