Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Changing countries without changing credit card?

Changing countries without changing credit card?

I'm a premium user and would like to change my country settings as I have moved from Canada to Mexico on an indefinite basis. However, Spotify indicates that in order to change the country, I must input a payment method issued by the new country...but I'm still using my Canadian credit card in Mexico. How can I change the country to Mexico?

3 Replies

Hey @sirchad,

Thanks for reaching out.

There are two options:

1. You cancel your subscription and downgrade to the Free plan, which will allow you to simply update your country setting via the account management page. You can then continue using Spotify as a Free member if you don't want to get a payment method that's been issued in Mexico.

2. You get a payment method that's been issued in Mexico, cancel your subscription, wait until you revert back to the Free plan, change your country setting and then upgrade back to Premium using your new payment method.

More info about changing country settings can be found at https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/account_basics/how-can-i-change-my-country-setting/.

Hope this clears things up!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Right, but in order to open banking/credit accounts in a foreign country, I would need to be a resident of that country. I am travelling long-term (1-2 years) in Mexico but won't be obtaining a Mexican credit card as I already have a Canadian credit card and am not a resident of Mexico.

I don't have the option to continue with my premium account at $9.99/month, only the Family subscription is available for $14.99/month. I do not need a family plan.

Can I purchase Spotify cards here in Mexico and use them to pay for a subscription?

You can go to stores near you and check if they sell Spotify Gift Cards.

If they do, you should have no issues redeeming them at https://spotify.com/redeem when your country setting is set to Mexico.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts