Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Cast devices in device list queries

Google Cast devices in device list queries

Any chance to have the Google Cast devices as well in the response of the

https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/guides/using-connect-web-api/#viewing-device-lis...

API queries?

Currently only Spotify Connect devices enumerated it seems 😞

TIA!

5 Replies

Hey @HofiOne, thanks for reaching out!

Great question! - Google Cast devices use a different type of protocol, which requires the device to be detected from the local network. It's not possible to start playback from outside the network the Google Cast device is in due to these limitations. That's why, they're not able to show up on the Connect Web API.

You should be able to start a session from a local device and control playback via the Spotify Connect API, after your actively playing something on the Google Cast device. Let me know if that works!

Have a great day,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Hubo, thanks for the reply!

The protocol difference was my guess too, but it is still not explaining for me the reason why it could not be possible 😉

Local devices could be reported back just like the presence/availability of the local Spotify Connect clients .

Apart from that, could you please explain a bit more the method you are referring to?

I cannot really see how can i get the google cast devices list and switch between them from a client app.

TIA!

Hofi

Hey @HofiOne,

Got it! It's currently not possible for Spotify apps to report the local devices back to Spotify. The Google Cast devices can only be detected by the local devices. The Google Cast devices aren't connected to a specific account unlike the Spotify Connect devices. I'm afraid I don't have any more information to share about this.

You should be able to control an ongoing Google Cast 'session' with the Web API. After you connect to a Google Cast device on one of your Spotify devices. You can use the API to control playback. Let me know if that works!

Have a great day,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star

Actually that is not what i want to achieve unfortunately 😉

I can control the playback of the actively played track on several ways now, also i'm able to discover all the available Google Cast devices, I can see, identify the  Spotify 'session' on a given Google Cast device, query the status of it, etc.

What i want is to switch between the devices, actually to any device without first selecting the device from the Spotify app.

I guess it is not possible as for that i would need a newly opened (or captured and "redirected")  session that can be established only by the Spotify client app.

That is why i'm looking for a solution (e.g. in the API) via i can "redirect" the playback to a given cast device.

Hey @HofiOne,

I understand. I'm afraid this isn't possible right now. If this is something you'd like to see, you'd might like to create a new idea on the Ideas board. That's the best way to get your feedback to Spotify. Feel free to give me a shout, if you have any questions!

Have a great day,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star

Suggested posts