IOS Binary with Spotify SDK rejected from App Store

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPhones

My Question or Issue

I developed a mobile application that uses the Spotify SDK. Specifically, the app has access to Spotify's discovery service and it can also control the playback on a device that has Spotify playing (only for Spotify Premium members).

I have followed all of the guidelines outlined in Spotify's documents and terms of service and provided this document to Apple when I submitted my app for verification. I stated that as long as I follow these guidelines, Spotify allows me to control playback as well as utilize their discovery service, however, Apple keeps rejecting my app, stating that I need permission from Spotify.

My application is free and only requires a valid Spotify account for authentication.

I've noticed that other Spotify apps that are also free have been published on the App Store, so I was wondering how I would go about getting explicit permission from Spotify.

I noticed that there is a form request for apps that have commercial integration, but as I stated, this app is completely free.

I have provided the statement from Apple below. If any other information is needed, please let me know.

Thank You,

Guideline 5.2.3 - Legal

Your app contains content or features that may violate the rights of one or more third parties. Specifically, your app provides potentially unauthorized access to third-party audio or video streaming, catalogs, and discovery services.

Specifically, terms of services of Spotify is insufficient for our documentation process.

Your app and its contents should not infringe upon the rights of another party. In the event your app infringes another party’s rights, you are responsible for any liability to Apple because of a claim.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please attach documentary evidence in the App Review Information section in App Store Connect evidencing that you have all necessary rights or permissions to the third-party audio or video streaming, catalogs, and discovery services in your app.

In accordance with section 3.2(f) of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement, you acknowledge that submitting falsified or fraudulent documentation can result in the termination of your Apple Developer Program account and the removal of your apps from the App Store. Once Legal has reviewed your documentation and confirms its validity, we will proceed with the review of your app.

1 Reply

Were you able to resolve this? I'm facing a similar issue.

Suggested posts