Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Web Player] [Memory] [Chromium] Error: Out of Memory

[Web Player] [Memory] [Chromium] Error: Out of Memory

For a few weeks now, It seems that after some time the spotify webplayer crashes the tab, inducing an error "Out of Memory" and other similar errors. This may not be a spotify issue, however this allows for members of the spotify community to check to see if this issue is resolved, or otherwise indeed a spotify issue.
Top Answer
Ivelina

Hey folks,

Thanks to everyone that's taken the time to post their details in the thread here, it's really helpful!

The teams are aware of what's happening and they're investigating. As soon as we have any updates, we'll make sure to let you know in this thread.

In the meantime, the Community's here if you need help with anything else 🙂

51 Replies

Spotify people - any update on this? It's been a month since it was supposed to be sent to the devs and it's still crashing... 

This has been happening to me too for at least a few months. The spotify tab will slowly increase in memory usage until it crashes with an out of memory error after a dozen songs or so. Consistently. Spotify is the only tab doing this.

This is happening to me too for a while now. I'm using Brave browser and Windows 11. The spotify tab will slowly increase in memory usage until it crashes with an out of memory error after some songs. This is only happening on the Spotify tab.

Forget... Is not a computer issue, is a spotify solution.

They don't want you to play your playlists in loop or on merry-go-round...

They stop it with that message and if you are not there, they spare money in copyrights. You must refresh the page or reopen the browser everytime they do that.

Sometimes their cookies are so strong that you must open another playlist...

Then you can go back to the one you like.

Spotify must be loosing a lot of money with copyright payments, so they try this solution to not paying so much money to the artists and authors... It's a solution to a financial issue.

You as user, free or paying, are just a number... Like the independent artists and authors too, they also found ways to not pay copyrights or streaming to them...

I've been experiencing the same issue for a awhile as well. Pretty disappointing that this has been going on for 3 months now.

Paying for a service that crashes every 5-10 songs is getting pretty ridiculous. 

Seems like there is a deeper problem, it's not just the web player:

spotify_community_memory_leak.png

That one seems like a different issue to me. When the webplayer runs out of memory it explicitly tells you it has run out of memory in the error message. It also could be related to having a couple hundred tabs open in your instance. However both cases could very well be down to poor programming on spotify's end, it's not something I would shrub off too quickly.

To you particularly I'd suggest installing any tab manager addon that supports tab unloading, as a first line measure.

I'm wouldn't rule out the connection between the issues; the spotify web player and this community page were the only two that gave errors like this, both after having the tab open in the background for a while. None of my other thousand tabs had any issues.

That's right!

Thanks for never fixing this Spotify. No wonder your company is shorted to 0$ by 2026.

This is actually a bug from all Chromium based browsers.

I have tested and found the same bug in every popular Chromium based browser [Google Chrome, Brave and Microsoft Edge]

How to solve this [for windows]:

The only way to solve this for now (until chromium is fixed by the developers) is using non-chromium browsers like Firefox. I switched to Firefox just to use Spotify web and it works nicely now as expected. No out of memory errors.

About me:

I'm Hasan, I am a software developer, an active open source contributor, an avid music lover and a long time Spotify user.

Thanks! But I have this issue on Mac Safari… don’t say anything bits tops
work after one hour

If you're app doesn't work in every major browser, that's on you to fix. I'm not switching browsers because a Spotify can't fix their app.

Tidal doesn't have this issue, so I'm using that instead.

I have an account on spotify, why should I change to Tidal?

Who said you had to do anything?

Tidal works, it's easier than switching browsers, and it sounds better, so I'd rather spend my money there.

Recently had to clear cookies/ cache/ browsing history for work and that has made the issue significantly worse. I was able to play music for 2 hours or so before it would crash and now it's crashing every 20 minutes.

C'mon Spotify - get this sorted. I would rather you spend time on fixing this instead of an "AI DJ" that I didn't ask for or want and wouldn't be able to listen to anyway because IT KEEPS CRASHING.

Spotify isn't interested that you play music for hours in loop. They have
to pay royalties and copyrights to artists and authors. So they take your
connection down when is possible, and if you aren't there they have spared
some money. Financial engineering. You can try to go configure your browser
but it seems useless on the ones with Chrome. Try Mozilla. Works much
better with Spotify.

Still keeps crashing... 

@spotify You guys planning on doing anything about this? Bueller? It's been radio silence for over a month now....

I'm very sorry... Spotify don't want that you listen music in loop all day
long... So they disconnect you. There's people that complaint that their
portables just have their power off... yes the power goes down! So there's
no way... I changed browsers and no way. I have a shop and I want to have
ambient music and sometimes it goes down. They don't want to pay copyright
and royalties to artists... So the less time you are "on" the best!
Just refresh the page sometimes and keep on playing your music, it's your
right!
Cheers

Just another issue that will be swept under the rug.....like Spotify playing hidden songs.  

Suggested posts