Step 1

NEXT STEP

No way to disable voice saying "resuming playlist"

No way to disable voice saying "resuming playlist"

Plan

Premium

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9

When I'm connected to my car via Bluetooth and I open Spotify, it will interrupt with a voice saying "Resuming [playlist title]" before autoplaying whatever playlist or song was last open.

This voice "feature" is awful and I would like to know if there's a way to disable it. Who decided to implement this? I know what song I'm playing? Why would I need a robot voice telling the name of the music that I put on? Very frustrating.

Thank you

Top Answer
MihailY

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out and taking the time to share your thoughts about this change.

Spotify is regularly testing new features and changes to the UI and what you're currently seeing is one of those tests. It's currently not possible to disable the feature, but rest assured, your feedback from this thread is being forwarded to the relevant team.

Now, regarding the Shuffle feature being disabled after the announcement, note that this is being investigated here, so make sure to provide the requested info to speed up the investigation.

Thank you!

118 Replies

8 years with spotify, but this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. getting extremely tired of clueless UX designers continually making this app worse and worse with features that nobody wants. this fundamentally breaks listening to playlists, albums, and especially queued songs, all 3 of which i frequently use at work. if there's not an option to disable this by june i am switching platforms. 👍

Android here. Aside from the robot voice, this feature also:

1) Turns off shuffle if it was already on, and

2) Skips the track I was listening too if it was added via "Add to Queue".

I just returned from a short trip to the store where I didn't touch my phone at all other than when I got into the car. The song that had just started was completely skipped after "Resuming" picked up, and I couldn't use the Back button to return to it because it had been manually added to the queue.

In general the Spotify mobile experience has greatly degraded since the introduction of Car Mode, but at least Car Mode was just a harmless nag screen. More and more the app seems to be making assumptions on what I want to do when my device is connected to Bluetooth - I don't ever want it to do anything but to pick up exactly where I left off, and to leave my play queue alone while it's at it! I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Spotify to behave like your average MP3 player at a bare minimum. I'm feeling very thankful that I don't listen to podcasts or audiobooks in Spotify because trying to scrub back to where you were every time you get in the car sounds like a living nightmare.

I can't even imagine why this feature was pushed through, or for whom. Please allow us to opt out from whatever this feature  is.

Please disable these voice announcements, been a user for 10 years + and we should at least have the option to turn this off

Spotify devs and staff please remove the Ai voice I don't like it it turns off shuffle and repeat I have been a Spotify premium user for 3+ years please get rid of this feature or atheist let us turn this off its getting really annoying. 

+1. Need an option to disable please

Yeah this is horrible and needs to go

This started happening to me recently as well. I hate it and would like to turn it off. As usual, Spotify changes something nobody asked for and doesn't give a way to go back.

Awful feature, another thing Spotify has ruined.

1. How about I take my premium subscription over to apple music then? I didn't ask to be your guinea pig for some **bleep** intern’s idea of a feature, so I’m sure as **bleep** not paying to do it! Push your stupid idea on the freeloaders and leave premium users alone FFS!

Is there still no way to disable this??

This is just a complete dealbreaker for me. Migrating from Spotify to another app is the absolute last thing in the world I want to do because I have hundreds of playlists, but this ridiculous voice thing is just a non-starter.

Ruins my morning every time I go to work. I was in a great mood today until I got into my car and the stupid voice announced it was “resuming” my playlist, but apparently Spotify’s idea of “resuming” something is turning off shuffle and repeat and starting from a completely different song than the one I was halfway through before. 

Maybe UX designers should pick up a dictionary, and then listen to everyone saying we hate this “feature.” 

If this is meant as an accessibility feature, it really missed the mark because it seems to only happen in car mode. Here’s a clue: if someone is visually impaired enough that they need voiceover to tell them where they’re at, they’re most likely too visually impaired to drive. And their device already has a voiceover accessibility feature - I can imagine it’s extremely frustrating for someone with visual impairments to scroll through a list of songs looking for the one they want just to have Spotify give them the middle finger and start their playlist from a different spot and turn off shuffle. This feature benefits no one. 

This is such an obnoxious change. Switching to Tidal if Spotify keeps interrupting and disabling my shuffle.

I think they might have fixed it now? Today I haven't heard the "Resuming podcast"-voice when I connected to my car this morning. 

Ive had a few false flags so dont get your hopes up just yet.

This needs to be addressed. For example as my current podcast begins in the car I hear

"Now resuming The Bill Simmons Podcast The Joker's Revenge, Brunson runs amok and an NFL over / under check in with Justin Termine and Michael Lombardi." 

Obviously, this is insane. Spotify, please address. 

Don't know who is in charge of Spotify's dev team, but hold back on their bonuses this year. I don't need an AI voice telling me I am resuming something I just pressed play to listen to. Mobile only afaict

Why would they roll this out without making it optional? Also can we get an ETA on when it will be removed? Should be a simple fix.

I'm back to Spotify free version after 7 years of premium because of this, if anyone from Spotify monitors these comments.

Suggested posts