Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

People following Private playlists

Solved!

People following Private playlists

Hey guys, so I have a problem, I don't want people to follow my playlists, I am not linked to Facebook or anything. Yet today I recieved a notification that a person is following my playlist and it's set to private, how do I get rid of the follower? And yes, I checked that the Playlist has always been private, since the creation. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Unfortunately there is no way to remove followers. All I can suggest is to copy and paste all of the tracks into a new secret playlist then remove all tracks from the original one and delete it. 

Not sure how they will have found the playlist, as secret playlists don't appear on your profile or in the search. Maybe via Spotify social on your profile "Added a track to.." etc as they show even for secret playlists I think.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

Unfortunately there is no way to remove followers. All I can suggest is to copy and paste all of the tracks into a new secret playlist then remove all tracks from the original one and delete it. 

Not sure how they will have found the playlist, as secret playlists don't appear on your profile or in the search. Maybe via Spotify social on your profile "Added a track to.." etc as they show even for secret playlists I think.

Peter

Yeah, I found my profile in Spotify, it showed that I have added a song to the secret playlist. This should be fixed. Thanks for your answer.

I also just realized there are followers on some of my private playlists. The reason is, the playlists were public at one point, since that's the default. This is a pretty huge flaw. Any followers obviously need to be removed if a playlist is made private.

That wouldn't be a great experience for people following your playlists though, since in theory your playlists could just "vanish".

Peter

The other people's experience is totally irrelevant! It isn't their playlist it's mine, if they want their own they can make it. I don't subscribe to Spotify and spend my time making playlists for the benefit of random strangers.

If I choose to make my playlist private then it should be private, irrespective of anything else. That's the dictionary definition of private. Perhaps if Spotify implemented a more granular privacy control system rather than this outmoded all or nothing approach then this wouldn't be a problem.

What if we want some people to follow but not all? 

Is there a way to know if they still can see the playlists after being set to private? They shouldn't, should they? x

I know that this is an older thread but for those wondering how a user could have followed a private playlist, here is my experience. If you follow someone on Spotify and they are not taking advantage of the Private Session option, if they are listening to one of their private playlists, it will show up in your activity feed. This means that you can see - and click on! - the playlist that they are listening to, even if it is private. You can then follow the playlist and find it again at any time. You can also save the playlist link at this point and use that to look it up at any time. It does not matter that the playlist is "secret" and it is a huge security flaw.

Suggested posts