Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to modify the spotify application?

Solved!

How to modify the spotify application?

Hello.

How is it possible to modify the spotify android application?

I want to open the source code, apply changes, them compile it back into a standard android apk.

If that is not possible, than tell me what is possible? Maybe create some addon or plugin to fix this**bleep**? It is a small problem, which manages to render the whole application useless and completely ruin the user experience...

The problem is that spotify has a bug with a "repeat song" button (it always switches off by itself). And I want to fix it, so that it worked properly for my application, on my phone. It should be an easy fix using just a few lines of code.

P. S.

I did write both, to the support group and on this forum, about this bug, but the reply was, that this bug is intentional, no one wants to fix it.

And that is, even though this subject was intensely discussed, many years ago on this forum. And every one was supporting this idea. Sadly the administration shitted on the user experience of their clients and did not change anything.

So I have cancelled the premium subscription and stopped using spotify (as it is not possible to use it properly with this bug).

But, in other aspects, spotify actually does a great job, so I started to think that there could be some work-arounds to that.

So is there any work-arounds or would it be better to just forget about spotify and listen to music somewhere else?

Plan

Cancelled Premium

Country

Russia

Device

Xiaomi Note 7

Operating System

Android

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @LiveAgain777, thanks for your questions!

The User Guidelines apply to everyone.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the Ideas board. Spotify implemented many ideas based on feedback from the Spotify Community; you can read the Ideas Review every season on the Spotify Community Blog to see these great ideas! 🙂

You can use the Web Playback SDK to develop your own app. Check out developer.spotify.com for more information about that!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Have a great day!

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi @LiveAgain777, help's here!

I understand your frustration. There is some more information about modifying the Spotify app yourself in the User Guidelines here. If you'd like to make changes to the app, the best way to get your feedback to the right folks is to share this on the Idea Submissions board. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to give me a shout!

Have a great day,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star

Thank you for your reply.

As I have understood from this user guidelines - it is forbidden to recompile and modify the application. Does it also apply to the premium users? Because there is no intention of getting something for free and as I have mentioned, I don't have a problem with paying for the premium account, it is just that it's functionality is uncomfortable.

The second solution, that you have suggested, is creating a new idea for the Spotify team.

But that would most likely fail, as we can see from the user experience of the past few years.

But another thing, that I have seen on the internet that there is a Spotify API and development environment.

How come people develop something and not break the user guidelines?

Is it possible to create an add-on or plug-in through this development environment?

Or is it possible to develop a front-end client application for Spotify which would fetch the results via official API and then play this music? In this case the premium plan will also be required and Spotify will still remain the music provider...

So it seems that no new answer will appear, thus I suppose that this topic maybe closed.

Marked as solution

Hey @LiveAgain777, thanks for your questions!

The User Guidelines apply to everyone.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the Ideas board. Spotify implemented many ideas based on feedback from the Spotify Community; you can read the Ideas Review every season on the Spotify Community Blog to see these great ideas! 🙂

You can use the Web Playback SDK to develop your own app. Check out developer.spotify.com for more information about that!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Have a great day!

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star

Thank you for your advice, I will look deeper into this SDK.

I dont recommend "reverse-engineering, decompiling, disassembling, modifying, or creating derivative works, except where such restriction is expressly prohibited by applicable law." as it is possible to do on windows by unzipping xpui.spa files

Suggested posts