Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Feedback

Solved!

Spotify Feedback

Hi Spotify developers (and management),

First off, congrats for developing an awesome concept.  If you hadn't thought about it already, music lovers run out of space for music on their mobile devices, so streaming music over Spotify allows us to keep our "old" handsets longer and still listen to all the music we love.  Kudos!

But I'm worried that Spotify has recently lost its way.  Your customers really don't care that you made a deal with Coca-Cola.  Especially your PAYING customers.  Fix your desktop app issues please ("Failed to enable Spotify social", friends list continually "Loading...").  Continue to improve your iOS and Android apps.  And for god sakes, put out an iPad app ASAP!!!  (as an aside, if you want something to emulate, check out the DirecTV app for iPad -- constantly improving, adding new features like streaming, nice UI)

I will say that allowing mobile streaming & syncing at "Extreme" bandwidth is awesome, but honestly, this is 2012.  You guys need to figure out a way for the app to automatically pick the "best" speed based on real-time network conditions.  For instance, while I'm driving in my neighborhood, Extreme works great, without skipping.  But the second I get to the on-ramp to the freeway (especially around rush hour), I've got to go into the settings and manually drop down to Low Bandwidth, then restart the track, just so that any music comes out.  The Stream & Sync setting should allow the user to cap their bandwith usage in case they have limits to maintain.

You guys started on the right path, but have gotten a little confused about your direction.  Without your fan base, marketing deals mean nothing.  So please, remember to focus on your users?

Thanks again,

chicagogreg

253 Replies

Thanks, this is great news! I have to admit I was maybe too lazy on trying to find if these topics have been already been discussed 🙂

@Nrpp wrote:

Thanks, this is great news! I have to admit I was maybe too lazy on trying to find if these topics have been already been discussed 🙂

No worries, that is what we are here for! 🙂 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I know you want to play adverts at me to make money.

WILL YOU PLEASE STOP PLAYING ADVERTSS AT ME IN BETWEEN THE END OF THE THIRD MOVEMENT OF BEETHOVEN'S FIFTH SYMPHONY AND THE FOURTH MOVEMENT. IF YOU LISTENED TO THEM YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND THAT THEY RUN INTO ONE AND ANOTHER AND THE EFFECT IS RUINED WITH AN ADVERT FOR A NASTY CHEAP KIA

200 years his music has remained loved by many and you RUIN it with our ignorance.

Hi there, how about the possibility to "wish" music that you can't find on Spotify in the console. This way, you can see what users are looking for but do not find and you can show artists / record companies that their music is being demanded on Spotify. I guess you could make it extremely easy by just following up on searches that end up with no result. / Martin

@CitizenKane wrote:

Hi there, how about the possibility to "wish" music that you can't find on Spotify in the console. This way, you can see what users are looking for but do not find and you can show artists / record companies that their music is being demanded on Spotify. I guess you could make it extremely easy by just following up on searches that end up with no result. / Martin

We've got an Idea for this here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Wish-box-for-missing-records/idi-p/173184

I'll say though that when we're lacking an artist, it'll be because we haven't been able to get the licenses from the original rightsholder for it - rather than us not being aware of the demand. We want all the world's music, after all.

However, a 'wish box' might help us show the rightsholders that there's a demand for their music. So feel free to vote the idea up, it's already pretty popular.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Hi,

I'm abit disappointed with the search function in general.

First of all it wasn't possible to search for an artist + song, you had to search for either one of them. But I guess this has been resolved in the latest patch.

And.. do you plan to add the search function (ctrl+f) for the artist pages again? It's quite handy, seems like it has disappeared with the new layout.

Regards,

Andreas

@Slingran wrote:

Hi,

I'm abit disappointed with the search function in general.

First of all it wasn't possible to search for an artist + song, you had to search for either one of them. But I guess this has been resolved in the latest patch.

And.. do you plan to add the search function (ctrl+f) for the artist pages again? It's quite handy, seems like it has disappeared with the new layout.

Regards,

Andreas

Back soon, we hope! http://community.spotify.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/ideaexchange/article-id/17414/

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Richard,

You're right when you say "Back soon, we hope!", after all it took a year to get SD-card functionality back in the Android app when that was removed, and that had many more complaints and kudos behind it than Ctrl-F has. So I predict we could be waiting for some considerable amount of time.

I appreciate that my advertisements are somewhat targeted towards my demographic, but I wish that they were more targeted. 

You guys have my Facebook details. Based on the fact that I'm a young adult, you deliver me advertisements regarding universities. But my Facebook profile clearly states that I'm currently enrolled at a University, and I have zero interest in transferring. I don't believe that this delivery is optimal for me or for the advertiser.

@jinpan wrote:

I appreciate that my advertisements are somewhat targeted towards my demographic, but I wish that they were more targeted. 

You guys have my Facebook details. Based on the fact that I'm a young adult, you deliver me advertisements regarding universities. But my Facebook profile clearly states that I'm currently enrolled at a University, and I have zero interest in transferring. I don't believe that this delivery is optimal for me or for the advertiser.

Richard left an interesting comment on this over on this ideas topic. I think it is down to a lack of advertisements to choose from!

Peter

Peter

Hi Spotify,

Thank you so much for creating this concept and making it a reality. I really enjoy being able to listen to new music and not having the commitment or clutter of CDs. Offline access is a great feature. And being able to completely sample an album and take my favorite songs from it. Even getting special deluxe songs from albums is great too. I wish Spotify had came out sooner! Thanks!

@EmeraldCloud wrote:
Hi Spotify,

Thank you so much for creating this concept and making it a reality. I really enjoy being able to listen to new music and not having the commitment or clutter of CDs. Offline access is a great feature. And being able to completely sample an album and take my favorite songs from it. Even getting special deluxe songs from albums is great too. I wish Spotify had came out sooner! Thanks!

Glad to hear you are enjoying it! 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Ever since the new update, I haven't been able to double click on the album art of the song being played, and that taking me to the album of the track. Can I manage this function and activate it? If not, I would like this feature on the next update.

hey! i have recently paid the fee for spotify premium. Or the money has been drawn from my account but even though my phones spotify works fine i still get the commercials on my computer even after trying to update it. I pay the money for the iphone app mostly, but getting those annoying pauses with commercials after paying is still annoying. Any hints on what i can do get my spotiyt rolling the way it's supposed to?

@dnrchy1 - If you are playing from an artist page, clicking on the artwork should take you to the correct page, but it will not scroll to the correct track/album for you. This is a known issue with the clients since v0.8.8

@martinlilleberg - That is strange, can you double check your subscription is active on your online overview. If it is but its not working on your devices, try a clean reinstallation of the client. 

Peter

Peter

The new activity feed sucks. Sorry guys but I do not want to know that Justin listened to a new playlist? I wanna see what others listen to, at leasts thats better than now.

@ee87 wrote:

The new activity feed sucks. Sorry guys but I do not want to know that Justin listened to a new playlist? I wanna see what others listen to, at leasts thats better than now.

There are a number of ideas over on the Ideas Exchange about the changes to the activity feed which are outlined at the bottom of this summary post about the social changes which you can add your kudos and comments of support to.

Peter

Peter

We don't need "help." This is simply feedback. Yes the new activity feed sucks and it is an insult to our intelligence. Spotify's decision to have us automatically unfollow our friends, stick us with zero followers, empty out our activity feed, and automatically force us to follow artists is an abomination.

But I finally figured out why they did it. It is part of a broader strategy to hold the entire music industry hostage. Spotify does not want us to follow our facebook friends. They made that abundantly clear when they took the liberty of forcing everbody to unfollow everybody. They do however want us to follow artists. Why? So they can justify paying nonexistent royalties to the record labels. They justify these nonexistent royalties by saying to the artist and labels, "hey you have 500,000 followers. Don't complain about the royalties. Spotify is now an essential tool for you to connect with your fans."

Well played, Spotify. You found an ingenious way to trick the record labels into thinking they must put all their music on Spotify, or else forgo all of these tens of thousands of potential followers. But how did these artists obtain so many thousands of followers practically overnight? Simple. Spotify tricked their users into following these artists with the new updates. So why didn't Spotify automatically have us follow our facebook friends, since Spotify is obviously now deciding who we do and do not follow? The answer is simple. Spotify does not want us to follow little people, because the little people will clog up our activity feed and prevent us from seeing what the artists want us to see.

So why the sudden emphasis on following artists instead of friends? It all goes back to royalties, or lack thereof. Instead of paying royalties, Spotify can offer the artists this monopoly money in the form of followers. I wonder how many followers these artists gained overnight when these updates went through. I'll bet some of them went from 10,000 to 100,000 overnight. Nice trick having us automatically follow artists. Now Spotify can just pay artists with these wooden nickels, and tell them, "you can'e even be a successful artist if you don't have your music on spotify, because you would be leaving a potential 100,000 followers on the table." But of course they are bulls___ followers, since Spotify tricked us into following them in the first place.

And here is the kicker: Any new suggestions on who to follow are the most ubiquitous, overexposed celebrities you can imagine. People like Rhianna and Britney Spears and Michelle Obama. We already live in a society where the cult of celebrity is far too dominant, while normal people are given no voice. Spotify has done their best to perpetuate this trend. God forbid you should follow a facebook friend, because they are little people and they don't matter. Spotify prefers to further inflate the already overinflated egos of overexposed celebrities by tricking their users into following these celebrities. Once again, all part of their plan to simultaneously avoid paying royalties and hold the entire music industry hostage with their promise of "followers" - followers who were decieved and tricked into following in the first place.

So no, I don't want to follow Rolling Stone Magazine, the Billboard top 100, Rhianna, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, and Michelle Obama. I want to follow my facebook friends. But Spotify decided on behalf of all of us little people that we should not follow other little people.

i tried re-installing my spotify and i still get the commercials. my phones spotify still works fine, but at home it's still annoying to have to listen to "jonathan from spotify" or that pleasant but interrupting female voice. even though i've paid 10e NOT to hear them every 15 minutes. Please help me solve this. The commercial are not that bad in general, but after spending 10e to have the iphone privileges and to NOT have to hear the commercials. It is getting annoying. After all every time i wait for a song to start because of a commercial voice i am not getting what i pay for.

how much of my activity do you see on your end? Can you see if i've done something wrong trying reset my spotify? or could it be something on your end? i,ve been listenign to enough adds. and as i said it is getting seriously annoying.

Suggested posts