Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unity

Unity

My goal to setup a play an Audio Stream from Spotify into the Unity Game Engine platform.   Unity has an AudioSource that usually likes url based audio files .wav,.mp3,.. but I don't how to feed Spotify End Point data info into the Audiosource.

Its a free account.

End Points work. Oauth is setup correct.

Catagories, Playlists, Tracks data in json format works fine.

I was hoping that somewhere in the Track data  - I could could grab a URL and feed it into the AudioSource.   Maybe it is not that simple.

Herb Rush

16 Replies

Hi!

Our playback API doesn't provide the audio file to the enduser, so not sure if doing what you want to do would be possible.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was hoping for a URL like 

http://www.spotify.com/....../greatsong.mp4

or .wav.   This is easiest possible case for me. 

If that is not how it works can you tell me how it does work. For Example

1) Get Information from Track JSON Object. or where ever

2) do ......

3) Set up the stream

I would guess this is a fairly common question because Spotify is all about music and  any one building on the spotify platform would want to stream  some music (is my guess).

Thanks for your Help.  I am fairly experienced with Unity but new to spotify so the question might come out a bit awkward. Sorry.

one quick question is the music delivered in mp4,wav,.... formats or is it something you unique to spotify???

Herb Rush

Hi,

I really don't need much detail.  Just a link describing how to track information to setup a stream of music with spotify.  Just a rough description would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Herb Rush

This is a good start documentation for using our playback api https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-playback-sdk/quick-start/

Thanks for the reply.  I am not really interested in Spotify Connect or Browsers.

I am interested in using the End Points to interact with the Spotify Music System directly.  So Far I can traverse Catagories, Playlist & Tracks.   I can even take the Audio Preview Field in the Track Object (see attached) and play the preview music within Unity.    I would like to play the entire song but I do not see a String URL that provides me with that sort of access.   It must be there somewhere.

Herb Rush

preview.PNG

I am a bit surprised with the lack of a response to the question of "how to setup a stream using the endpoints?".

It would seem to me that any 3rd party application would want to be able to stream stuff from Spotify.

Some of the answers that I was sort of expecting.

1) It cannot be done. 

2) We will tell you but you need to sign this agreement.

3) We use proprietary streaming technology to setup streaming.

4) Here is a document and an example to setup a stream to spotify.

But I have not heard anything to help me setup a stream with spotify using the end points.   I have the Preview_Url streaming but it is only 30 seconds.

Thanks

Herb Rush

I have integrated Unity with the Spotify End Points and I am now in the process of building an application (in Unity). How do I obtain a commercial license from Spotify? How long does the process of getting a commerical license take? Thanks

Hey @herbert_rush, sorry for the late reply here!

Let's get this cleared up! Right now, it's not possible to get a direct stream/link to music on Spotify. Music on Spotify is encoded in such a way that the audio files cannot be downloaded/streamed/ripped to protect the right holders.

The only way to stream a track is through the Web Playback API which @_milena mentioned in her reply (or you can use the 30s previews).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Have a great day,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey @herbert_rush, thanks for posting your question here!

You can apply for a commercial license when creating your application on the Spotify for Developers Dashboard (Developers > Dashboard > Login > Create An App). There's a link to a form which you need to fill out and then the right folks will take a look! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a great day,

Hubo

HuboSpotify Star

Hi!
I have two apps that have been there some time - herbsoft and showtunes.   ShowTunes I am using from a Unity system butI don't see the form you suggesting.   I looked under edit settings but I did not see it.  Maybe under a different title.  I was looking for acommerical license link.
Sorry, It is probably right there but just did not see it.

Hey! You can find the form when you click: “Create An App” on the Dashboard itself. No worries, you don’t have to create a new app, it’s where the link to the form can be found! 🙂 Let me know if you can find it!

Take care,
Hubo
HuboSpotify Star

I think, I have it thanks.
Apply to build a commercial app or a hardware device

|
|
|
| | |

|

|
|
| |
Apply to build a commercial app or a hardware device

Before you build or release a project that is 'commercial' or a 'hardware device' our license holders need Spoti...
|

|

|

Can you explain step by step how you did this?

Hi Herb, I'm planning to do the same thing, would you be willing to share how you managed to get playback directly within Unity?
Thanks, Harry

Hi Hubo,

We need your help with a serious problem.  We have been a Spotify Developer for quite some time.

We build Voice Controls and Assistants in Unity.  Some one on the Forum pointed out that there were restricts on building/using voice controls.  We signed up before there was any Voice Control restrictions.

So we have brought this development to a halt immediately until we can clear this up.  No sense in investing in an app that we won’t be able to use.

Here is a preview version of the incomplete app.

"""_ https://player.vimeo.com/progressive_redirect/playback/779627361/rendition/1080p/file.mp4?loc=extern...

This is 30 second preview audio app.

Our Questions.  You might not be able to answer but maybe you could forward and/or connect us to someone who can.

1) This is sort of a Unique situation.  Could we get some sort of exemption for Unity for the Voice Control Restrictions??

We would be happy to work with Spotify using Voice Controls from Dialogflow (Google).  

2) Could we use the App as a demo?  Not go into production. In this case, we would show it to people but not ever release to the public.  Helps show case our talents.

3) Could we make a video using the App? Not ever show it to anyone in person or release it but have it appear in an video that might show up on YouTube or Vimeo.

We are prepared to walk away from the app if we cannot find a resolution.

Thanks for your help and insight.

Herbert Rush

DFAssistants.com

Hi Hubo,

We need your help with a serious problem.  We have been a Spotify Developer for quite some time.

We build Voice Controls and Assistants in Unity.  Some one on the Forum pointed out that there were restricts on building/using voice controls.  We signed up before there was any Voice Control restrictions.

So we have brought this development to a halt immediately until we can clear this up.  No sense in investing in an app that we won’t be able to use.

Here is a link to a page with the link.  

"dfassistants.com/index.php/spotify-problem"

This is 30 second preview audio app.

Our Questions.  You might not be able to answer but maybe you could forward and/or connect us to someone who can.

1) This is sort of a Unique situation.  Could we get some sort of exemption for Unity for the Voice Control Restrictions??

We would be happy to work with Spotify using Voice Controls from Dialogflow (Google).  

2) Could we use the App as a demo?  Not go into production. In this case, we would show it to people but not ever release to the public.  Helps show case our talents.

3) Could we make a video using the App? Not ever show it to anyone in person or release it but have it appear in an video that might show up on YouTube or Vimeo.

We are prepared to walk away from the app if we cannot find a resolution.

Thanks for your help and insight.  Any help at this point would be appreciated.

Herbert Rush

DFAssistants.com

Founder and CMO

Suggested posts