Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Weird sound in between songs

Weird sound in between songs

The problem is, ever since I changed the genre of music I listen to, and use a different playlist, these weird sounds sometimes play in between songs. It happens on both my devices. One is like a very aggressive glitch sound and the other is like a banging, stomping sound. I have spotify premium and I use spotify everyday on my android phone and macbook. I've been using them both for about a year now. It only happens sometimes, and even if I turn crossfade on, it still plays. I've tried refreshing, reinstalling, relaunching, reopening and all that. Still happens. I haven't seen anything online, or anything close to this problem. The problem is so unique I had to go onto the actual spotify page (I hardly ever come here)

It's getting quite annoying and is quite scary sometimes. If anyone knows anything, please reply. Thank you (。・ω・。)

17 Replies

Hey @_mamebanana46, that sounds odd. 

Do you see any pattern when you get this sound? Any specific music you listen to?

It sounds like it happens seldom, but if you can manage to record the sounds and send it here, that'd be great. 

Keep us posted!

It happens to me,too. I don't think there is a pattern, it's like someone knocking on a door really loud just when the song ends and right before the next song begins. It happens randomly on both my android phone and Windows desktop. It really is scary sometimes! Hope someone finds what is going on 😛

Was this ever solved? I get a weird dissonant sound between every song on an album. I have Spotify Premium. 

I just started experiencing this for the first time on my Linux desktop client. Never happened to me before.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community. We just came across this thread.

To start with, can you let us know which device/devices this occurs on(@moormaan - you don't need to provide your device since you've already provided that information)? 

It would also be great if you can provide us a screen recording or a recording where we can hear the sound so we can see what's going on directly from your end.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I am running the Spotify app in Manjaro Linux. I recorded the sound with my iPhone, but I don't seem to have any editor that will produce an .mp4, which is the only sound file your site will accept. The iPhone produces an .mp4a. I tried to upload an .mp3, but no go. The sound is a very brief dissonant chord, a "plunk." At first I thought it was part of the album I was listening to, but it appears in every album or playlist, between each song. It is very annoying. It makes Spotify impossible to listen to after a while. You end up anticipating the plunk instead of listening to the music.

Thanks.

Hey @guitarsophist,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared.

Just to make sure. Would you mind checking if this sound you mention happens on your iPhone as well, or is it just the Linux device?

Also, since sending an audio recording is not that easy, could you record a short video with your iPhone where we can hear the sound to take a better look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor or you can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

Lastly, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running on the affected device.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I do not experience this on my iPad. Only on the Linux desktop. The app version is 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819. I update Manjaro regularly, so I believe this is the latest version.

Here is a Google Drive link to a video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16iGrSTWgDNK88AWM7vrXFcyHKPr4IPrB/view?usp=sharing

The sound appears whenever I start a track. At the end, you can hear it after the end of a track before it starts on a new one.

Thanks

Hey there,

Thanks for the screen recording.

As Spotify is not officially supported on Linux, we can't help you further in finding the reason for this experience. Looking at the video it looks like this may be related to the Linux distribution like a click and feedback. If you want you could test this out on a different distribution. I have tested it on Ubuntu 22.04 and Fedora 36 and there was no feedback sound there. But as I said, this is only a wild guess as Spotify is not officially supported on Linux.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Dian,

I think you are right, it is distro related. I have another machine at another house that is running Linux Mint and I don't remember having that problem on that machine. Manjaro is a rolling distro, so it is always cutting edge, but things are always breaking and getting fixed, so it is possible that this will eventually be addressed. Most of the people who have problems with sound on Manjaro are using Pipewire, but I am not using that. I am using Alsa. All other audio applications work, however.

I am running Manjaro on this machine because when it was built, the processor was too new for Mint.

Thanks for investigating this.

@all

In Spotify: go to Settings - Display - "Show Desktop Notification when Song Changes"

and turn it off. 

Or: Go to your DE (Desktop Environment, XFCE, Gnome, KDE, what-have-you) Notification Settings and deactivate them for Spotify, but on KDE there may be no option to keep notifications and just mute them on a per-app basis AFAIR. But well, on an audio app, you probably don't need that notification anyway tbh.

You're welcome. No further debugging needed, it's right there.

Explanation: the sounds vary from distro to distro, or rather from DE to DE, bc/ any DE has a separate default desktop notification sound. Some don't have them at all, and some people deactivated notifications altogether. That explains the sporadic nature of this phenomena. 

Best regards.

[edits: grammar and explanation, hit like, if helpful, thx.]

Screenshot_20220923_122549.png

That worked! Thanks so much!

Thank you, this fixes it!!

I was having this issue, too; while reading this, I had the idea to check Manjaro or any KDE environment notification settings. I unchecked this, and the issue went away.

zach2825_0-1669736811105.png

...so you're not only trying to take credit for a solution that has been posted months ago, you're also leaving out that there's a possible in-app solution for these notifications. What a joke.

Suppose you want to be simple-minded. I proposed a solution to the system-specific problem months ago that had no solution. The in-app solution disables song-switching notifications, which I want to see. My answer confirms a problem and resolves the system-specific problem smarter than the accepted solution while keeping the notifications. 

Sorry if that is confusing for you. I'm not trying to take credit for anything. I shared what I did to fix the problem for me that's how forums work. 

That's it!! Odd that I never realized it was this simple, earlier. Thank you sooo much!!

Suggested posts