Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to avoid getting Error 429

How to avoid getting Error 429

I'm writing a app to provide auto-scrolling lyrics for Spotify. For the best experience, I have to use https://api.spotify.com/v1/me/player/currently-playing to get progress_ms to know the precision position every 2 seconds (if the user made any changes to the process, it can sync the lyrics immediately. But this can make a huge number of requests. And I have got Error 429 today. I think I have to do something about it so the user can have a much better experience then.

Hope you guys can help me out! Thank you!

2 Replies

Hey @WXRIW, thanks for posting on the Spotify for Developers board!

Rate limiting is applied as per application based on Client ID, and regardless of the number of users who use the application simultaneously. Right now, there's no information to share about the specific amount of requests you can do. 

To reduce the amount of requests, use endpoints that fetch multiple entities in one request. For example: If you often request single tracks, albums, or artists, use endpoints such as Get Several Tracks, Get Several Albums or Get Several Artists, instead. Let me know if you have any questions!

Have a great day and happy coding!

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you for your reply, but I can't figure out a way to reduce requests. For the best experience, it have to check the progress_ms to make sure the time is currect.

Suggested posts