Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify no longer connects to Sonos speakers

Solved!

Spotify no longer connects to Sonos speakers

About two days ago (Aug 8th 2019), Spotify no longer connects to my Sonos speakers.  This has been working up until then.

Logged in to Spotify, I see my Sonos speakers, try to connect and nothing happens.  Using Apple phone, Windows 10 Surface.  Neither work.

Removed the Spotify service on Sonos and re-added.  Restarted both devices, reset the Sonos speakers (unplugged, replugged).  Nothing seems to work. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone 6 and Surface Pro WIndows 10.

Operating System

iOS 12.4, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

56 Replies

Hi @Tobyonecanobi

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and for trying all these troubleshooting steps.

Since it seems that the issue only persists on your account, a possible workaround would be to create a new account and see if that makes the difference. If that's the case you can use the steps here to transfer your music collection.

Additionally, if you're the owner of the Premium Family plan you'll be able to cancel your subscription following these steps and re-subscribe on your new account. Then, you'll be able to invite your family members again. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Solution for me was to makre sure my spotify app device is on same wifi as sonos devices
If you have two or more wifi networks within the same router, let´s say a 2.4GHz and another 5GHz wifi then I got the problem with the spotify app. If all are on the same (in 2.4GHz in my case) all is good. Permanently.

Try:

installing / reinstalling on spotify desktop on a computer on the same network as the speaker.

Then, while you are playing a song on the spotify app on your phone to your phone speakers, try to play a song from the desktop to the sonos speaker.

After doing this it started working on the mobile app.  I think spotify stores devices on the app and reinstalling doesn't re-fetch them, so we force a device re-fetch by updating the "now playing".

Same here!

Hey @slapify 

Sorry to hear about this.

I think there is a current issue at Spotify.

On my end the Web Player and TV apps aren't working at the moment and might be also affecting Connect.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi folks, 

Thank you for posting!

@slapify Please let us know if you've followed the troubleshooting shared on this thread. It has helped other users, it might work for you too.

We'll be on the lookout. 

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Spotify stopped playing on my Sonos speakers today after noon. I connect to speakers, play and nothing can be heard. Volume is turned up and music is playing, but not through speakers. Sonos are updated to latest version and all devices/apps are on same network.

Sonos are playing fine with other apps.

Can someone share their troubleshooting steps in detail so we can try to resolve?

Hi @jennylouie,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.

The team is aware of this issue with third party devices and is working on it. 

We're not able to provide you with a timeframe for a fix, but we can recommend keeping the app updated.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

MafeGModerator

Just ran into this issue today. Unable to see/control any of my Sonos inside Spotify app on a factory Pixel 5.

Hi @ktarson,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.

Please let us know which troubleshooting steps you have tried so far, this way we can avoid repeating them. 

If you haven't tried any, throughout this thread you can find steps shared by other mods and users. Give them a try and let us know how they work for you.

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

I have the same issue. I have a galaxy S10 and a galaxy tab s6 lite both have the same issue, The PC is also unable to connect and that is ethernet connected, the other day it just started reporting the "Can't play right now" on my Sonos devices on the same wifi. I can play Spotify playlists on the Sonos via the Sonos app. Tried removing the account on Sonos, reauthorizing, and reinstalling the app on the phone but it doesn't work. I have a family premium account and the other person linked to the family premium account can connect to Sonos devices via Spotify on their Huawei P20.

following update;

I just tried an experiment and I created another account under the family plan and logged into one of the devices that had the issue and i was able to play to the Sonos devices. Is there any way to fix the original account?

I just tried an experiment and I created another account under the family plan and logged into one of the devices that had the issue and i was able to play to the Sonos devices. Is there any way to fix the original account?

Hi @RhiLeigh,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

Would you mind trying with a different internet connection to check if that makes the difference? 

If the issue persists with a different internet connection, the issue is most likely related to your account. In this case, if you're the owner of a Premium Family plan, you can cancel your subscription following these steps and re-subscribe on the new account again.

Keep in mind if you cancel your subscription, when the Premium time ends, your account and all the sub-accounts will revert to the free service and once you re-subscribe on your new account, you'll have to invite them again. Additionally, it's only possible to change plans once every 12 months, so if any of the sub-accounts has already changed plans during that period, they won't be able to join your new plan in the new account.

If you have any questions, just let us know.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello, I use Spotify combined to Sonos speaker in my home automation system with API calls, in a multiroom selection. Unfortunately since last year Sonos is not supported on the developer side anymore. Sonos speakers have not a unique "ID"  anymore and that's why I cannot call/set speaker output with API, and Sonos speakers disappeared from my devices list if I check from developer console. I have also speaker from other brands and works fine, but Spotify doesn't recognize my Sonos anymore even if I can select them and play from Spotify app. It sucks. I hope that Spotify will start to support Sonos again because are amazing speakers, Alexa compatibles and now also sold at IKEA at affordable prices.

I got the same issues but i got a android phone could you please be so kind to help me

The solutions here did not work for me (I did not try to use a new account).

But this did:

I used Alexa on of my Sonos speakers to tell it to play Spotify. Once it played, the Spotify app showed as connected to the proper speaker. Then I was able to stop playback through the app and start/stop playback through the app on all the other speakers too even though they weren't working before.

My issue was resolved by denying cellular data for the Spotify app on Android. But I want to use Spotify on the go. 

Weird bug!       Spotify please fix this!

Suggested posts