Plan

Premium

Country

Norway

Device

Amazon Echo Home

My Question or Issue

Hi.

I am trying to connect my Spotify account to my Alexa devices and get a info box that "You are not eligible to enable this skill due to geographical restrictions".

r/alexa - Spotify (Skill) not working on Alexa - Geographical restrictions

I have a account on Amazon.com - Country is set to Norway.

Device: Cell phone with Alexa app - Country is set to Norway.

Device Alexa Echo Home - Country is set to Norway.

- I have tried to disable, re-enable the skill.

- I have tried to reset the Echo Home device.

Nothing of these items fix the problem.

Can someone please help me with this??

Thanks for any help.

Screenshot_20210128-122254_Amazon Alexa.jpg
14 Replies

Hey there @Dronnen

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

Would you mind letting us know if you're using a VPN? If so, we'd recommend disabling it as it could cause this type of issue. 

If this doesn't do the trick, you can also try restarting your router to see if you notice anything new. 

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Novy.

I am not using a VPN.

I have tried to restart the broadband and wireless router - still not working.

Br, Joergen.

Hey @Dronnen,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We recommend that you unlink your Spotify account from the Alexa app and then run a clean reinstall of both apps. That way any damaged files that might be causing this issue will get removed. You can find the steps for a clean reinstall of Spotify here.

After that you can restart your devices and link and link the accounts again. By doing this the connection will get built anew from the ground up. This page can help. 

Hope this is useful. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi!

I have the same problem. Delinking does not work, signing out/in again does not work. Reclaiming Amazon Echo does not work. I am not on VPN, I have all my devices in Norway, Alexa is purchased here, I have not lived abroad. I have a paid Spotify family subscription, in Norway. It has never been set otherwise. I have been a paying subscriber for many years.

My Spotify Alexa skill used to work, but I had to change the credentials, and therefore had to delink spotify from Alexa. It then refused to reconnect the Spotify skill due to geographical issues. It has remained in this condition for 2-3 weeks now, it is highly frustrating.

There are heaps of unhappy spotify users with same issue, reviews are bad on Amazon partially due to this issue, and your community support is piling up with this problem. You cannot seriously demand that your customers bounce back between Amazon and Spotify on this one? This is a skill most likely maintained by Spotify programmers on the Amazon skills platform. There is some kind of snag there somewhere. Can one of you Spotify guys figure this out, or reach out to Amazon?

BR,

Anders

Hey @ebders

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Would you mind letting us know if you had to change your Spotify credentials or your Amazon credentials?

Also, could you send over your Amazon device's model and firmware version?

If possible, we'd also recommend logging into the desktop app to remove Alexa from the app's settings and re-link it. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

NovyModerator

Hi!

Thanks for getting back to me, this has taken hours so far.

I have had my Amazon account for at least ten years. I don’t recall when I last updated anything there, but it surely is a while back. No changes in credentials, no recent change in password.

I think my Spotify account is also a good ten years. The Spotify password was changed some months, maybe a year back, but I could be wrong. No user changes. I added my son to the Spotify subscription a couple of weeks ago because I kept getting cut off in my car by him using the Echo Dot at home with my account. This happened as I tried to change the credentials on Alexa in that process.

I have a 3rd gen Echo Dot that I purchased in August. I cannot find "firmware", but I find that the "device software version" in the Alexa app is 4463523972. Device location is "NO" for Norway.

I removed the Echo Dof from my account on alexa.amazon.com, put it in listening mode and reconnected earlier today, still no luck.

BR,

Anders

Hi!

I replied to this one yesterday, but the Spotify community pages produced error messages when I tried to post. I thought it finally got through, but now I can't find the post, so I am reposting.

Anyway, the essence is:
- I have had the same user on Amazon for at least ten years, no recent changes, no recent credential updates.

- I have had the same user on Spotify for around the same period. No recent changes. PW was set some months back.

- Only change in sub is that I added a user for my son so that he can use the dot. I deactivated the skill to be able to reactivate with his credentials. I never got to the point where I could input his credentials though.

- I use the 3rd gen echo dot, device software version 4463523972

I have tried removing the echo dot in the alexa pages and reclaiming it. Reclaims fine, starts the annoying training programme again, but I still cannot connect Spotify.

BR,

@ebders

Hey @ebders

Thanks for getting back in touch and for sending us this info. 

At the moment, it's not really possible to use multiple Spotify accounts on your Amazon speakers but you can work around this by creating an Amazon Household and adding additional accounts. The Amazon devices will then let you switch between user profiles via voice command, so if you associate multiple Amazon accounts with different Spotify ones, you can get the desired effect.

On another note, we suggest that you check if all your devices (Alexa, phone, PC, etc.) and your Spotify account have the same language set. 

If so, we recommend contacting Amazon here for further info.

If you have any questions, just let us know!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

I’m, sorry, but this is no help at all, if anything, it is a step back. We have already checked the basics.

I am not trying to link two accounts. I delinked exactly one with the objective of connecting exactly one account. I never got to the stage where I am to input new credentials, as your geographic block feature prevents me to link anything. So Amazon Household is not in play.

I first triple checked all devices and amazon credentials. I have always used my Norwegian address wherever I can input an address. I have deleted location history and removed the two devices I had (a mac and an iphone), still no luck. I have no non-Norwegian addresses in Amazon.

Finally, the link you provided to Amazon leads to a page that does not exist, I don’t know how to interpret this. However, I have submitted a request to Amazon too. I see from other support that I can expect to be bounced back and forth between Amazon and Spotify for a while.

AmazonLink.jpg

Hey folks,

Thanks for the info.

Looked around in the Community and found that some users are shared solutions things that work for them.

Can you try these steps here shared by @Algarete.

Some other users have also shared workarounds here, can you try those out and see if anything makes a difference 🙂

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have the same problem.

I gave up on**bleep**. But I was told by Amazon.com that I, for no good reason, have a German Alexa and Norwegian spotify. (I live in Norway). So it should work on Amazon.de. They sent a request in that direction, but no answer. I did not buy it in Germany and dont know what to do with this. I was so fed up with this that I did not bother following up. Good luck.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your posts. 

Keep in mind that the Amazon account that is linked to Alexa needs to have the same country settings as both the Echo device and the Spotify account. This will ensure they work together.

In this case, you could try to get in touch with Amazon for instructions on how to switch the device's country settings, if possible. 

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away.

Cheers.

NovyModerator

Totally agree. it is really frustrating that it is not working for users out of the box. Especially when my brother gets a Gen3 Dot version from USA and it works without problems.

Suggested posts