Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to request several scopes for a token to Spotify API

Solved!

How to request several scopes for a token to Spotify API

I need to "authorize" the bearer token to delete some tracks from a list (from my personal Spotify account) I'm following this flow I first make a POST request to https://accounts.spotify.com/api/token using `"Authorization: Basic ZjM4ZjAw...WY0MzE="` header and with the desired scope in the body and then another POST request to the actual endpoint with
`f"Authorization: Bearer {response_dict['access_token']}"` header. Getting these two tokens seems to work without a problem.

I have checked similar question in StackOverflow, but they either not address my problem specifically or they don't have an answer at all

this is my actual python code:

cred = f"{environ['SPOTIPY_CLIENT_ID']}:{environ['SPOTIPY_CLIENT_SECRET']}"
cred = cred.encode("ascii")
cred = base64.b64encode(cred)
cred = cred.decode("ascii")

headers = {"Authorization": f"Basic {cred}"}
data = {
    "grant_type": "client_credentials",
    "scope": "playlist-modify-private user-library-read",
}
url = "https://accounts.spotify.com/api/token"
response = requests.post(url, headers=headers, data=data)
if response.status_code != 200:
    raise Exception(response.reason)
    session = requests.Session()
    response_dict = response.json()
    session.headers.update({
        "Content-Type": "application/json",
        "Authorization": f"Bearer {response_dict['access_token']}",
    })

then I got the scope in the first response as a "confirmation that they granted" (at least that's my interpretation of seeing the same scope that I request in their response)

**HOWEVER**: when I attempt to delete some tracks I get a 403 error, forbidden to do so 😞 When I use the token from their site everything works as expected... any idea what could it be or what am I missing????

thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @jpmolinamatute, thanks for reaching out on the Spotify Community!

Hmm, the documentation about the client-credentials authorization flow says the following: "However that this flow does not include authorization and therefore cannot be used to access or to manage a user private data". This means that you can't use that endpoint with the authorization flow that you're using.

Could you try it with another authorization flow? That should help. Keep me in loop!

Happy coding,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @jpmolinamatute, thanks for reaching out on the Spotify Community!

Hmm, the documentation about the client-credentials authorization flow says the following: "However that this flow does not include authorization and therefore cannot be used to access or to manage a user private data". This means that you can't use that endpoint with the authorization flow that you're using.

Could you try it with another authorization flow? That should help. Keep me in loop!

Happy coding,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts