Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't apply this Premium code to your account

Solved!

Can't apply this Premium code to your account

This is a new one for me. For years, I have purchased a 12-month gift card from Sam's Club and used it to re-up my Spotify account. Spotify says my next bill will be on 7/8, so that is when my current gift card is exhausted. When I first tried to apply this gift card, Spotify told me no because it will not allow me to have more than 18 months of prepaid service. Now it tells me no for this reason, and I do not know what to do:

"You can't apply this Premium code to your account. This is likely because you have an existing Premium subscription that cannot be combined with a Premium code."

My gift card will expire 7/24. Has Spotify changed redemption rules to make it worthless?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @HappyHubby,

Thanks for reaching out.

Please check if you have a payment method linked to your plan here. If you see the option to cancel there, feel free to do that as you won't lose any of your remaining Premium time. Once canceled, you can try redeeming the code again. 🙂

If the issue persists, I would suggest waiting another month before trying to redeem the Gift Card since there's a possibility that you're close to the 18-month restriction.

Let me know how it goes!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey @Lttlfriend,

Thanks for letting me know.

In this case, you could cancel your subscription and wait for it to end. Once it has ended, you should definitely be able to redeem the Gift Card 🙂

If the issue persists, please reach out to Support at https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/.

MaximSpotify Star

Marked as solution

I learned from Spotify Support today that as long as you have an upcoming billing date, you cannot apply a gift card to your account. This basically affects anyone who is paying for a Premium Individual plan, since the gift cards are only good for Premium Individual.

So cancel your next bill—so in theory your account would lapse on that date—and then apply the gift card. You won't lose any of your Spotify plan benefits when you cancel your next bill.

25 Replies

It said " You can't apply this Premium code to your account. This is likely because you have an existing Premium subscription that cannot be combined with a Premium code." I tried to find a solution but the only answers I could were for if I had a family account, I have the premium individual plan on a monthly basis. I don't see a reason why I shouldn't be able to have the card start at the beginning of next month.

Hey @Cam3ronsnyder,

Thanks for reaching out.

Gift Cards can only be redemeed when you either have the Free or Premium Individual plan. There are lots of different plans and payment methods availahle that could be causing this issue.

If you'd like to redeem the Gift Card, you can cancel your subscription and wait until it has ended. Once it has ended, you should be back on the Free plan and should be able to redeem the Gift Card here.

I hope this helps 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Go vote for this idea  related to gift cards please:  https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/gift-card-premium-family/idi-p/5656639

Error Message: You can't apply this Premium code to your account. This is likely because you have an existing Premium subscription that cannot be combined with a Premium Code. This goes against a FAQ I read.

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out.

In which country are you located and what kind of payment method are you using?

Let me know 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

USA user - currently use automated pay from my cc, received a $30 GC and would like to use.

Marked as solution

Hey @HappyHubby,

Thanks for reaching out.

Please check if you have a payment method linked to your plan here. If you see the option to cancel there, feel free to do that as you won't lose any of your remaining Premium time. Once canceled, you can try redeeming the code again. 🙂

If the issue persists, I would suggest waiting another month before trying to redeem the Gift Card since there's a possibility that you're close to the 18-month restriction.

Let me know how it goes!

MaximSpotify Star

Hey @Lttlfriend,

Just to double-check, are you following the right steps to redeem the Gift Card?

Please also keep the following things in mind:

• The account’s country or region settings need to match where the gift card was purchased
  • If you bought your gift card from a retail store, it needs to be activated by the cashier
  • After 4 unsuccessful redeem attempts, you’ll get an error message. If you do, try again after 24 hours

Let me know how it goes 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

This did not work.  I applied these steps yesterday prior to posting. I have attached the error message I received. Just feeling beyond frustrated. 

Screenshot_20240111_091452_Chrome.jpg
Marked as solution

Hey @Lttlfriend,

In this case, you could cancel your subscription and wait for it to end. Once it has ended, you should definitely be able to redeem the Gift Card 🙂

If the issue persists, please reach out to Support at https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/.

MaximSpotify Star

Hi Maxim, Thank you! I am a little reluctant to cancel my premium subscription but the online help assures me it will continue anyway until my next billing date. I like the idea that Spotify can see how long I have been a loyal subscriber. I have set a reminder to try applying the gift card again in a month and if it still won't take it, I will cancel to see if it solves my problem. 

I'm try to redeem an annual gift card. I've checked all the numbers/letters three times, and tried uppercase and lowercase. I've tried on every device I have. I keep getting the message "You can't apply this Premium code to your account. This is likely because you have an existing Premium subscription that cannot be combined with a Premium code." I know it can't be applied to discounted plans, but I don't have one. My previous payment plan was also a 12 month gift card, and it runs out on 2/5/24. 

Appreciate any help that will let me keep my account. 

Plan

Individual Premium

Country

US

Device

(iPhone, Lenovo Laptop)

Operating System

(iOS 17, Windows 11,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Hi there!

Based on the information you've provided, this seems like it should be working.

According to this page, you will get an error message after 4 tries of redeeming a gift card. I'd recommend trying again in 24 hours.

You can also only stack 18 months of premium on your account. I'm not sure if this value updates month-to-month, or if it applies until the entire 12 months is up.

If your gift card continues to not work, I would recommend waiting until your premium lapses on 2/5/24, at which point your account would be unchanged, it would just switch to the free tier. Then, after that date, try redeeming your card again. If that doesn't help, you can contact Spotify Support here.

Let me know how it goes!

Adquirí una tarjeta de regalo spotify pero no puedo ingresar el código

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome. 

If the PIN is not working when you try to redeem it, it could be related to different factors. First, we'd recommend making sure you've entered the correct characters. Since a zero looks like a capital 'O', a capital 'I' looks like a one, or a capital "S" looks like a number five, we'd recommend testing with these other characters to see if it makes any difference.

Also, since the card gets activated when it's scanned by the cashier, make sure that the receipt you have has the Spotify card registered. If it has a number, check if it matches the serial number (not the PIN) of your card. Remember that the gift card must have been purchased in the same country where you are currently located and also match the country of your account.

Note: Keep in mind that after 4 attempts, you'll get an error message. If you do, you can try again after 24 hours.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

It says I can’t add a gift card to my account. I have been doing it for 2 years and never had an issue 

Hey @Mrpreble,

Thanks for reaching out.

Please share the exact error message you're seeing. 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

I get this error "You can't apply this Premium code to your account. This is likely because you have an existing Premium subscription that cannot be combined with a Premium code." I only have an individual premium account so I'm not sure why its not working.

Plan

Premium Individual

Country

United States

My Question or Issue

I have an existing individual premium subscription and am unable to redeem a gift card. I am receiving this error when I enter the gift card PIN. 

"You can't apply this Premium code to your account. This is likely because you have an existing Premium subscription that cannot be combined with a Premium code."

Is my gift card not redeemable?

Suggested posts