Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume control no longer working in Web Playback SDK

Volume control no longer working in Web Playback SDK

This was working until very recently (within the last day or 2). Now, any time I try to set the volume of the web player using this endpoint, it returns a 403 with the following body:

{
"error" : {
"status" : 403,
"message" : "Player command failed: Cannot control device volume",
"reason" : "VOLUME_CONTROL_DISALLOW"
}
}

I've tested with a few different apps that I know all use the Web SDK, and all of them have the same behavior. Is this a bug or intentional? If intentional, is there some alternative way I should be controlling the volume? This is a very basic feature of an audio player so I hope this can be resolved quickly.

7 Replies

On which device was the music playing? Maybe that has something to do with not being able to control the volume.

Music was playing on the web player at the time. Changing the volume with the setVolume method on the player still works, just not via the API.

Bump.
Any updates/fixes? 

comment is removed

Have the same issue.

The Documentation of Web Playback SDK still references 

Spotify.Player#setVolume

DescriptionSet the local volume for the Web Playback SDK.

is this outdated information then?

The sdk players do indeed provide a method to change volume:

playerInstance.setVolume(0.5)
I have just confirmed that this works, but the API call method indeed returns a 403, regardless of user scope including user-modify-playback-state. It would be nice to get that working again as well, as other commands (pause/resume/seek/etc) still work with that method and it's nice to have the alternative.

Volume is BACK GUYS

Suggested posts