Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Play list eating entire phone memory Windows 8 Phone...

Spotify Play list eating entire phone memory Windows 8 Phone...

Hey folks, can someone tell me what the deal is with the windows spotify phone app? I was really pleased with it on android, had an HTC desire, which could hold my entire play list. But after picking up an HTC 8S I've had to majorly cut down...I just don't understand. My HTC had 512 MB of onboard storage and could hold up an excess of 600 songs, yet after migrating over to windows I can only hold about 200 songs before the onboard memory on the phone fills up

From what I gathered the songs that you have in offline mode, are buffered vorbis files which end up being only a few kilobytes... so how does 200 songs equal about 2Gigs for the windows app... Can some one please shine a light on this! Why is the android app so much lighter and better... 

4 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

200 songs should equal app 600mb-1gb. What quality are you syncing them at? It might be worth turning it down if you can.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

I had the high quality syncing turned off, but even with that it's still eating all my memory. I just can't understand why the Android app has a smaller foot print than the the windows one.

I'll see if I can get some screen shots.

EDIT:  just found out spotify Android was actually storing the music on my SD card, but the windows App doesn't seem to do it. I feel abit stupid now...Why isn't this a feature for the windows app!

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/WP-8-0-Offline-Playlist-Data-on-SD-Card/idi-p/271774

Can this please get some recognition from the devs?

@MilesWarburton wrote:

I had the high quality syncing turned off, but even with that it's still eating all my memory. I just can't understand why the Android app has a smaller foot print than the the windows one.

I'll see if I can get some screen shots.

EDIT:  just found out spotify Android was actually storing the music on my SD card, but the windows App doesn't seem to do it. I feel abit stupid now...Why isn't this a feature for the windows app!

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/WP-8-0-Offline-Playlist-Data-on-SD-Card/idi-p/271774

Can this please get some recognition from the devs?

Hi,

Although the devs don't check the community much (the mods let them know what's going on), I'll see if I can ask someone who is over at Spotify to at least make it a 'good idea' or see how far through the system it is.

Ordinarily I don't do this, but seeing as Android has it, I don't think it can be too hard to chuck it into WP8 as well!

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Hey thanks Anthony! I'm not sure if it's a problem on their end or if Microsoft has disables 3rd party apps from writing to the SD card, but even if they can't do something about it, I'd apreciate it if they can actually inform W8 mobile users that they cannot write app data to the SD card. This is honestly the deal breaker for me, as it's why I'm a spotify premium subscriber, but if I can't access the majority of my play list there's really no point in me having a subscription. As I can just buy a bigger SD card and go back to buying MP3s from Amazon and Play.com

Again thank you for your patience and help, Anthony! 🙂 

Suggested posts