Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Upset

Solved!

Upset

I'm very upset with the new condom adds I'm getting on spotify... I hated the adds in the first place but this and the non stop glitches are the final straw... there are kids on this program... I will be uninstalling spotify as well as telling all my friends about this... don't come back with: " well if you would buy spotify premium you won't have to listen to the adds" because I'm not waisting a single dime on this program.... I'd rather spend a dollar per song on itunes

246 Replies

If you do not like these condom ads then please come and join us.  We are a group of spotify users who do not like the condom ads. We are trying to raise awareness about these horrible ads that are being advertised to children, who are listening.

If you agree with what I am saying then please join us, we are on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/224664430995134/225875424207368/?notif_t=group_comment

Excuse me, I am going to write something about these condom ads. Do you all mind if I use you all as qoutes?

ariannablove, you can use anything I've said in this thread in any way you want.

Yes please use!

Not that I've contributed much, but go ahead ariannablove. Imo, this should be a dead topic after JoelMay so rightfully listed something in a much better manner than I did: those complaining are complaining about the free-side of a service that they could upgrade to fix such problems related to their complaints. Additionally~ as I've now done homework on, they have illegally misprepresented their age and are being fed adult-related advertising without being an adult. (Those commercials are not advertised to those under the age of 18). What has not been touched on, is that Spotify is officiallly the #1 source of preferred streaming music and radio~ beating out Pandora and other competitors and some just love looking for an excuse to complain. There are options: if you want to listen to adult music~ start acting like a result... (and a company vested in making money hitting it's target audience with proper advertising). I'm a proud Premium member... if you enjoy the service: stop bitching and become the same.

@laurenbw wrote:

I agree! I am a teacher and often can use Spotify for multiple parts of the day, but it is so inappropriate for that ad to come blaring through the speakers in front of kids and really, anyone. Spotify, can you please not have that be an ad? It would be much appreciated!

I am writing something against these condom ads. May I quote you? 

The mandatory condom ads are completely inappropriate. Music is an experience to be shared, as Spotify is acutely aware of. Enable us to share music with children, co-workers, friends, and family without censorship. In the mean time, I will no longer be using Spotify.

Hey I am writing an anti-condom ad speech. May I qoute you?

I have already stated you may quote me. (See above). For all teacher's clinging to their Free Speech as their excuse to gripe about a free service: please review the Spotify Terms of Service you are violating by extending its usage beyond that of Private and Home. Again! The ads you are given are based on your age placement and are not given with the suggestion that its ads or its adult music should be shared with minors.

Can you please remove the 'Oh Mercy' ads that are currently showing on Spotify featuring an almost naked woman on the front cover.

I find this artwork distasteful and offensive, and especially unsuitable for my children/family to be viewing.

Is there a way that I can put on a parental filter or make sure that no adult rated ads are coming up on my Spotify?

CRQ, you are wrong. I changed my age to 15 and I still get the condom ad. It's inappropriate for children. I use this in my home for private use and I should have the option of "paying" via being an audience for advertising. This is how I PAY. I should NOT, however, have to PAY by being offended with explicitly sexualized advertising. That is not right. We already know what our options are. Go peddle your Premium account elsewhere. I will not pay for an account with a company that doesn't respect me or care about me as a potential customer. And you can quote me on that.

Joel May, Sam is lying. [By your logic. I don't believe he is lying, I believe he made a false assumption.] I set my age all the way down to 13 even, and still got the condom ad. Sam is wrong and you are wrong and Spotify is selling sexualized ads to minors. THIS is my beef. Do you think I care if I hear a condom ad? Doesn't bother me in the slightest. My 9 year old hearing it as he's trying to go to sleep to Christian music when I have my age set to a minor? Yes, that bothers me. I shouldn't need to explain to my child why some ad is saying that some like their sex this way or that if I don't feel it is yet appropriate information for him. TMI Spotify!!

forget it.

Hey, I have a question for everyone. Is anyone under the age of 18 still getting condom ads? I know that Rubay is, but anyone who says they're under 18 on Spotify, are you still getting condom ads? I'm under 18 and I haven't heard them.

Hello.

May I remind you all to keep the conversation somewhat pertinent and civil. Otherwise, we'll have to lock this thread as it seems to be drifting somewhat off topic. The amount of abuse reports we have received as a result of this is far more than we'd like.

@laurenbw wrote:

I agree! I am a teacher and often can use Spotify for multiple parts of the day, but it is so inappropriate for that ad to come blaring through the speakers in front of kids and really, anyone. Spotify, can you please not have that be an ad? It would be much appreciated!

May I gently point out here that Spotify is only licensed for personal, non-commercial use

Airhorn Enthusiast

KellyMonster, I doubt your parents explained to you from a young age how to speed up or slow down each other's O's with special condoms. Because that is what we'd be explaining from this ad. Those are the answers to the questions that arise from this ad, if your child is already informed, intelligent and curious--not the attraction between a man and a woman. But thanks for  the assumptions and insults. This ad brings explicit elements of technique into the conversation that I don't feel are yet appropriate for my child to entertain and Spotify should respect that this is a legitimate problem for many people.

Honestly, I haven't been listening to Spotify for a while so I don't know if they've fixed the age targeting for non-premium users. I just know that when I changed my age, we still got the ad and that their personal response to me was simply that the ad would be played less often, which it was not. If Spotify has rectified the situation, they should say so and should post their official ad targeting policy/strategy.

@David wrote:

Hello.

May I remind you all to keep the conversation somewhat pertinent and civil. Otherwise, we'll have to lock this thread as it seems to be drifting somewhat off topic. The amount of abuse reports we have received as a result of this is far more than we'd like.

@laurenbw wrote:

May I gently point out here that Spotify is only licensed for personal, non-commercial use

May I remind you to keep ads somewhat pertinent and civil.

Hi David, so far it seems that this thread has been civil and highly pertinent and on-topic.  We are genuinely disgusted by these ads, and some of us feel their legality is shaky.  It does begin to feel that Spotify is promoting sexually explicit ads to very young people.  Please just stop the ads and please don't lock this thread.  If Spotify doesn't like what we're saying, they know how to fix it and make us all be quiet - drop the sexual ads.  Or give us a way to block ads we don't ever want to hear.  Simple.

I read another time David's post.

Off-topic? Are you kidding? This topic is created by upset, frustrated users about sex and condom ads, so let me know where you see offtopic? If you mean by Offtopic discussion about your sex and condom ads, get a time right now to remove those "Offtopic" ads from your crappy Spotify ad system... What a unprofessional answer from mod.

Offtopic... Offtopic in your... I'm sorry, but you should really fix this problem.

And if you lock this thread, we just add Upset 2 topic and after that we go to discuss with Social Media and let's see what's happen then!

Everyone calm down. I think the ads are not right, but we need to keep ourselves under control. And we do need to keep this thread civil otherwise Spotify has every right to shut down this thread. So calm down.

Suggested posts