Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Get all editorial playlists from Spotify through the API

Get all editorial playlists from Spotify through the API

I am working on a web application fro which I need to have a list of all the editorial playlists of Spotify. I could successfully grab editorial playlists using "spotify" as user ID, but even using an offset, I am not able to get more that 1377 playlists. I know there have to be more playlists because there are several editorial playlists (spanish editorial playlists) that are not under the 1377 I am able to get access to.

Does anyone know how I could get access to the complete list of playlists through the Spotify API?

Thanks a lot in advance!

13 Replies

Hey AlexDaschner,

To find playlists by Spotify, you can use these Category endpoints:

For both endpoints  you need a list of ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes of the countries that have Spotify. Sadly I don't have that list for you, but I hope I helped you a little further along the way.

Cheers,

Hey Ximzend 🙂

Thanks a lot for your answer! Could you please explain a little bit more in detail what you mean? I am not understanding what I have to do to get the editorial playlists with those endpoints.

Thanks a lot!

Hey Ximzend 🙂

Thanks a lot for your answer. Could you please explain a little bit more in detail what you mean? I am not understanding what I have to do to get the editorial playlists with those endpoints.

Thanks a lot

I wrote code to get all playlists from all categories from a specific country.

Of which country do you want all playlists and in which language should the playlist names be.

I'll post a spreadsheet in a new comment after you've replied.

Note: I only got 844 playlists for the Netherlands this way.

Edit: that was caused by a bug. Now I got 1888 for the Netherlands.

Hey 🙂

Spain and spanish would be great!

Thanks a lot again

Here is a CSV file of 1953 editorial playlists I could find for Spain.

Sadly, I couldn't set a language for the playlist names, so most of them are in English.

Note: Mush playlists could be personalized by a computer algorithm, so are not actually made by an editor.

Edit: there was a bug in my code and is now fixed. I added the new file to this comment.

Edit: deleted the file because off no thank you or kudo

I checked the list from the Netherlands with the app, and I noticed that I'm missing a lot of playlists…

Edit: There was a bug in my code, so I got only 800 before I fixed it 😅. (See my other comment for the file)

May I ask for all playlists for Poland, and Russia?

Here are the playlists for Poland. For Russia, it's impossible, because that country hasn't access to Spotify anymore.

Hey Ximzend, Would you be able to share the playlists for America?

Edit: request withdrawn because of no response or kudo

You can do it yourself in your favorite programming language:

1.  Get all the IDs of the categories using the Get Several Browse Categories endpoint endpoint. (First one request with an offset of 0 and a limit of 50. Then one with a offset of 50 to get all 50.)
  2. Use the category IDs to with a loop to get all the playlists using the Get Category's Playlists endpoint. (First one request with an offset of 0 and a limit of 50. Then add 50 to the offset until the total from the response is met.)

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Suggested posts