Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I become a Spotify Beta tester?

Jack

Hey folks!

We are excited to announce we are launching both an Alpha and a Beta program for the Spotify mobile apps 🎉🎉

Please read below for more information on how to get started. We appreciate your help in making the Spotify app the best it can be!

What are the Spotify Alpha and Beta programs?

Spoiler

By signing up as an Alpha or Beta tester of the Spotify app, you will get early versions of our new releases before we roll them out to everyone else. This is an invaluable help for us, as it allows us to find issues and crashes before we ship the release to millions of users.

The Alpha users will get new versions of the app almost daily, as soon as developers add new changes. These are early versions of the app, and there may be stability issues from time to time. The Alpha users help us find these issues as soon as they are introduced and allow us to fix them as soon as possible.

The Beta users will get new versions around a week before we roll them out to end users. The release will be almost done, but the feedback we get from Beta users makes sure we can find and fix any final issues.

Will Alpha and Beta users get access to new features?

Spoiler
We want to be very open here: in most cases, there will not be any new features in the Alpha and Beta builds. In some rare cases, we may try our new features in these programs, but most of the time new features are rolled out gradually to all users. The main reason to join the Alpha and Beta program is to help us create the best product we can.

Should I do anything special to test the app?

Spoiler

No, just use the app as you usually would and report any issues you find.

Note that we have a limited number of Alpha and Beta users on iOS. From time to time we will remove inactive users in order to free up test slots for new users.

iOS 

How do I sign up?

Spoiler

To sign up for the Alpha or Beta program, just click on one of the links below, using the phone you want to install the Alpha or Beta version on.

NOTE: There is a limit to the number of Alpha and Beta users we can have at any time on iOS. From time to time we will remove inactive users, so if the program is full now, you can try again later.

iOS Alpha Sign up & iOS Beta Sign up

These links will let you download the TestFlight app.
From this app, you can then download new versions, send issue reports, etc.

FAQs

Spoiler

I'm already a Beta tester, can I still sign up to be an Alpha tester?

Yes, just click the link above

How do I stop being an Alpha or Beta tester?

In the TestFlight app, simply select Spotify Music and click "Stop Testing". This will immediately remove you from the Alpha and Beta program.

How do I stop getting emails whenever there is a new build?

By default, TestFlight will send a mail when there is a new version of the app to test. If you don't want these emails, open TestFlight, select Spotify Music and go to "Notifications". Here you can select if you want notifications for new versions via email, mobile notifications, or no notifications at all.

How do I report issues?

In TestFlight, there is a link to "Send Beta Feedback". If you click it, you will be able to send an email where you can describe the issue. In the "What to Test" section, you will also see the email address for reporting issues.

We will not reply to individual issue reports, but all issues get forwarded to the right team, and we do our best to fix them. Of course, the more details you can provide, the higher the chance that we can reproduce and fix your issue. In some cases, we may reply and ask for additional information.

We will also be shutting down the Community Beta Board for iOS.

The latest version is having issues, how do I get a stable one?

In some cases, you may run into issues with the latest versions. If you do, please let us know what the problem is by reporting an issue. Of course, you still want to use Spotify. To do this, you can install an earlier version of Spotify. In TestFlight, select Spotify Music, then click "Previous Builds". Here you can select and install an earlier version of Spotify. Hopefully, that works for you.

Android 

How do I sign up?

Spoiler

1. In order to sign up to the Android Alpha or Beta program, first join the Alpha or Beta Google group and then accept the test invite:

Android Alpha Google Group & Android Beta Google Group

Vasil_0-1694877777802.png

2. Go to the Android App Testing page and click “Become a Tester”.

Vasil_2-1694877417287.png

3. Go to the Play Store, and download or update the Spotify Music app. You will get the latest Alpha or Beta version of the app.

Note that It may take a while before you get an updated version.

Tip: In order to stay on the latest version at all times, the best option is to enable automatic updates of the app 🙌🏼

FAQs

Spoiler

I'm already a Beta tester, can I still sign up to be an Alpha tester?

Yes, just join the Alpha Google Group. Again, note that it may take a while before you get the updated version.

How do I stop being an Alpha or Beta tester?

Go to the same link as when you accepted becoming a tester.

Now, select “Leave Program”, instead.

Then, uninstall the Alpha or Beta version of the app and reinstall the app from the app store.

As with joining, it may take a while for the changes to be reflected in the app store.

How do I report an issue?

In the Alpha and Beta Google Groups, there is a pinned welcome message at the very top. This message includes instructions on how to report issue.

We'll also be shutting down the Community Beta Board for Android.

The latest version is having issues, how do I get a stable one?

In some cases, you may run into issues with the early access version. If you do, please let us know what the problem is by reporting a issue.

There is no way to temporarily install another version of the app, so if the app is not usable to you, it is possible to temporarily leave the Alpha or Beta program.

Of course, we will do all we can to fix any critical issues as soon as possible.

Need more help? 
Search for more Spotify FAQs, or create a new thread and ask the Community!