Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Boost Mobile and Spotify Premium problem

Boost Mobile and Spotify Premium problem

Phone: LG Stylo, Android 6.0

Spotify version:  8.4.84.874

Boost Mobile has free unlimited streaming of Spotify using any of their plans. I've have been using Spotify Free for a long time and it's great. I finally got tired of ads and switched to Spotify Premium. In 5 days flat, Spotify used almost all of my mobile data (5GB).  Spotify Support and Boost Support assured me this should not be happening.  "Download over cellular" has always been turned off. The only change I made when I switched from Free to Premium was moving the streaming quality from 'automatic' to 'high'.  Boost says quality up to 500Kbps is allowed.

Since neither Boost nor Spotify will admit there is a problem, my only option is to revert back to Spotify Free. I'd rather listen to ads than lose all my data again. 

Any ideas why Spotify Premium data is being coded differently with Boost Mobile free unlimited streaming? 

3 Replies

Hey @SScorncob.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Streaming using Spotify will always use either data over your carrier or WiFi connection. Up to 320 Kbp/s if you have chosen the highest quality.

Any charges that may (or may not) be done by your telecom provider, will need to be discussed with them as this is out of our reach.

Hope this answers your question. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

@Guido,

Thanks for the reply! In my discussion with the carrier they concluded: "Your service plan is working correctly as expected and your Spotify usage is not being deducted from your plan's high-speed data allotment." However, they said Spotify background data was eating up my data - such as the videos included on playlists like the Beatles 50th anniversary White Album.

It's a shame to lose $40 worth of data because of videos, when all I want to do is listen to music. If you know how to disable video content but still have high quality music, let me know.

-SS Corncob

Hey @SScorncob,

Thanks for getting back to us.

It's currently not possible to disable video content on Spotify. However, there is an existing idea in the Community which you can vote for here

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.

Suggested posts